Oct 10th, '14, 23:59

Re: Yixing mythical clays

by kyarazen » Oct 10th, '14, 23:59

chrl42 wrote: Just for a discussion sake, there are still Shihuang being used, they are just not Zhaozhuang one, but Xiaomeiyao etc..
there's still "shi-huang" from zhao zhuang that is still being used up to today, but the quality and processing in comparison to the early generation one is unknown. from my sources, they term it shi-huang because of its color and that color starts fading into a pale tone upon air exposure over time. both materials can be fired to similar color tones, but with texture differences if one can tell.

there is also shi-huang in japan, sado such as nosaka clay, but the properties and firing appear to have limited its development and popularity.

From my understanding, small batches of Chuanbu Hongni have been used during 7~80s (green sticker period), and filled the rest of Hongni products during later days (up to 97). Iron oxide was added, somewhat lacks in porosity to earlier Hongni.
chuan bu, pu dong hong ni largely filled in the products of the mid 60-75 period, the typical CR hong ni. the granularity and texture appears to have disappeared closer to the green sticker period. i've been collating internal pictures of this. the xiao hong ni that is also used to coat the outside of pots in the nei zhi wai hong types, can still be seen to persist in some nei zhi wai hong pots of the early 80s, but a full "vessel" of the material from this late period, i've not come across yet. huang long shan nen hong ni, da hong ni with a softer and finer texture seem to be the space filler in the later days.

iron oxide addition like some potters would have mentioned, may present some kind of "fluxing" effect.. the whole ware becomes like a nice amalgam.

this one needs a debate,

First, Niangaotu the clay was invented during the CR, they invented it to test for making 'slip-cast' teapots, yet failed. Left clays were used to make into teapots during 82~85. Niangaotu was 'mixed' clay of Zini, Hongni etc then processed into quite smaller particle, Niangaotu has no porosity, but incredible in seasoning.

i'm not unaware of this account. there are at least two to three sayings/accounts on niangaotu.

one common account is the saying that niangaotu was born because it was discovered as a layer/strata in huanglong shan, and since the layer was in close proximity with zini and that these layers dont have clear cut boundaries, there is a gradient and some mixing. the material takes on an intermediate color between the red of hongni and the brown purple of qingshui zi.

the other account is that niangao clay was created due to a failed experiment for slip casting where they tried during the mid 60s, early CR period to grind hong ni down to 120mu. but they found that it was too soft and unstable for slip casting and it was abandoned. it was later mixed with qing shui ni to be made into pots around '82.

the third account was that it is a variant of the hong qing shui ni that appeared in the 70s, i.e. hongkong xiang xing ordered pots in the end 70s came in such a material. this hong qing shui material of the 70s is treated/accepted by the taiwanese for now as part of hong-ni. the texture is excellent, unlike qing shui ni proper, where the gritty-ness and the sandyness doesnt give it as nice a feel.

i wouldnt think that nian gao is "non-porous" it doesnt act like glass, its just that yixing clay has multiple porosity,the primary porosity comes from the particle nature, aluminium oxide particles etc have their own porosities. secondary porosity comes from how the clay is processed, hammered, compacted etc. nian gao loses its primary porosity as much of the particles have been ground down, but the fact that it seasons very well, it excels in the secondary porosity. i've taken a few pots into the lab for surface characterizations and have found some interesting results, especially on the contact angle goniometry. still lacking a few scanning electron micrographs as i'm not sure if i am willing to sputter gold/platinum on the surface for imaging.
on a general agreement, Huanglongshan Hongni's characteristics are known to be 'texture as Zini and color as Hongni', this characteristic can be traced back to as early as Ming dynasty to Kangxi redwares, Daoguang~ROC Hongni and Factory-1 'Fen Tai' and 'Hong Zini' Shuipings.

Zhu Zei-wei wrote the details about the clay mining and locations in '宜兴紫砂矿料', looks like there were more than 3 mines in Zhaozhuang areas operated since the 50s, yet he didn't specify the Huanglongshan Hongni mine, according to his book, Huanglongshan Hongni comes from Baoshan (Qinglongshan area) but he didn't credit in which year they started to mine Baoshan clays.

