Jun 2nd, '13, 06:12

Ben Shan Lv Ni and Ben Shan Duan Ni

by steanze » Jun 2nd, '13, 06:12

Brief intro: duan ni smoothens the taste of the tea a lot, while ben shan lv ni not as much, and therefore sometimes it even gets used for teas like wuyi yancha.
Does anyone know about Ben Shan Duan Ni? Is it just another name for Ben Shan Lv Ni, or is it just a particular kind of duan ni, with the same properties of duan ni?
Thanks!!

Jun 4th, '13, 22:26

Re: Ben Shan Lv Ni and Ben Shan Duan Ni

by bagua7 » Jun 4th, '13, 22:26

So is your question related to this (after doing a Google search :mrgreen:):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chinese-Yixin ... 1117736184

I'm not quite sure whether that pot is a real ben shan lu ni (there is no such a thing as a ben shan duan ni) even though it is almost identical to the whitish subcategory of BSLN.

Jun 5th, '13, 08:38

by steanze » Jun 5th, '13, 08:38

Thanks for your reply!! Yes, that's the sort of thing I encountered... searching 本山段 on taobao produces a lot of results. http://s.taobao.com/search?q=%B1%BE%C9% ... J_relative
The reason why I was curious about this is because I read an old post by Charles who was saying that his favorite pot for wuyi is a benshan lvni, and I was curious to know whether (good) benshan duanni pots would also be suitable or not. I'd imagine that a good duanni pot would be still too porous for wuyi - benshan lvni probably works well because it is less porous than duan ni.
Let's see if anyone else has heard of this 本山段泥 :)

Jun 5th, '13, 09:20

by amaranto » Jun 5th, '13, 09:20

Both the Ben Shan Lu Ni and Duan Ni pots I have--if they are real--mute the flavor (top notes, if this is a tea tasting term) of the Wuyi oolongs I have tried in them. The high-fired ones, however, seem to like Mi Lan Dan Cong and Dong Ding. The Lu Ni does not seem to take as much flavor away as the Duan Ni, in my opinion.

Jun 6th, '13, 19:38
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jun 6th, '13, 19:38

Sometimes English is easier to understand than pinyin :D
Lv ni means green clay. So it's green. (Natural) Duan ni is naturally consolidated green clay and purple clay, so it's not very green (often yellowish).
Ben Shan indicates its (authentic) mining location.
I don't think there is a rule of thumb for which clay used for which tea. Usually what you feel like to do ends up being the best decision. :wink:

Jun 8th, '13, 06:22

by steanze » Jun 8th, '13, 06:22

Thanks for sharing your experience amaranto! This is really useful information!
It's true that translating the chinese meanings of the clay names is helpful ginkoseto. And definitely true that in the end it's a matter of preference (for instance many people like to use dicaoqing for wuyi, but when I tried to compare dicaoqing and zhuni I found that I personally prefer zhuni). However, I do think that there are some slightly less subjective things we can say about the properties of a clay (especially if we also specify firing temperature), for example we can agree that dicaoqing smooths the high notes of a tea more than zhuni. Then some people might like that for certain teas while other might like it less. And it is always nice to have a couple of different ways to brew the same tea depending on what we want to extract from it on a particular day :D

+ Post Reply