Sep 28th, '13, 13:45

Very small electric kettle

by dRummie » Sep 28th, '13, 13:45

My teaware collection is small, and growing slowly. Currently operating out of a ~100ml gaiwan into a similar sized Bodum cup. It's simple, and suits my needs.

I rarely need to heat more than a cup of water at a time, and my main kettle, with its 1.8L capacity and 0.5L minimum, is cumbersome and a waste. I would love to find a small, <1L electric kettle to add to my set up to both improve the experience aesthetically and conserve water.

What I am looking for, in a nutshell:
- <1L ("minimum" level no more than 250mL)
- electric
- pour control
- would strongly prefer glass

Can anyone make a suggestion? I have been looking at Kamjove kettles, though finding them in Canada is proving difficult. Comments on particular models would be much appreciated, as well.

Sep 29th, '13, 09:38

Re: Very small electric kettle

by etorix » Sep 29th, '13, 09:38

my lectric kettle died last week, so i got a Russell Hobbs

but its 1.7l, far too big to be doin 200mls for my favorite yixing

got a Wahl travel kettle, max 500ml, 1000w element, runs off any voltage

but runs best on 220v

http://www.wahlglobal.com/united-kingdo ... ettle.html

no visible element inside

also it matches the RH http://en.russellhobbs.com/russell-hobb ... 70-70.html

its tiny next to it, quite fast, im quite pleased with it

Oct 5th, '13, 08:51

by thirst » Oct 5th, '13, 08:51

I’ve had a a small electric kettle for a while that is sold as Petra Eletric Belluno in Germany, but I’ve seen a model that looks exactly the same sold in Asia by a brand called Princess, which seems to be Dutch. I’ve already looked for it on Amazon Canada, but sadly I couldn’t find it there; not sure if it can be found elsewhere in Canada.

It’s not made of glass, but the inside, except for the lid, is completely made of stainless steel. The heater unit is in a separate base, which was important to me. The maximum capacity for the unit I have (there is a larger one) is 500 ml, and it boils minimal amounts without a fuss, which is why I bought it, too – I boil 150 ml in it, mostly, and less should work, too. It uses 1100 Watts. Supposedly you can reset it; my unit is probably broken, as this doesn’t work, but I always let the water boil completely, anyway.

It’s not the most aesthetic electric kettle, really, but it seems very hard to find one that is not only aesthetically pleasing (one that comes to mind is the white plastic kettle by ±0, but it seems to be made of, well, plastic) but also in tune with the aesthetics of tea, if you assume there is such a thing (haven’t seen a fitting kettle, maybe I should look around more). Let alone a small one.

Links:
http://www.petra-electric.de/en/product ... 22-35.html
http://www.princess.nl/en/producten/243 ... dless.html

Oct 5th, '13, 15:13
Scrolling: fixed

by Bob_McBob » Oct 5th, '13, 15:13

Head to a local Home Hardware store and grab one of these.

Oct 5th, '13, 23:04

by etorix » Oct 5th, '13, 23:04

that betty crocker is actually quite nice, i like it, cheers

bit not easily got in UK

or i cant see one

yet at least

Oct 8th, '13, 12:58

by dRummie » Oct 8th, '13, 12:58

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The Betty Crocker does look pretty much perfect - and there's a HH two blocks from my house. I'll stop by there and have a look :)

Oct 13th, '13, 07:27

by etorix » Oct 13th, '13, 07:27

The Betty Crocker looks cool, but its un-correct voltage for UK + not imported anyway

that German one is easier to get + its 220v

the 500ml Wahl works, but the cord is attached + it has no turnoff-switch, hence imho its a bit dangerous + not fit for pupose [hope i kept the box]

Oct 13th, '13, 13:39

by dRummie » Oct 13th, '13, 13:39

Well, for the north americans out there, I can say I've had the BC working in my kitchen for a few days now, and it's performing admirably.

The pour is clean and accurate, and there are no plastic parts in contact with the water. There is one plastic bit inside that stays above the water level, but it seems to have no function, so I might try removing it once I'm certain I won't be returning the kettle. The lid comes right off and rotates in place, handy for lefties who might want the steam vents on the other side.

My only complaint is there is no volume measure besides the max line. But I'll take that over a plastic gauge any day. Min is 250ml, btw.

Anyway, I'm very pleased overall, it's great for boiling just enough water for a single morning cup. Smaller footprint in my tiny kitchen, too :)

Oct 15th, '13, 03:10
Scrolling: fixed

by Bob_McBob » Oct 15th, '13, 03:10

I'm glad the BC kettle is working out for you. I've been using one for a couple years now. I was really surprised to find a product like that at Home Hardware. I've never seen a Chinese-style kettle in North American voltage anywhere else in Canada. The size and pour control make it pretty much perfect for brewing with a gaiwan or yixing pot. I recommend it to all Canadian teafriends, and nobody has disliked it yet :)

I like mine so much I got a backup in case they stop selling them. It actually used to come with a solid metal fill level marker, but they updated the design slightly and changed to a plastic cap. I don't have the backup kettle in front of me, but I'm fairly confident the cap just comes off.
sdgsdgsds.jpg
sdgsdgsds.jpg (29.56 KiB) Viewed 2526 times

+ Post Reply