Safe Matcha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 4th 11 5:25 am
Posts: 98
Joined: Jan 10th 09 10:01 am
Location: Tel Aviv Israel

Safe Matcha?

by ummaya » Aug 4th 11 5:25 am

Hello,

Yesterday I have placed my first order of Matcha and my choice was the Organic Matcha Koaru from O-Cha. Later, I noticed that the Matcha Koaru is grown in the Aichi prefecture situated about 400 kilometers (250 miles) from the Fukushima plant. Considering the radiation level situation in Japan (about which I admit to be quite confused when I read all the information - sometime contradicting information) was it an unsafe choice?

User avatar
Aug 4th 11 6:21 am
Posts: 317
Joined: Nov 22nd 10 1:00 am

Re: Safe Matcha?

by SlientSipper » Aug 4th 11 6:21 am

I was nearby that place and Drank Matcha. Barely a month after the quake.
I even drank a couple bowls of actually.
I'm not sick.
I'm not glowing.
So I'd say you made a safe choice. :)

User avatar
Aug 4th 11 6:30 am
Posts: 109
Joined: May 16th 11 1:27 am

Re: Safe Matcha?

by Cole » Aug 4th 11 6:30 am

Kevin (the owner of O-Cha) can chime in more about this particular tea, but I know he's mentioned testing his teas for radiation and removing any teas from areas with high levels of radiation. If it's on the site, I'd say it's relatively safe -- 400km is a pretty good distance from the reactors.

Aug 4th 11 6:31 am
Posts: 98
Joined: Jan 10th 09 10:01 am
Location: Tel Aviv Israel

Re: Safe Matcha?

by ummaya » Aug 4th 11 6:31 am

SlientSipper wrote: I'm not glowing.
Yet :wink:

User avatar
Aug 4th 11 5:16 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Safe Matcha?

by Chip » Aug 4th 11 5:16 pm

I personally have not heard of reports of radiation contamination in tea from Aichi.

It appears that Kevin has removed products that he feels would raise questions or health concerns based upon actual reported testing by government testing agencies. Thus all 2011 Shizuoka teas are currently not available from O-Cha.

So, I am sure you have no worries.

User avatar
Aug 7th 11 12:45 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 267
Joined: Jul 13th 09 3:43 pm
Location: Japan

Re: Safe Matcha?

by Kevangogh » Aug 7th 11 12:45 am

Not heard one single report of radiation in Aichi, no...

Aug 7th 11 1:05 am
Posts: 65
Joined: Jun 29th 11 5:57 pm
Location: Lawrence, KS

Re: Safe Matcha?

by strickmr » Aug 7th 11 1:05 am

If I get radiation poisoning from tea, I'll die a happy, slow, and painful death. But it'll taste reaaaaaaally good in the process.