Grassy / vegetal flavors

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 6th 11 12:18 pm
Posts: 224
Joined: Aug 28th 11 12:08 pm

Grassy / vegetal flavors

by Noonie » Nov 6th 11 12:18 pm

I've been drinking loose leaf tea (daily) for a few months. I'm still experimenting with different types of tea, though I've found I do not like tea with what I think is described as a grassy and/or vegetal Flavour. One tea I've had where I find this flavor too strong for my liking is dragonwell tea. I'm guessing that not all dragon well teas have this flavor, so I'm not completely ruling them out.

Anyway, my question - are most (or just some) green teas noted for this type of flavor?

Being new I'm still buying new types of tea to see what I like, though I'm starting to narrow down what I know I really like (Darjeeling, wuyi oolong, Formosa oolong, tie guan yin--with these I've tried several different types of each and liked all of them).

I haven't tried a lot of green, but if you have suggestions of types that are not what I describe as grassy /vegetal, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

User avatar
Nov 6th 11 4:05 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Grassy / vegetal flavors

by Chip » Nov 6th 11 4:05 pm

For dragonwell, maybe bringing the temp down a bit will help. And/or brew time and/or how much leaf you use.

I tend to gravitate towards the greens that are more veggie/grassy. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Nov 7th 11 1:01 am
Posts: 5896
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Grassy / vegetal flavors

by debunix » Nov 7th 11 1:01 am

I have found a LOT of variation in the grassiness of dragonwell. Some is very nutty, some sharp, some more delicately pea-sweet (my personal preference). Different grades, different sources all seem to vary a lot.

User avatar
Nov 13th 11 7:46 am
Posts: 317
Joined: Nov 22nd 10 1:00 am

Re: Grassy / vegetal flavors

by SlientSipper » Nov 13th 11 7:46 am

Noonie wrote:I've been drinking loose leaf tea (daily) for a few months. I'm still experimenting with different types of tea, though I've found I do not like tea with what I think is described as a grassy and/or vegetal Flavour. One tea I've had where I find this flavor too strong for my liking is dragonwell tea. I'm guessing that not all dragon well teas have this flavor, so I'm not completely ruling them out.

Anyway, my question - are most (or just some) green teas noted for this type of flavor?

Being new I'm still buying new types of tea to see what I like, though I'm starting to narrow down what I know I really like (Darjeeling, wuyi oolong, Formosa oolong, tie guan yin--with these I've tried several different types of each and liked all of them).

I haven't tried a lot of green, but if you have suggestions of types that are not what I describe as grassy /vegetal, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Kuding-Cha is quite grassy and can be quite bitter.
It also one of the easiest to brew.
I think Pouchong can be grassy too.

User avatar
Dec 31st 11 9:50 pm
Posts: 1136
Joined: Dec 2nd 07 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: Grassy / vegetal flavors

by joelbct » Dec 31st 11 9:50 pm

Chip wrote:I tend to gravitate towards the greens that are more veggie/grassy. :mrgreen:
Mwahaha, Chiran Kago super-grass ;)

For Dragonwell, I prefer the nutty savory batches.

Japanese tea is usually the grassiest, in a good way, although low end Chinese can be grassy in a bad way...

User avatar
Dec 31st 11 10:45 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Grassy / vegetal flavors

by Chip » Dec 31st 11 10:45 pm

joelbct wrote:Japanese tea is usually the grassiest, in a good way, although low end Chinese can be grassy in a bad way...
+1!

User avatar
Jan 1st 12 6:59 am
Posts: 218
Joined: Mar 8th 11 3:25 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Grassy / vegetal flavors

by FlyedPiper » Jan 1st 12 6:59 am

Greens in general are grassy/vegital... especially Chinese greens. I'd get into roasted oolongs and puerhs- those might be more up your alley.

Jan 1st 12 7:11 am
Posts: 77
Joined: Sep 5th 09 8:25 am
Location: Suburban Washington D.C.

Re: Grassy / vegetal flavors

by kasey » Jan 1st 12 7:11 am

Green teas in general tend to be fussy with regard to brewing temperature and time. Try gunpowder tea. It's got a very tasty sweet/smoky pungency to it. 175 degrees at 3 minutes.

User avatar
Jan 11th 12 1:39 pm
Posts: 1136
Joined: Dec 2nd 07 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: Grassy / vegetal flavors

by joelbct » Jan 11th 12 1:39 pm

Chip wrote:
joelbct wrote:Japanese tea is usually the grassiest, in a good way, although low end Chinese can be grassy in a bad way...
+1!
Image

The word "grassy" gets thrown around a lot, but I've never actually eaten grass come to think of it, so I'm not sure it's the word I'd use... Must be some sort of vestigial collective-ancestor memory instinct, did we have grass-eating ancestors? lol maybe we didn't actually...

So I would say, good Japanese Sencha is vegetal in a succulent, balanced, composed, intense, flavorful, moderately acidic/astringent, generally delicious way.

Low-end Chinese Green, and sometimes low-end Japanese, like store-bought bagged tea, is vegetal in a harsh, shallow, grating, bitter, two-dimensional way...

User avatar
Jan 11th 12 2:05 pm
Vendor Member
Posts: 438
Joined: Jan 7th 11 9:25 am
Location: Japan, Nagasaki

Re: Grassy / vegetal flavors

by Xell » Jan 11th 12 2:05 pm

joelbct wrote:
Chip wrote:
joelbct wrote:Japanese tea is usually the grassiest, in a good way, although low end Chinese can be grassy in a bad way...
+1!
Image

The word "grassy" gets thrown around a lot, but I've never actually eaten grass come to think of it, so I'm not sure it's the word I'd use... Must be some sort of vestigial collective-ancestor memory instinct, did we have grass-eating ancestors? lol maybe we didn't actually...

So I would say, good Japanese Sencha is vegetal in a succulent, balanced, composed, intense, flavorful, moderately acidic/astringent, generally delicious way.

Low-end Chinese Green, and sometimes low-end Japanese, like store-bought bagged tea, is vegetal in a harsh, shallow, grating, bitter, two-dimensional way...
Smell of fresh cut grass, no need to eat it :lol: At least one idea where it comes from.

User avatar
Jan 11th 12 2:11 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Grassy / vegetal flavors

by Chip » Jan 11th 12 2:11 pm

+1 ... exactly what I was thinking. Though not so fond memories ... :mrgreen: