May 6th, '14, 15:01

Teaware 'on display' with frequent use

by Noonie » May 6th, '14, 15:01

Currently all my teaware and tea sits in a kitchen cabinet.

We're buying a side table for a room beside the kitchen (currently has our computer, will be adding a reading chair...that's it though so we're keeping it simple). The side table has two rows of shelves (maybe 4 in each row) and of course the top of the table.

I was thinking of using the new table to display my teaware and tea (I would put the tea cannisters in a basket...it's out of the light and is a good temperature, similar to my kitchen cabinet), but to also use this space to store and access my teaware/tea.

I see the benefits as: having the stuff on display to look at it, as I think the pieces would look nice there, it frees up a kitchen cabinet, and it's easy to get the items I need as it's feet away from the kitchen.

Drawbacks: can (will) collect dust...but I rinse most items anyway, small chance something is knocked over/damaged.

Thoughts, warnings, comparisons to what you do today?

May 6th, '14, 16:06

Re: Teaware 'on display' with frequent use

by debunix » May 6th, '14, 16:06

In the background of this image you can see my current teaware storage: I like that I can see the teawares, the cat doesn't disturb them, and the little rim on the shelves does provide protection from falling off the shelf unless there's serious shaking going on (I live in LA so have to plan for earthquakes).

The pleasure of daily viewing makes up, for me, for the extra risk of the open shelving; they get used often enough that dust isn't an issue.

May 6th, '14, 19:29

by Noonie » May 6th, '14, 19:29

I like the look of that, very nice. And your cat looks harmless :)

May 6th, '14, 22:57

by debunix » May 6th, '14, 22:57

Not entirely harmless: Miss Emily leaped up onto the kitchen counter one day, on the towel underneath the dish drainer holding several pieces of the TC TA SO wood-fired shino teaware from Petr Novak, shattering this

and this

although I kluged together a sort-of-functional repair of the shibo, being unwilling to let it go.

Fortunately, Miss E is very cute & snuggly so the resulting grudge was temporary, and I have since changed the house for one with more forgiving wood floors and laminate counters in case of recurrence, to give the teaware a higher chance of survival.

May 7th, '14, 05:24
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 7th, '14, 05:24

debunix, Did you change house solely because of the cat? (Beautiful teaware by the way.)

May 7th, '14, 10:57

Teaware 'on display' with frequent use

by debunix » May 7th, '14, 10:57

I changed from rental to buying a house of my own, so not a cat issue.....but it was very important to me, when looking for the new house, to avoid tile floors and granite counters that are so hard on precious tea wares.

May 7th, '14, 12:16

by JRS22 » May 7th, '14, 12:16

I'm getting ready to remodel my kitchen and I'm thinking of redoing the entire first floor with bamboo. That sounds like a lot of area but it's really just a small living room and a small (for a house) eat in kitchen. I assume that would be as soft as wood and easier to care for.

I'm not sure I can give up the synthetic stone, impervious to anything I can do wrong, counter tops.

My cats avoid the kitchen counters so I'm responsible for all broken Teaware.

May 7th, '14, 19:15

by Misou » May 7th, '14, 19:15

A nice cushy rug under the table might be an option. And would add charm and warmth to the seating area.

Your tea will be fine. But you might find yourself adding a tea cabinet near by. For some reason being able to see your goods and wares inspires MORE purchses....not less!

May 8th, '14, 04:44

by hopeofdawn » May 8th, '14, 04:44

I hear cork is a really good (and eco-friendly) option too--I'm seriously considering going that route when I replace my old stained carpet. Survival of my teawares as well as pet-friendliness are definitely important considerations!

May 8th, '14, 09:50

by JRS22 » May 8th, '14, 09:50

Misou wrote:A nice cushy rug under the table might be an option. And would add charm and warmth to the seating area.

Your tea will be fine. But you might find yourself adding a tea cabinet near by. For some reason being able to see your goods and wares inspires MORE purchses....not less!
There's a 5ft stretch of wall where there was once a fireplace and the chimney juts out quite a bit. I'm thinking that would be a perfect area for shallow glass front cabinets that show off my tea ware and make it more accessible. It'll be safer too since I won't be juggling pieces in the front and back of the cabinet. If you've seen the video of Seong-il loading his kiln then you know what my tea ware cabinet is like.

I don't like rugs in the kitchen because they are just too difficult to keep free of crumbs and bits of vegetables. Also, its a really small kitchen and when I have company, more than 6 people sitting at once, I need to move the table so I can set up a folding table to accommodate everyone.

I'm considering bamboo not just for the floor but also for the cabinet fronts. One of my neighbors has their kitchen below grade and when we were all flooded during Hurricane Sandy last year their bamboo cabinets and flooring were all that survived. So it seems to me that bamboo should survive spills as well as people tracking in snow.
Last edited by JRS22 on May 8th, '14, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

May 8th, '14, 09:56

by JRS22 » May 8th, '14, 09:56

hopeofdawn wrote:I hear cork is a really good (and eco-friendly) option too--I'm seriously considering going that route when I replace my old stained carpet. Survival of my teawares as well as pet-friendliness are definitely important considerations!
I'll have to research cork as a flooring. My old house isn't open plan but because it's narrow there's no side hall and everyone has to walk through the living room to get anywhere else. I have a wool oriental style rug in the living room that survives snow and cats and problem dogs because I can send it out for a good washing every few years. The wood finish isn't faring as well and if I put bamboo or cork in the kitchen I want to do the whole first floor at once so I'm set for a long time.

May 8th, '14, 16:11

by Evan Draper » May 8th, '14, 16:11

I'd just like to add that the kitchen is not a good place for tea and teaware, because of all the heat and oils. Even inside a closed cabinet, things can get nasty. I have all my stuff on a bookshelf in the living room, similar to debunix's setup. Making tea is part of enjoying tea, and should be done in the same room as drinking!

May 12th, '14, 06:12

by Noonie » May 12th, '14, 06:12

Was wondering how people carry their pot/cup, etc., from such a shelf over to where you're going to be using it in a tea session? I was thinking of getting a tray that is solid, somewhat non-slip, and that has handles on the sides. I would keep this with the other tea ware and load it up as necessary.

They sell basic kitchen/food trays everywhere, but I was wondering if you've come across some that are 'more interesting'...

May 15th, '14, 02:02

by wyardley » May 15th, '14, 02:02

Noonie wrote:Was wondering how people carry their pot/cup, etc.,
I just use my hands.

May 16th, '14, 08:10

by JRS22 » May 16th, '14, 08:10

Noonie wrote:Was wondering how people carry their pot/cup, etc., from such a shelf over to where you're going to be using it in a tea session? I was thinking of getting a tray that is solid, somewhat non-slip, and that has handles on the sides. I would keep this with the other tea ware and load it up as necessary.

They sell basic kitchen/food trays everywhere, but I was wondering if you've come across some that are 'more interesting'...
I have a Seong-il ceramic tea tray that I use for carrying and brewing. The sides are higher than the 'work surface', forming a rim, so nothing can slide off. Then there are holes in the surface for water to pass through and collect in the base. While it's heavier than the bamboo tray that I used previously it won't warp.

+ Post Reply