It is VERY technical and difficult subject, I think no one can be 100% affirmed to say unless he/she was who did participate making clay in Factory-1. Even experts opinions differ a lot on this.
he did show a huanglong shan hong ni mine despite not clearly disclosing its precise location. these are the few that produced hongni (even some "zhu"), including one of them that produced the "da hong ni"

And you think these are the same clays as Qing dynasty DHP? Did they use iron oxide during mid-Qing ?

Give an example of Qing dynasty pot made of Da Hong Pao...

1.Han Qi-lou indicated Shao You-ting (no book around me, could be another Shao, too)'s pot as DHP, he said the effect had come from a very special location in the kiln, special air flow and firing gave the pot very pretty color..but the percentage of being so can be quite rare as it was a coincidental effect

2.ROC's famous Yu Guo-liang's DHP pots are reported to be quality-Shihuang had been mixed in.
i think you have to read more carefully what i wrote. so far in all the old literatures from ming to early qing, mid qing, color classification is still done base on its final appearance, very much less on the exact clay type. i wonder if up to ROC was there a description of DHP clay used?

i'm aware of your references to han qi lou's book, which should be one of his hall mark publications, Zi Sha Hu Quan Shu. I have the soft copy and have gone through it before. There are two "Da Hong Pao" items in it, one being a Yu Guo Liang four legged Da Zhuan Lv, the other being a qing dynasty Shao Zheng Lai. The description of the Qing Pot is that the pot name is "Da Hong Pao", and there is no mention on the clay being DHP clay, just that there were special kiln conditions that caused the color to become like that.

In Gu Jing Zhou's appraisal of the same Yu Guo Liang four legged Da Zhuan Lv pot in a separate publication, he wrote that the pot was made from the best selected Da Hong Ni, and did not use the word Da Hong Pao.

so it seems that by Han Qi Lou's colloquial and interchangeable use of the words Da Hong Ni and Da Hong Pao end up creating legendary status?

in zhu zhe wei's book, he did cover Da Hong Ni, and similarly wrote that Da Hong ni was Da Hong Pao Ni.

refer to :

regards.

Oct 11th, '14, 02:11

by chrl42 » Oct 11th, '14, 02:11

kyarazen wrote: there's still "shi-huang" from zhao zhuang that is still being used up to today, but the quality and processing in comparison to the early generation one is unknown. from my sources, they term it shi-huang because of its color and that color starts fading into a pale tone upon air exposure over time. both materials can be fired to similar color tones, but with texture differences if one can tell.

there is also shi-huang in japan, sado such as nosaka clay, but the properties and firing appear to have limited its development and popularity.
From what I know, Shihuang is what resembles an egg in shape, existence of Zhaozhuang Shihuang clay is quite a news to me :)

kyarazen wrote: chuan bu, pu dong hong ni largely filled in the products of the mid 60-75 period, the typical CR hong ni. the granularity and texture appears to have disappeared closer to the green sticker period. i've been collating internal pictures of this. the xiao hong ni that is also used to coat the outside of pots in the nei zhi wai hong types, can still be seen to persist in some nei zhi wai hong pots of the early 80s, but a full "vessel" of the material from this late period, i've not come across yet. huang long shan nen hong ni, da hong ni with a softer and finer texture seem to be the space filler in the later days.

iron oxide addition like some potters would have mentioned, may present some kind of "fluxing" effect.. the whole ware becomes like a nice amalgam.
This is where you and I differ, but before moving on next, we have to agree on one known fact which is Chuanbu Hongni was found (or used) in mid-70s and iron oxide was added to enhance color, this sentence is from many sources but I cry out all of my books stay in Beijing (a week to get back)

