Mar 6th, '14, 18:11
Posts: 118
Joined: Apr 3rd, '13, 00:59

Piao I?

by saxon75 » Mar 6th, '14, 18:11

We all talk a lot about yixing and clay kyusu and porcelain gaiwans. I love my small but growing collection of clay and porcelain teaware, too, but I was wondering whether anybody around here uses something like a Piao I regularly?

A bunch of the Chinese and Taiwanese employees at my office use them, and they do seem convenient, though possibly a little more of a pain to clean than the simple glass pot I use (this one).

User avatar
Mar 10th, '14, 02:33
Posts: 223
Joined: Sep 1st, '09, 00:16
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Piao I?

by Hannah » Mar 10th, '14, 02:33

I've been looking into buying one - at the moment I just use a gaiwan at work but a Piao I would be much more convenient!! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Mar 10th, '14, 08:00
Posts: 5896
Joined: Jan 10th, '10, 21:04
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Piao I?

by debunix » Mar 10th, '14, 08:00

I've used Kamjove devices that look a lot like that: simple, practical, but not as much fun as a few well chosen pots/gaiwans/shiboridashi. I still keep one for traveling. Mine was nearly impossible to clean fully--there is a lot of surface you can't touch for cleaning, so it gets dirty looking no matter how often and how carefully you rinse it.

User avatar
Mar 10th, '14, 16:07
Posts: 2044
Joined: Jan 12th, '07, 01:47
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Piao I?

by wyardley » Mar 10th, '14, 16:07

I don't really see the appeal somehow - they seem a little clunky to me.

If I want to brew on the go or in a more casual way, I usually just use my Zoji themos, which has a removable basket for the tea leaves.

User avatar
Mar 10th, '14, 17:02
Posts: 178
Joined: Jul 1st, '13, 02:18
Location: Maryland

Re: Piao I?

by kikula » Mar 10th, '14, 17:02

I very much prefer clay pots, too, but sometimes it's very nice to watch leaves unfold and move in a glass vessel. Makes a nice study and pretty, too. Mine comes quite clean in the dishwasher - it's nonporous of course, so no worries about tastes retaining.
Not really more practical for travel than any fragile pot, though.

Mar 10th, '14, 20:40
Posts: 118
Joined: Apr 3rd, '13, 00:59

Re: Piao I?

by saxon75 » Mar 10th, '14, 20:40

wyardley wrote:I don't really see the appeal somehow - they seem a little clunky to me.

If I want to brew on the go or in a more casual way, I usually just use my Zoji themos, which has a removable basket for the tea leaves.
One thing I've always disliked about removable steeping baskets is that once you remove the basket, you have to put it somewhere.

User avatar
Mar 10th, '14, 21:15
Posts: 2044
Joined: Jan 12th, '07, 01:47
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Piao I?

by wyardley » Mar 10th, '14, 21:15

saxon75 wrote:
wyardley wrote: If I want to brew on the go or in a more casual way, I usually just use my Zoji themos, which has a removable basket for the tea leaves.
One thing I've always disliked about removable steeping baskets is that once you remove the basket, you have to put it somewhere.
The Zoji partially solves this by having a stand for the basket in the lid. There's also a compartment to store tea leaves under the top side of the lid.

That said, if I'm on the go, I usually just brew grandpa style, using less tea leaf, and adding more hot water partway through.

User avatar
Mar 11th, '14, 01:33
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13, 07:22
Location: in your tea closet
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Piao I?

by kyarazen » Mar 11th, '14, 01:33

saxon75 wrote:We all talk a lot about yixing and clay kyusu and porcelain gaiwans. I love my small but growing collection of clay and porcelain teaware, too, but I was wondering whether anybody around here uses something like a Piao I regularly?

A bunch of the Chinese and Taiwanese employees at my office use them, and they do seem convenient, though possibly a little more of a pain to clean than the simple glass pot I use (this one).
the piao-i has been around for decades.. i bought several kamjove ones in beijing for a few dollars a piece. not bad a contraption, allows for quick speedy extractions, shape's good for tky or other rolled tea, allowing them to expand freely.

there's a "yixing" equivalent of such a pot as well... minimal plastics and metal filters :lol: