Mar 17th, '12, 01:02

Re: My first Yixing teapot

by Tead Off » Mar 17th, '12, 01:02

chrl42 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
chrl42 wrote:I think green tea in duanni pot is not a bad choice...if the tea is affordable-ly priced :)
What kind of green tea?
nameless, kindless one? :P
Would you use longqing or ujeon in a duanni?
I didn't consider those teas?
Do you mean that you use duanni only for low grade green teas?

Mar 17th, '12, 01:03

by chrl42 » Mar 17th, '12, 01:03

Tead Off wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
chrl42 wrote:I think green tea in duanni pot is not a bad choice...if the tea is affordable-ly priced :)
What kind of green tea?
nameless, kindless one? :P
Would you use longqing or ujeon in a duanni?
I didn't consider those teas?
Do you mean that you use duanni only for low grade green teas?
I mean I would.... :)

Mar 17th, '12, 01:12

by Tead Off » Mar 17th, '12, 01:12

I'm not sure if I would use duanni even for low grade teas. :lol:

Mar 17th, '12, 01:45

by apolon » Mar 17th, '12, 01:45

Stephane (teamaster blog) thinks it is a good match and he got that idea from Teaparker :)

Mar 17th, '12, 01:52

by tingjunkie » Mar 17th, '12, 01:52

Tead Off wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Stating the obvious, but Gary Oldman is the man.

My green tea goes in a gaiwan, unless it's Japanese, then it goes in Tokoname or a glazed banko kyusu.
Glazed Banko? Perish the thought.
Not when it's the original Meji-era white banko done almost egg shell thin. :wink:

Mar 17th, '12, 02:18

by Tead Off » Mar 17th, '12, 02:18

apolon wrote:Stephane (teamaster blog) thinks it is a good match and he got that idea from Teaparker :)
Ideas are all well and good, but, what is your experience using duanni for longqing tea vs a gaiwan or a zisha or zhuni clay pot? Only you can decide what is best for yourself. For example, Hojo says duanni is least enhancing for green teas. How will I know if Hojo or Teaparker is correct? Maybe Teaparker has an exceptional duanni pot and Hojo doesn't. I am only trying to get people to think about all of this and use their own experience to guide them.

Mar 17th, '12, 02:19

by Tead Off » Mar 17th, '12, 02:19

tingjunkie wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Stating the obvious, but Gary Oldman is the man.

My green tea goes in a gaiwan, unless it's Japanese, then it goes in Tokoname or a glazed banko kyusu.
Glazed Banko? Perish the thought.
Not when it's the original Meji-era white banko done almost egg shell thin. :wink:
Do you think it would be better than a good, unglazed, Banko clay teapot?

Mar 17th, '12, 03:24

by bagua7 » Mar 17th, '12, 03:24

Tead Off wrote:For example, Hojo says duanni is least enhancing for green teas. How will I know if Hojo or Teaparker is correct? Maybe Teaparker has an exceptional duanni pot and Hojo doesn't.
Duan ni is duan ni, a highly porous clay. I myself borrowed the belief from JTS who in turn have several duan ni pots which they recommend pairing with green tea amongst others. The problem is that a lot of tea can be "wasted" (as in not enjoyed )until the pot reveals its true potential as a green tea vessel. I gave up, especially when I decided to include longjing and bi luo chun in my little experiment. :oops:

Mar 17th, '12, 04:42

by Tead Off » Mar 17th, '12, 04:42

Many types of duanni clay. It is very hard to know what is what. Older clays are generally considered to be superior mainly due to different processing techniques and no additives. Unfortunately, not easy to find older and affordable yixing pots. Most people will not know much about the clays.

If I tell you I have a fantastic ChaoZhou zhuni teapot that makes the best Taiwan gaoshan I've ever had, will it mean that all red teapots from ChaoZhou will duplicate what my teapot gives me? I don't think so. How do I know? Because I have other ChaoZhou red teapots that don't brew Taiwan gaoshan as well as this particular teapot.

