Apr 21st, '11, 17:01

Storing and drinking medium quantities

by tortoise » Apr 21st, '11, 17:01

I am beginning to feel the desire to purchase higher quantities of the teas I like to drink on a daily basis in the roasted oolong category.

I'm thinking specifically of buying, storing -- but drinking regularly -- 200 to 400g of something like shui xian or high fired tie guan yin.

If I know I like a tea, 100g just isn't enough, but my biggest storage vessels store roughly 100 g for rolled oolong and even less of longer, twisted varieties.

Are any of you buying favorites in 200-500g quantities? Not for long term storage, but for daily drinking. If so, what kind of jars/canisters are you using to do so? I'm interested in anything from utilitarian washi, to nicer antiques.

Apr 21st, '11, 17:16

Re: Storing and drinking medium quantities

by wyardley » Apr 21st, '11, 17:16

I use mostly a combination of ceramic canisters (the Beehouse style), a couple of earthenware caddies, pewter / tin caddies, and fairly heavy, non-smelly foil bags of one sort or another (whether my own, or the ones the tea comes in). The bags are probably the cheapest and most sensible option for long term storage of large quantities of tea.

Also, balled teas are generally pretty compact... even 500-600g of it will fit in a medium sized container.

Apr 21st, '11, 17:22
Scrolling: fixed

by Bob_McBob » Apr 21st, '11, 17:22

If you are buying such huge quantities, it's probably a better idea to store the bulk of it in the original packaging, and transfer to your regular container as needed.

Apr 21st, '11, 17:34

by tortoise » Apr 21st, '11, 17:34

Bob_McBob wrote:If you are buying such huge quantities, it's probably a better idea to store the bulk of it in the original packaging, and transfer to your regular container as needed.
I don't think the quantities are that large, really. Probably more like 300g would be what I'd want to have on hand. If they came in, say, 3 - 100g vacuum sealed bags, I could just go one at a time, though that's not always the case.

I don't mean to present this as some kind of serious conundrum, I know I could go to target and buy some generic stuff, I'm just curious what you all do.

Apr 21st, '11, 17:45

by tortoise » Apr 21st, '11, 17:45

wyardley wrote:I use mostly a combination of ceramic canisters (the Beehouse style), a couple of earthenware caddies, pewter / tin caddies,
maybe i should peruse our TC artisans. Thanks, Will.

Apr 21st, '11, 18:15
Scrolling: fixed

by Bob_McBob » Apr 21st, '11, 18:15

tortoise wrote:I don't think the quantities are that large, really. Probably more like 300g would be what I'd want to have on hand. If they came in, say, 3 - 100g vacuum sealed bags, I could just go one at a time, though that's not always the case.

I don't mean to present this as some kind of serious conundrum, I know I could go to target and buy some generic stuff, I'm just curious what you all do.
Well, what I meant was 300-600g is a lot to go through in a reasonable amount of time. If I were you, I would keep the tea in the original (airtight, I assume) packaging and transfer 100g at at time to your usual container as needed. This avoids having all the tea in a big container being opened multiple times a day.

Or are you intending to do this anyway and just looking for a nice big container for your main stash?

Apr 21st, '11, 18:16

by MarshalN » Apr 21st, '11, 18:16

I buy tea in the kilos -- they stay in the plastic bags until I open them.

Apr 21st, '11, 18:44

by tortoise » Apr 21st, '11, 18:44

Bob_McBob wrote:
Or are you intending to do this anyway and just looking for a nice big container for your main stash?
That's the idea. Just curious what type of larger containers others are using.

MarshalN, when you break into a kilo or larger bag, do you dish out very small amounts at a time and tie back up your larger bag? How much are you keeping out for easy access at one time from one type of tea?

Apr 21st, '11, 19:12

by MarshalN » Apr 21st, '11, 19:12

Tell the vendors to pack them in bags that are suitable for your consumption needs. For me that's usually 150g

Apr 22nd, '11, 03:40

by betta » Apr 22nd, '11, 03:40

I used to buy taiwanese and DHP oolong in 250g quantities. For daily use, I got the tea packed into small packs, each contains about 5-6 g tea.

Or just store the entire tea in a double boiler (pointed with green arrow).

Apr 22nd, '11, 04:50

by David R. » Apr 22nd, '11, 04:50

Very nice Lin's jars, betta, and kettle !

Apr 22nd, '11, 08:40

by tortoise » Apr 22nd, '11, 08:40

betta wrote:I used to buy taiwanese and DHP oolong in 250g quantities. For daily use, I got the tea packed into small packs, each contains about 5-6 g tea.

Or just store the entire tea in a double boiler (pointed with green arrow).
Hey, thanks for the visual! Where is the big clay container from and how much does it hold?

Apr 22nd, '11, 10:36

by betta » Apr 22nd, '11, 10:36

David R. wrote:Very nice Lin's jars, betta, and kettle !
Thanks, David. I still haven't found a handy way of using that ginbin.
tortoise wrote: Hey, thanks for the visual! Where is the big clay container from and how much does it hold?
The big container is meant for storing puerh. It Lin's storage jar and you can find it here. I bought it years ago; you can e-mail them to ask the current price. It holds about 2x400g broken (not loose) puerh tea. I'll pm you about the price last time I bought.

Apr 22nd, '11, 14:26

by whatsinaname » Apr 22nd, '11, 14:26

Good discussion.

Along similar lines, what is the preferred storage for these 150g vacuum sealed portions from the vendor? Room temperature, refrigerated, frozen?

How long are greener oolongs (or other teas) going to be good/optimum when stored in vacuum-sealed bags?
MarshalN wrote:Tell the vendors to pack them in bags that are suitable for your consumption needs. For me that's usually 150g

+ Post Reply