Oct 11th, '10, 21:30
Posts: 202
Joined: Mar 1st, '09, 10:32

Gaiwan ; No ! Only a Pair .

by zencha » Oct 11th, '10, 21:30

Went to Showplace Antique + Design Center in Chelsea yesterday .
Was looking at a pair of oversized antique Gaiwan
Because their oversized , and antique , I'm not sure if their Gaiwan or for some other use .
Holding one of them up I ask the Chinese sales lady , "Gaiwan" ?
No ! , she says , only a pair !
I inspect the one in my hand , then the other , and ask again , holding one up in the air in my hands .
"Gaiwan" ?
No ! Only a pair !

I then realized she though I was asking , " buy one " ?

User avatar
Oct 11th, '10, 22:45
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th, '08, 11:00
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Gaiwan ; No ! Only a Pair .

by Victoria » Oct 11th, '10, 22:45

Oh you wise gai, huh? LOL! How much were they?

Oct 11th, '10, 23:02
Posts: 202
Joined: Mar 1st, '09, 10:32

Re: Gaiwan ; No ! Only a Pair .

by zencha » Oct 11th, '10, 23:02

I think she said $800 ; for the pair .

User avatar
Oct 12th, '10, 01:26
Posts: 2625
Joined: May 31st, '08, 06:44
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Gaiwan ; No ! Only a Pair .

by Geekgirl » Oct 12th, '10, 01:26

covered rice bowls?

Oct 12th, '10, 01:49
Posts: 202
Joined: Mar 1st, '09, 10:32

Re: Gaiwan ; No ! Only a Pair .

by zencha » Oct 12th, '10, 01:49

...maybe covered rice bowls .