User avatar
Mar 6th, '13, 07:13
Posts: 796
Joined: Sep 3rd, '08, 15:01
Location: Washington, DC

Taiwanese Stone Teapot

by Maitre_Tea » Mar 6th, '13, 07:13

So I recently got this stone teapot from my uncle in Taiwan. It's made from local stone from Hualien (western Taiwan). It's called 玫瑰石 (literally rose stone) in Mandarin. It may look thick-walled and heavy, but it's actually fairly thin. In some parts it's thin enough when I hold it up to the light some of it shines through the rock. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of teapot? My uncle also told me that with continued usage the tea will stain the stone beautifully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Mar 6th, '13, 08:13
Posts: 714
Joined: Feb 12th, '13, 21:21
Location: South Bronx, NYC

Re: Taiwanese Stone Teapot

by futurebird » Mar 6th, '13, 08:13

I love the idea of a stone teapot. I have seen few made of "jade" so thing they seemed transparent.

My roommate was really big on jade cups, said it was good for health. But really I think she just wanted a practical excuse for having so many of them.

How big is this pot?

User avatar
Mar 6th, '13, 20:23
Posts: 852
Joined: Mar 5th, '10, 03:07
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Taiwanese Stone Teapot

by Poohblah » Mar 6th, '13, 20:23

The local teashop, which is run by a Taiwanese couple, has a small number of these for sale. They typically run in the several hundred dollar range.

I'm skeptical of their practical value.

Aesthetically, they're gorgeous. Especially when held to the light.

User avatar
Mar 7th, '13, 01:03
Posts: 223
Joined: Sep 1st, '09, 00:16
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Taiwanese Stone Teapot

by Hannah » Mar 7th, '13, 01:03

Stone teapot sounds amazing... Does anyone know an online vendor for them?

User avatar
Mar 7th, '13, 01:54
Posts: 796
Joined: Sep 3rd, '08, 15:01
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Taiwanese Stone Teapot

by Maitre_Tea » Mar 7th, '13, 01:54

I am skeptical as well, so I'm eager to run some tests once I get home. I've had the chance to had these used as a fair cup in a tea shop, and it gave the tea an improved mouthfeel. Definitely not a pot for lighter teas...it's thick enough that it'd cook any modern TGY or gao shan oolong

User avatar
Mar 7th, '13, 04:01
Posts: 4536
Joined: Apr 1st, '09, 04:48
Location: Bangkok

Re: Taiwanese Stone Teapot

by Tead Off » Mar 7th, '13, 04:01

Poohblah wrote:The local teashop, which is run by a Taiwanese couple, has a small number of these for sale. They typically run in the several hundred dollar range.

I'm skeptical of their practical value.

Aesthetically, they're gorgeous. Especially when held to the light.
+1