You believe CR shuipings are made of Chuanbu Hongni and I believe thos 8~90 stuffs are Chuanbu Hongni since the 2 periods used obviously different clays..according to you CR Hongni contains iron oxide while I believe CR Hongni is a natural clay unmixed

kyarazen wrote: the third account was that it is a variant of the hong qing shui ni that appeared in the 70s, i.e. hongkong xiang xing ordered pots in the end 70s came in such a material. this hong qing shui material of the 70s is treated/accepted by the taiwanese for now as part of hong-ni. the texture is excellent, unlike qing shui ni proper, where the gritty-ness and the sandyness doesnt give it as nice a feel.
This looks like what I referred to as Hong Zini. I've seen Xiang Xing shuiping (4-cup) in Beijing from a shop run by Taiwanese, the texture was quite excellent Hong Zini, different from denser CR ones

kyarazen wrote:he did show a huanglong shan hong ni mine despite not clearly disclosing its precise location. these are the few that produced hongni (even some "zhu"), including one of them that produced the "da hong ni"
In his book, his samples of clays in reference to Qing dynasty Da Hong Pao, Tian Qing Ni and Li PI ni are just a guess, he guessed based on descr
iptions and locations from old Yixing books, not to say he owns all the legendary clays! :mrgreen:

kyarazen wrote: i think you have to read more carefully what i wrote. so far in all the old literatures from ming to early qing, mid qing, color classification is still done base on its final appearance, very much less on the exact clay type. i wonder if up to ROC was there a description of DHP clay used?

i'm aware of your references to han qi lou's book, which should be one of his hall mark publications, Zi Sha Hu Quan Shu. I have the soft copy and have gone through it before. There are two "Da Hong Pao" items in it, one being a Yu Guo Liang four legged Da Zhuan Lv, the other being a qing dynasty Shao Zheng Lai. The description of the Qing Pot is that the pot name is "Da Hong Pao", and there is no mention on the clay being DHP clay, just that there were special kiln conditions that caused the color to become like that.

In Gu Jing Zhou's appraisal of the same Yu Guo Liang four legged Da Zhuan Lv pot in a separate publication, he wrote that the pot was made from the best selected Da Hong Ni, and did not use the word Da Hong Pao.

so it seems that by Han Qi Lou's colloquial and interchangeable use of the words Da Hong Ni and Da Hong Pao end up creating legendary status?
The term Da Hong Pao* and Tian Qing Ni were in repeated again in mid-Qing book, saying they are the best and most expensive clay at that time (I once again apologize for leaving books at home),

No, I didn't imply Yu Guo-liang Chuanlu was made of DHP, I said it is something closest to DHP, or a model people refer to. DHP is known to be mid-Qing clay, the Zhuanlu was made in ROC,

one thing to keep in mind is, it's very common for people meaning the same clay and term it differently, or vice versa!
Last edited by chrl42 on Oct 11th, '14, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 11th, '14, 09:44

by kyarazen » Oct 11th, '14, 09:44

chrl42 wrote: From what I know, Shihuang is what resembles an egg in shape, existence of Zhaozhuang Shihuang clay is quite a news to me :)
proper shi-huang needs to be mined since air exposure and erosion will turn it into larger clumps and blocks of hong-ni. the clay stratas are large, i had a friend think that yixing clay came from a "well" since some books or records talk about the well number.. :lol: in reality the clay stratas can be layers of large dimensions, imagine a cake and one's simply poking a straw down the centre for some layered filling. there are still artisans that regularly rummage for some clays here and there. there is also some speculation that zhao zhuang clay strata is possibly linked to that of chuan bu but.. that remains to be proven till the geologists get busy.

chrl42 wrote: This is where you and I differ, but before moving on next, we have to agree on one known fact which is Chuanbu Hongni was found (or used) in mid-70s and iron oxide was added to enhance color , this sentence is from many sources but I cry out all of my books stay in Beijing (a week to get back)

You believe CR shuipings are made of Chuanbu Hongni and I believe thos 8~90 stuffs are Chuanbu Hongni since the 2 periods used obviously different clays..according to you CR Hongni contains iron oxide while I believe CR Hongni is a natural clay unmixed
this is when we need the seasoned yixing experts/collectors/dealers/vendors to chime in since they should have handled a lot of these pots in their youth and many years of experience. anyone??

in the mean time, i did not imply that CR hong ni was doped, but I m of the point of view that from '65-66 onwards till 75, Chuanbu hong ni was used. hong ni's red because of its own natural iron oxide content anyway.

i'm of the opinion that 80-90s the main hong ni should be Fu Dong hong ni, together with the usage of huanglong shan hong ni, nen ni, da hong ni etc.

