varieTEA

We're always open to a little constructive criticism.

Aug 8th, '11, 19:23

varieTEA

by Phenixmirage » Aug 8th, '11, 19:23

Other than an odd plastic-y smell which I hope will go away with time, I'm quite happy with my varieTEA. The only problem I've had that the "keep warm" won't turn on at the 212 degree setting. It works at any other temperature, but not 212.

Does anyone know if this is this intentional, or is my model slightly defective?

Aug 8th, '11, 19:56
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: varieTEA

by Chip » Aug 8th, '11, 19:56

:lol: I automatically went with the 212 setting and could not get the keep warm to go on either. I never tried it with the other temp settings. I did not consider that this setting would not work for 212, until I received a replacement. The same thing occurred ...

Then finally "the light went on," it could not keep warm for 30 minutes at boiling temp, this would be a disaster. :oops:

At this point I finally decided to try the other temps with the keep warm, and it worked great.

If anything, perhaps the directions should include this tidbit of info.

I have not double checked the temps yet, but I like its quiet operation and the option of doing a BIG kettle of water. At 57 ounces, it is almost 2X the size of my previous kettles including the utiliTEA.

It is definitely a much nicer unit than the utilTEA and other similar kettles. I am liking it!

Aug 10th, '11, 08:13

by Phenixmirage » Aug 10th, '11, 08:13

Chip wrote:Then finally "the light went on," it could not keep warm for 30 minutes at boiling temp, this would be a disaster. :oops:
Well, when you put it like that... :lol: I suppose it makes sense. Though I agree that they should clarify that in the directions.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the varieTEA. It seems to be a nice improvement on the utiliTEA. (removable pouring filter, exact temps, larger capacity, etc) :)

Nov 7th, '11, 16:59

by Drax » Nov 7th, '11, 16:59

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was looking at purchasing a kettle for work, and I was considering the varieTEA.

I noticed that on Adagio's site, the kettle has a really low rating, apparently due to a fair number of people suffering "casualties" after just over 30 days.

For those of you who have the kettle, how's it working? I'm a little nervous about investing $100 in something that can go kaput with a simple electric problem (compared to the simpler utiliTEA that's just a basic heating element and resistance dial and has survived, so far, 3 years of my abuse).

Nov 7th, '11, 18:36

by Chip » Nov 7th, '11, 18:36

I received mine almost right off the boat. 8) It has performed flawlessly with seemingly constant use.

It is also much larger than the utiliTea, almost 2X the max capacity.

Definitely a much more attractive unit/base as well.

Nov 12th, '11, 00:55

by njnjr23 » Nov 12th, '11, 00:55

Mine has seen a ton of use in the few months that I have had it. Has worked perfectly for me, with no issues to date.

Nov 12th, '11, 09:05

by JRS22 » Nov 12th, '11, 09:05

I also pre-ordered mine so I've been using it since day 1. I like it so much that I keep it on my kitchen table. I've begun to take advantage of the temp settings by adjusting temps for later steeps. I realize I could have done this with my old kettle, but this is so much more relaxing.

Nov 12th, '11, 09:25

by Chip » Nov 12th, '11, 09:25

JRS22 wrote:I also pre-ordered mine so I've been using it since day 1. I like it so much that I keep it on my kitchen table and I've begun to adjust temps for later steeps.
:wink: I have never placed an electric kettle along with its base unit on the "TeaTable" but too have begun to place the complete varieTEA there every day. Partly because it actually looks pretty nice, nice enough to be a welcome addition ...

Nov 12th, '11, 10:30

by laura99 » Nov 12th, '11, 10:30

Any chance that the varieTea is any quieter than the utiliTea? I guess boiling water will be noisy no matter what, but thought it was worth asking.

I was excited when I saw this come out, much more attractive and flexible, but thought it may be a big too large. But I am rethinking that his may be the perfect christmas gift for myself :)

Nov 12th, '11, 11:32

by Chip » Nov 12th, '11, 11:32

laura99 wrote:Any chance that the varieTea is any quieter than the utiliTea? I guess boiling water will be noisy no matter what, but thought it was worth asking.

I was excited when I saw this come out, much more attractive and flexible, but thought it may be a big too large. But I am rethinking that his may be the perfect christmas gift for myself :)
Funny you ask this ... I remember thinking this was pretty quiet from the very first boil. It is much quieter than the 3 past units I have had while it is heating/boiling. And there are no beeps or clicks as the unit shuts off. It is more ... zen. :mrgreen:

It is large, but it looks good. So it does not bother me. TBH, I never used the gauge on the utiliTea and have not once on the varieTEA. I just look in as I am pouring water into the kettle. I know where to stop based on how much I plan on using.

Nov 12th, '11, 11:56

by laura99 » Nov 12th, '11, 11:56

Thanks for the feedback Chip. At work, where I am sitting next to it I don't tend to use the gauge either. I can tell by the sound about where the temp is at. At home I am more likely to walk away while its heating up, so the lower temp is good to stop it in case I don't! Although often that will be a bit too hot.

So I have some thinking to do... The size and looks of the unit makes me want one at home, but quieter would fit good at work. (I have a utiliTea in both places now).

Nov 12th, '11, 12:38

by Chip » Nov 12th, '11, 12:38

laura99 wrote:Thanks for the feedback Chip. At work, where I am sitting next to it I don't tend to use the gauge either. I can tell by the sound about where the temp is at. At home I am more likely to walk away while its heating up, so the lower temp is good to stop it in case I don't! Although often that will be a bit too hot.

So I have some thinking to do... The size and looks of the unit makes me want one at home, but quieter would fit good at work. (I have a utiliTea in both places now).
... oops, by gauge I meant the water level gauge. :mrgreen:

I always go to full boil ... well 95% of the time. The variable temp is nice and easy for anyone needing one. The keep warm feature is nice too.

Nov 14th, '11, 17:43

by Drax » Nov 14th, '11, 17:43

Thanks for the additional notes, everybody! I went ahead and ordered the kettle a couple of days ago... I've been currently failing attempts for UPS to hand it over... maybe I'll have better luck today, *cross fingers*...

Jan 13th, '12, 15:15

by Drax » Jan 13th, '12, 15:15

Given my initial concerns, I thought I would follow-up in this thread on the varieTEA. I've been using it at work, and it has been really great. It's got a large capacity, very solid build, and makes no noise other than the sound of boiling water (which, admittedly, can get a little noisy) -- though I would say it has more of a baritone sound when compared to the utiliTEA's tenor.

In any case, no complaints on this kettle, and it's still working after a few months, so I think we're past the break-in phase. :D

Jan 21st, '12, 14:46

by Phenixmirage » Jan 21st, '12, 14:46

6 months later, an update on my varieTEA. The plastic-y smell did go away after a while (yay!), but the kettle has developed a slow, intermittent leak at the base of the handle where the plastic meets the stainless steel, and it seems to be getting worse. :(

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I don't feel comfortable using the kettle with it leaking like this, and I can't easily afford replacing it (they're out of stock right now anyway).

Has anyone else had this problem? I saw reviews from others who got the preorder batch that complained about similar issues. I hoped I'd dodged the bullet, but I guess it was just slower getting to me. :|

+ Post Reply