Mar 20th, '15, 21:57
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Not my teaware.....but I wish it were....

by William » Mar 20th, '15, 21:57

Chip wrote:Yeah, I have been eying Konishi Yohei for years, but at half the price, Yamada has been indulgent enough.
Although I do not own any Yamada's kyusu, I agree! :mrgreen:

Maybe one day, Chip .. :roll:

Mar 20th, '15, 23:15

by PEARL » Mar 20th, '15, 23:15

Chip wrote:OK, I'll play ... Yamada Sou mayake (wood fired). Might be the best mayake kyusu I have seen by Yamada. What do you think?

Gorgeous, well that pot certainly wasn't available long, wonder what teachatter got that beauty :mrgreen:

Also, total newb, are the mayake style pots made of the same shudei red clay just fired differently, and what effect does that have on the brew?

Mar 20th, '15, 23:35

by Chip » Mar 20th, '15, 23:35

PEARL wrote:
Chip wrote:OK, I'll play ... Yamada Sou mayake (wood fired). Might be the best mayake kyusu I have seen by Yamada. What do you think?
Gorgeous, well that pot certainly wasn't available long, wonder what teachatter got that :mrgreen:
Spoken like a TeaChat lurker, now member. :wink:

Yezzz, who purchased my ... precious?

Mar 21st, '15, 03:38

by Alex » Mar 21st, '15, 03:38

Wow that got snapped up! Anything around or under 200ml with his work seems to go in seconds. I'm actually surprised Toru doesn't stock more small pieces. Seems the larger the piece the longer its on his site. I guess it comes down to he has to take what he can get.

Mar 21st, '15, 09:28

by Drax » Mar 21st, '15, 09:28

Interesting, there's not a lot of information on "mayake." Toru says it means wood-fired. The kanji involved are 真焼(け). That first symbol means "reality" or "true." It's used in lots of things, but also colors, like "masshiro" would be pure white. The second symbol is the one used for "cooking" or in this case, the baking of pottery. different styles of pottery, typically pronounced "yaki" (like takoyaki, or hagiyaki), but here it is "yake." All together, it is "true firing," which I guess in a sense is wood firing.

Anyway, language lesson over. :wink:

I thought it was interesting that the pot had an almost bizen look to it. I suppose that's due to the wood firing. These last two or three pots had a much glossier look than the previous mayake pots (some of which are still available). I suppose that Yamada is testing different glazes?

I liked the look of the other one that has sold (with the straighter handle and the inset lid), but I was not so much a fan of the sea-shell impressions on it (as subtle as they were).

Mar 21st, '15, 10:43

by Chip » Mar 21st, '15, 10:43

I will attempt to find out about the clay of the mayake. Toru is not Hojo in this regard and is often mystified by the Western obsession of clay. :mrgreen: We have had discussions on this topic.

While I am at it, may ask about the clay of the ao kyusu-s as well.

Mar 21st, '15, 10:56

by Chip » Mar 21st, '15, 10:56

Alex wrote:Wow that got snapped up! Anything around or under 200ml with his work seems to go in seconds. I'm actually surprised Toru doesn't stock more small pieces. Seems the larger the piece the longer its on his site. I guess it comes down to he has to take what he can get.
Yeah, the ball shaped shudei with raised lid at 190 ml was a beauty too. That went first.
Drax wrote:Interesting, there's not a lot of information on "mayake." Toru says it means wood-fired. The kanji involved are 真焼(け). That first symbol means "reality" or "true." It's used in lots of things, but also colors, like "masshiro" would be pure white. The second symbol is the one used for "cooking" or in this case, the baking of pottery. different styles of pottery, typically pronounced "yaki" (like takoyaki, or hagiyaki), but here it is "yake." All together, it is "true firing," which I guess in a sense is wood firing.

Anyway, language lesson over. :wink:

I thought it was interesting that the pot had an almost bizen look to it. I suppose that's due to the wood firing. These last two or three pots had a much glossier look than the previous mayake pots (some of which are still available). I suppose that Yamada is testing different glazes?

I liked the look of the other one that has sold (with the straighter handle and the inset lid), but I was not so much a fan of the sea-shell impressions on it (as subtle as they were).
Thank you for the information!

Oddly, I like the shell impressions as a variation of theme. But I definitely prefer the raised lids ... but also oddly, I brew ... lids off most of the time.

I also noted the bizenesque look of this one which drew me to it. Like you said, much different from his previous mayake ... that we see anyway.

Mar 21st, '15, 11:25

by BioHorn » Mar 21st, '15, 11:25

but also oddly, I brew ... lids off most of the time.
Interesting. It seems many times lids are superfluous. I too tend to just take the lid off.

Mar 21st, '15, 12:47

by bellmont » Mar 21st, '15, 12:47

Mar 21st, '15, 14:03

by BioHorn » Mar 21st, '15, 14:03

bellmont wrote:This is interesting...

http://zuiju-collection.com/xinwen1.asp?id=88
Great work by Hiroyuki Tomita
Instagram:
http://instagram.com/tomi1111

http://tomitahiroyuki.tumblr.com/

Check out his installation pieces!

Mar 21st, '15, 14:26

by Chip » Mar 21st, '15, 14:26

BioHorn wrote:
but also oddly, I brew ... lids off most of the time.
Interesting. It seems many times lids are superfluous. I too tend to just take the lid off.
And yet, if the lid was broken ... it would bother me. I like to have the pot and lid before I start brewing, aesthetics I guess. Sometimes, I like to simply admire the complete pot, on the shelf, in my hands.

I have a mid range Yoshiki that seems to have a minor repair and almost seems to perhaps not be a match to the pot ... bothered me for a while.

Mar 23rd, '15, 09:34

by Chip » Mar 23rd, '15, 09:34

PEARL wrote:

Gorgeous, well that pot certainly wasn't available long, wonder what teachatter got that beauty :mrgreen:

Also, total newb, are the mayake style pots made of the same shudei red clay just fired differently, and what effect does that have on the brew?
OK, I asked Toru regarding the clay used by Yamada Sou ... actually extended the question a bit. Here is his reply.
Toru wrote:The clay used for shudei and mayake are the same. Sou blends his own based on the traditional clay
used by his family. The shudei clay has iron oxide added.
The white clay for Aoyu comes from Shigaraki.
Iron oxide is a common ingredient used in Tokoname, it darkens the fired clay. TBH, I figured it was added the his Kyusu clay but it is good to know. But, now I am curious if he ever does not add iron oxide and what the finished product would look like! :mrgreen:

A case of not quite sure ... is iron oxide added also to the Mayake clay???

Mar 24th, '15, 13:25

by PEARL » Mar 24th, '15, 13:25

Chip wrote: OK, I asked Toru regarding the clay used by Yamada Sou ... actually extended the question a bit. Here is his reply.
Toru wrote:The clay used for shudei and mayake are the same. Sou blends his own based on the traditional clay
used by his family. The shudei clay has iron oxide added.
The white clay for Aoyu comes from Shigaraki.
Iron oxide is a common ingredient used in Tokoname, it darkens the fired clay. TBH, I figured it was added the his Kyusu clay but it is good to know. But, now I am curious if he ever does not add iron oxide and what the finished product would look like! :mrgreen:

A case of not quite sure ... is iron oxide added also to the Mayake clay???
Thanks for the info Chip, and also Drax.

Mar 25th, '15, 21:45

by debunix » Mar 25th, '15, 21:45

Here's a swirly-whirly dreamy cup from Shyrabbit....and lovely things to the left and right of it, of course.

Mar 26th, '15, 11:01
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 26th, '15, 11:01

thanks for posting those, debunix. The whilry.... seems like a cup that could cheer one up. All of those would be fun to own

+ Post Reply