chrl42 wrote: This looks like what I referred to as Hong Zini. I've seen Xiang Xing shuiping (4-cup) in Beijing from a shop run by Taiwanese, the texture was quite excellent Hong Zini, different from denser CR ones
the term hong zini is used sometimes in mainland simply to refer to qingshuini, but some taiwanese instead prefer to use hong qing shuini. probably to distance it from the 80s and later qing shui nis which have taken on an orangey color.

chrl42 wrote: In his book, his samples of clays in reference to Qing dynasty Da Hong Pao, Tian Qing Ni and Li PI ni are just a guess, he guessed based on descr
iptions and locations from old Yixing books, not to say he owns all the legendary clays! :mrgreen:

The term Da Hong and Tian Qing Ni were in repeated again in mid-Qing book, saying they are the best and most expensive clay at that time (I once again apologize for leaving books at home),

No, I didn't imply Yu Guo-liang Chuanlu was made of DHP, I said it is something closest to DHP, or a model people refer to. DHP is known to be mid-Qing clay, the Zhuanlu was made in ROC,

one thing to keep in mind is, it's very common for people meaning the same clay and term it differently, or vice versa!
i would still think that zhu zhe wei's approximation of Da hong Ni of huang long shan is pretty accurate. Even in modern day, Da Hong Ni of huang long shan is scarce, and it is hard to produce a good item from it due to its excessively high iron content, somewhere around 20-24%, cracking or going out of shape easily when fired. the color unfired is a strong brown bloody red unlike hong/shihuang which is rich yellow (zhu), or pale yellow (hong) when unfired.

this is Han Qi Lou describing Yv Guo Liang's creation :
where in the text, Han QL wrote that it was made of Da Hong Pao clay.

and separately, Ku Ching Chou also appraised the same pot in his writings
where the pot was said to be made of the best/most select Da Hong Ni

regarding the qing Dynasty Shao Zheng Lai Da Hong Pao Pot, the pot name is Da Hong Pao probably due to the color :

both in Han QL's book you can see it, or online you can also see it here at
http://zhishi.zisha360.com/a470.html with similar/almost identical caption :
此壶材质为朱砂泥,造型仿鼓,通体浑圆,工艺精湛,气度不凡。烧制“大红袍”壶颇为不易,难得一见。它是壶坯在龙窑内烧炼时,偶遇特殊气氛而烧成的。其色泽红中微紫,滋润鲜活,泡茶后壶体色泽将变得更加红润可爱,艳丽莫测。

which translates as , this pot is made of Zhu Sha Clay, the shape is Fang Gu, whole body is round, the workmanship is detailed, the "qi-du" is not normal. firing this pot is not easy, its difficult to come by. this is achieved through special atmosphere or conditions when firing in the dragon kiln, color is red to slight purple, etc etc etc etc.

Zhu Sha Clay by standard is interpreted as the Hong Ni from Zhao Zhuang.
Ku Ching Chou had written : “红泥,蕴藏在嫩坭的底层(俗称石黄又称朱砂泥),产地在西山前(即任墅)赵庄嫩坭矿的下层。红坭的定义:片状结构,不溶于水。”

this would mean that the classical "da Hong pao" pot of Qing dynasty has that color because of kiln processes, and that it wasnt a special magical/mythical clay ore.

Oct 11th, '14, 11:27

by chrl42 » Oct 11th, '14, 11:27

Note, Shihuang and Shihuang Zhuni are not the same thing. Shihuang mostly refers to what resembles an egg, completely no plasticity.

Shihuang Zhuni is what made up old Zhuni, (I guess older ones referred as Shihuangni?)...it is a very complicated subject.

Plus, Zhaozhuang Zhuni is not the only one soluble into water, many Xiaomeiyao and small amount of Huanglongshan Zhuni can do as well.

For me greatness of Zhaozhuang old Zhuni is color and porosity. Is what Xiaomeiyao Zhuni can't imitate, despite it being more delicate in particles and shrinking than Zhaozhuang one.

According to my source, Fudong Hongni was mostly used for Neizi Waihong pots due to lacking plasticity of the clay, the texture was quite Zhuni-like and crystallized (high ringing sound), the color yet loses to earlier Hongni.