Mar 17th, '12, 05:03

by apolon » Mar 17th, '12, 05:03

Tead Off wrote:
apolon wrote:Stephane (teamaster blog) thinks it is a good match and he got that idea from Teaparker :)
Ideas are all well and good, but, what is your experience using duanni for longqing tea vs a gaiwan or a zisha or zhuni clay pot? Only you can decide what is best for yourself. For example, Hojo says duanni is least enhancing for green teas. How will I know if Hojo or Teaparker is correct? Maybe Teaparker has an exceptional duanni pot and Hojo doesn't. I am only trying to get people to think about all of this and use their own experience to guide them.
Off course, I totally agree with you. I just wanted to mention where some folk got that idea.
Btw: I don't drink green tea much, but I would choose a gaiwan instead of clay :roll:

Mar 17th, '12, 13:03
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 17th, '12, 13:03

Tead Off wrote: If I tell you I have a fantastic ChaoZhou zhuni teapot that makes the best Taiwan gaoshan I've ever had, will it mean that all red teapots from ChaoZhou will duplicate what my teapot gives me? I don't think so. How do I know? Because I have other ChaoZhou red teapots that don't brew Taiwan gaoshan as well as this particular teapot.
I think that's the key. "everyone", "100%", and sometimes "all", are dangerous words. :idea:
I don't think there is anything wrong using duanni or most other clays for green tea. Throughout most time in yixing history, most yixing have been used for green tea, as Yixing and most yixing using regions before late Qing (arguably, even till today) were traditional green tea drinking regions. My favorite green tea pot (and actually my favorite teapot) is a duanni one. But I use it for green tea mainly because of its size and because duanni gets "dirty" look easily with darker tea, and I'm a messy drinker :mrgreen: I suspect the "dirty" look reason is why many people pair duanni or ben shan green clay with green tea or greener oolong.

Mar 17th, '12, 19:26

by bagua7 » Mar 17th, '12, 19:26

Tead Off wrote:Many types of duanni clay. It is very hard to know what is what. Older clays are generally considered to be superior mainly due to different processing techniques and no additives. Unfortunately, not easy to find older and affordable yixing pots. Most people will not know much about the clays.
Totally agree, but outside Asia finding these is almost impossible.
Tead Off wrote:If I tell you I have a fantastic ChaoZhou zhuni teapot that makes the best Taiwan gaoshan I've ever had.
Interesting. I never seen and heard of them before. So is this an special zhu ni mined in the Phoenix Mountains? Where did you purchase such a pot, if you don't mind me asking?

Mar 17th, '12, 21:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Mar 17th, '12, 21:58

bagua7 wrote:[Interesting. I never seen and heard of them before. So is this an special zhu ni mined in the Phoenix Mountains? Where did you purchase such a pot, if you don't mind me asking?
Wow!

You must have missed a lot of posts on these boards :lol:

Dozens of Teachatters myself included have purchased them from Imen at Teahabitat

http://www.teahabitat.com/store/index.p ... &cPath=2_5

Mar 17th, '12, 22:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Mar 17th, '12, 22:02

Word of advice, don't buy the cheap one, they are liable to crack if you pour boiling water in without prewarming them gently.

I have three of the more expensive ones and you can warm them with near boil water and there are no disasters.

But if you are on a tight budget and prepared to cosset the cheaper one, then go for it.

Calling it Zhuni is potentially misleading, it is a Chao Zhou clay that produces reddish pots.

It is a local Chao Zhou Zuni - not a Yixing Zhuni

Also BTW they are thrown on a wheel not built from slabs

http://tea-obsession.blogspot.co.uk/200 ... aking.html

Mar 17th, '12, 23:26

by Tead Off » Mar 17th, '12, 23:26

bagua7 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:If I tell you I have a fantastic ChaoZhou zhuni teapot that makes the best Taiwan gaoshan I've ever had.
Interesting. I never seen and heard of them before. So is this an special zhu ni mined in the Phoenix Mountains? Where did you purchase such a pot, if you don't mind me asking?
Bought in Hong Kong more than 20 years ago.

+ Post Reply