Feb 16th, '11, 12:52

Where to find a storage jar for a tong of Puerh bing cha?

by Abracadaver! » Feb 16th, '11, 12:52

I went to purchase a puerh storage jar from a local spot yesterday, only to find out that they were completely sold out and wont be getting more for "at least three months."

I see them around every now and a gain, but they are always being used an never for sale. Does anyone have any recommendations for a source for jars or canisters large enough to hold a tong of Puerh bing cha?

Feb 16th, '11, 13:21

Re: Where to find a storage jar for a tong of Puerh bing cha?

by bearsbearsbears » Feb 16th, '11, 13:21

Imperial Tea Court just added jars big enough for tongs, but they're pricey (~$300).

My other suggestion would be to search in Chinatown and/or other Asian neighborhoods for tea, decor and ginseng shops. They might carry something more reasonably priced.

That, or commission one of the resident tea artisans here on tea chat to make you something custom! :D

Feb 16th, '11, 13:55

by wyardley » Feb 16th, '11, 13:55

Wing Hop Fung here in LA had them sometimes, but the ones they had were kind of ugly.

I think you can use big Kimchi jars too, if you can find them.

If the tea is already a wrapped tong, I don't know that you really need a jar, especially if you don't live somewhere super humid.

Feb 16th, '11, 20:15

by zencha » Feb 16th, '11, 20:15

Try :
Jade Garden Arts & Crafts
76 Mulberry St # A, New York, NY 10013-4437
(212) 587-568

Luh Yu Tea Emporium
137-03 Northern Blvd.Flushing, NY 11354Tel:
(718) 353-5632

Purion Tea Jar from :
LIN’S CERAMICS STUDIO
aurlia1983@aurlia.com.tw
http://www.aurlia.com.tw/index.php?opti ... 80&lang=en

Feb 16th, '11, 23:31

by Abracadaver! » Feb 16th, '11, 23:31

Thanks for the good advice, everyone.

BBB: I saw those jars on itc's site. Are the lid openings big enough for a bing? At any rate, they are pretty pricey. I've been thinking that commissioning one from one of the resident artisans might be the way to go.

Wyardley: good call on the kimchi pot. I haven't been able to find a large onggi Pot in k-town here, but maybe in Flushing?

Zencha: those are some solid recommendations. Unfortunately, jade garden is the place I was referring to. They are fresh out. I've eyeballed the jar from lin's before, but it's pretty spendy, especially with shipping. As for luh yu, I hadn't thought of them. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks again, everyone!

Feb 17th, '11, 02:31

by bearsbearsbears » Feb 17th, '11, 02:31

Abracadaver! wrote:BBB: I saw those jars on itc's site. Are the lid openings big enough for a bing? At any rate, they are pretty pricey. I've been thinking that commissioning one from one of the resident artisans might be the way to go.
The email announcing the jars indicates that the "golden pear" holds 18 cakes and the bamboo shape holds 10. The email indicated that the round jars are for storage of loose puerh.

If you're going to pay upwards of $100, you might as well try to have a one-of-a-kind made to your specifications.

Feb 21st, '11, 23:55

by wyardley » Feb 21st, '11, 23:55

Wing Hop Fung in LA (the Monterey Park one) has a couple for < $100. One of them is pretty plain looking red clay, with a bull nose type lid. Actually fairly nice. The other is a little elaborate for my taste. I didn't test, but pretty sure they're designed to hold puer cakes. You might be able to get a friend here to pick one up for you, however, probably not worth shipping, and might be hard to avoid having it break.

I took a couple pictures, just in case anyone's interested.

Feb 22nd, '11, 18:38

by tenuki » Feb 22nd, '11, 18:38

I got mine from a local shop in Seattle for < 100 (NCTG). I have three at this point but will probably be getting a couple more. Trying to get different styles so I have to wait for their yearly shipment. :D The smallest fits 7 beengs, the larger one around 10.

Feb 22nd, '11, 18:44

by tenuki » Feb 22nd, '11, 18:44

wyardley wrote: Image
Oh, I really like this one! I'll have to take this picture in to NCTG and ask for that style next year. :D

Dec 12th, '11, 23:16

by Abracadaver! » Dec 12th, '11, 23:16

I ask Petr Novak to make a Puerh storage jar for me, and here is the amazing result:

Dec 12th, '11, 23:51

by debunix » Dec 12th, '11, 23:51

Would anyone here worry about storing several beengs of different puerhs in jars like this, rather than a tong of just one kind? I'm thinking less of mixing and matching extremes, like very smoky young teas with mellow oldsters, but more of grouping my rather random collection into a jar of young shengs being deliberately aged, a jar of mellower not-quite-so-strongly scented shengs, and a jar of shus?

They're all sitting in close proximity in their current paper wrappers and many with an additional layer of cloth, in drawers or cupboards, but not quite as closed in as the jars.

Dec 13th, '11, 06:06

by Tead Off » Dec 13th, '11, 06:06

debunix wrote:Would anyone here worry about storing several beengs of different puerhs in jars like this, rather than a tong of just one kind? I'm thinking less of mixing and matching extremes, like very smoky young teas with mellow oldsters, but more of grouping my rather random collection into a jar of young shengs being deliberately aged, a jar of mellower not-quite-so-strongly scented shengs, and a jar of shus?

They're all sitting in close proximity in their current paper wrappers and many with an additional layer of cloth, in drawers or cupboards, but not quite as closed in as the jars.
I would not put good cakes of different types of Puerh together in jars for the obvious reasons. You wouldn't put sencha and wuyi teas in the same caddy, would you? The unique aroma of having a single tea in one caddy is very apparent when you lift the lid and smell what's inside.

I love Petr's large? puerh jar. Great to look to it.

These are some of Seong il's puerh jars(all sold) in case anyone hasn't seen any on my site. Onggi clay on all but the last which is porcelain. Onggi is a great clay for storage of any teas.
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/458415/3 ... s?h=0fa450

Dec 16th, '11, 21:23

by jackdaniel » Dec 16th, '11, 21:23

I'd love to see some other large jars for beengs.

If anyone's interested in smaller jars for loose tea I have two posted in the Tea Swap section of the site: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=16728

Dec 16th, '11, 22:04

by bagua7 » Dec 16th, '11, 22:04

I have seen Yixing jars over at Zishateapot's page:

http://www.zishateapot.co.uk/yixing-sto ... 01lun1uv83

Probably best to contact them about capacities and if customised orders are required.

Good luck.

+ Post Reply