Oct 15th, '10, 14:29

How to discern quality glass teapots from junk?

by mosshorn » Oct 15th, '10, 14:29

Hi all, first (non welcome thread) post here :)

I've been looking for a glass teapot anywhere from 4-8oz (similar to Samovar's Glass oolong teapot), yet I get this feeling I could find a similar item cheaper. Does anyone recommend any smaller glass pots, or smaller affordable teapots in general for that matter? I get swept away by the design of quite a few, but not the $150+ pricetag :cry:

Oct 15th, '10, 14:44
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: How to discern quality glass teapots from junk?

by Victoria » Oct 15th, '10, 14:44

Oct 15th, '10, 14:48

by NOESIS » Oct 15th, '10, 14:48

Maybe try Dragon Teahouse. Very large selection.

http://stores.ebay.com/Dragon-Tea-House ... 34.c0.m322

Oct 15th, '10, 15:06

by Alex » Oct 15th, '10, 15:06

This eBay vendor only sells Y.W.Y glass which is made in Taiwan and is great stuff. Borosilicate Glass etc.

http://stores.ebay.com/China-Cha-Dao/Cl ... 34.c0.m322

Oct 15th, '10, 15:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Oct 15th, '10, 15:27

By the way ... Samovar's Glass oolong teapot for $150?? The only one I have seen is $25.00, right on the Samovar site.

Oct 15th, '10, 20:26

by britt » Oct 15th, '10, 20:26

Although I prefer porcelain to glass, this is a very good Taiwanese glass teapot. I've used it quite a bit, but have only used it for various Chinese and Taiwanese green teas. It's holds about 8 ounces and is quite light in weight for that size pot.

http://purepuer.com/puer_tea/do/product ... 0Tea%20Pot

Oct 15th, '10, 21:06

by entropyembrace » Oct 15th, '10, 21:06

Zensuji wrote:This eBay vendor only sells Y.W.Y glass which is made in Taiwan and is great stuff. Borosilicate Glass etc.

http://stores.ebay.com/China-Cha-Dao/Cl ... 34.c0.m322
The vendor says they´re from China. Nothing wrong with that, but better to say where they´re actually from. They´re heat resistant borosilicate glass, a good price and seem to be shaped nicely from the photos. Same goes for the ones from Dragon Tea House.

Like I´ve said before heat resistant glass is not an expensive material (unlike some of the famous clays like yixing and tokoname) so you really shouldn´t be paying much for one...definitely nowhere near $150 o.O

I regularly use glassware than can be rapidly heated to 800ºC+ without cracking (that´s hot enough to free sodium ions from the crystal structure) and anything that´s not been accurately graduated to measure volume is considered disposable because it´s so inexpensive to replace. Point being heat resistant glass is inexpensive...don´t pay more than China Cha Dao is asking for their glassware.

Oct 15th, '10, 21:14

by debunix » Oct 15th, '10, 21:14

britt wrote:Although I prefer porcelain to glass, this is a very good Taiwanese glass teapot. I've used it quite a bit, but have only used it for various Chinese and Taiwanese green teas. It's holds about 8 ounces and is quite light in weight for that size pot.

http://purepuer.com/puer_tea/do/product ... 0Tea%20Pot
I love my little glass teapot like this, and if it came with an alternative finer strainer so it wouldn't clog with sencha I would brew everything in it when I wanted to work with a little larger volume, just to enjoy the lovely brewing tea.

BTW, I pay $8.99 for these in my local chinatown tea shop.

Oct 16th, '10, 03:08

by Alex » Oct 16th, '10, 03:08

entropyembrace wrote:The vendor says they´re from China. Nothing wrong with that, but better to say where they´re actually from.
The vendor that britt mentioned sells Y.W.Y under taiwan and other vendors that I've used list it as taiwan as well. My Y.W.Y pitcher came with "made in Taiwan" on the box but it was from a different vendor. So just going on my own experience.

Edit: Did a little research and it seems they have a factory in Shanghai as well....thus the confusion 8)

Oct 20th, '10, 13:00

by hyakuraiju » Oct 20th, '10, 13:00

I bought a glass kyusu from the ebay vendor mentioned above. I recieved the package in 30 days and it was all bashed up, but luckliy nothing was damaged. The pot is very thin and seems fragile, the lid does not fit snuggly, and sencha and other chopped leaves get clogged in the strainer. Overall though, i'd say it's still worth it for the price. I looked on ebay some more and found a simular one for $20 with free shipping.

+ Post Reply