Fudong Hongni was only 'fully' used for some Shuiping teapots (I think 中国紫砂名壶珍赏 also mentioned that?, but correct me if wrong), Shuiping with such traits, 70s Japan-exported SPs come to mind. It was the most Zhuni-like F1 SP I've had...yet no change in color and no porosity, its texture followed quite similar to Neizi Waihong's 'Hongni' part. But....guess is just a guess :mrgreen:

Xu Li wrote a good article '认知红泥 ', but I've had a quite hard time matching actual models to his samples. The most difficult part of clay study is that,

there are many facts around, but no one suggests exemplars..even Gu Jing-zhou and Wang Yin-chun had different understanding on Hongni/Zhuni clay...

Oct 11th, '14, 13:00

by chrl42 » Oct 11th, '14, 13:00

It got me interested once again, I've found this article....
以前朱泥原礦的主要產區為宜興川埠趙莊村,礦層位於嫩泥和礦層底部。但是到了五○年代,因為礦源隱沒、開採困難,於是就逐漸以川埠查林、濮東小埠頭等地的小紅泥來代替。到了1973年朱泥原礦將近耗竭,一廠的紅泥產品近乎停產。到了八○年時,一廠雕塑車間的趙洪生技師開發出沾漿紅泥,但因製造複雜,不久即停產。到了1982年遂以川埠嫩泥,加入鐵紅粉作為紅泥原料,這時一廠所出產的紅泥壺,台灣玩家稱為紅土壺(紅土罐仔),由彼時起,紅土壺與朱泥壺涇渭分明,各有所值。

但是到了九○年代末期,由趙莊山開挖出石黃礦,某些人認為這就是古朱泥的原礦,由其所煉燒成的壺品,就稱之為「朱泥壺」,主張這種新朱泥壺就是古朱泥壺的延續,然而有某些人認為這種新石黃礦並非舊時所產的朱泥原礦,或者認為這種新石黃礦所製成的壺,其煉製、結燒、質感、色感等等各個方面,都與古朱泥壺相去甚遠,根本不能作為古朱泥壺的延續。於是,戰火升起……
summary goes....before Zhuni was mined in Yixing Chuanbu Zhaozhuang village and after 50s due to scarcity of the mine, they continued to use Chuanbu Chalin and Fudong Xiaofu's Xiao Hongni. After 1973 Zhuni ores almost depleted, Factory-1 Hongni products were almost stopping producing, and in 1980, Factory-1 worker, Zhao Hong-sheng tested Neizi Waihong but shortly stopped. After 1982, they mixed in iron oxide powder to Chuanbu Nenni and made pots..during this time, the Taiwanese called Factory-1 Hongni as Hongtu...blah blah.

Why I posted this is because of the usage of the term 'Chuanbu'. Chuanbu village covers quite a large area, for example, Zhaozhuang also belongs to Chuanbu. Above statement's Chalin and Xiaofu's usage during 50s can quite accord with Zhu Ze-wei's book.

But according to 认知红泥, it was 6~70s Zhao Hong-sheng sought for replacement clays for testing Neizi Waihong. And Han Qi-lou's book said they found out Chuanbu Hongni in mid-70s and and the products made of ii have come out since 80s.

Regardless of correcting dates, it seems it's accurate they mixed in iron oxide powder to Chuanbu Nenni to make later products of Hongni. And 'Chuanbu Hongni' can imply quite a large context (you can check Yixing map at how Chuanbu covers a large volume)..but what I disliked was that boring iron oxide Hongni of later Factory-1 years....and wert is quite correct, terms only make things more complicated than before :lol:

Oct 11th, '14, 13:28

by kyarazen » Oct 11th, '14, 13:28

Of course! definitely in the oxidation state. there are theories on how shihuang is formed, and eventually some speculation on the formation of "tian huang" as well. but i'll leave it to the rock collectors to fill in on this as it is not something of my interest yet.

well i'm sure Gu Jing Zhou could be wrong, he should have better defined solubility, whether proper solution or colloidal suspension. I would think a colloid makes more sense, proper "dissolving" doesnt. the disagreement between Gu Jing Zhou and Wang Yin Chun on the issue of hong ni is not on the whole field of hong ni, but only on the very tiny genre known as "烟瘪只", little egg like shapes reminiscent of shi-huang. their disagreement was whether to include this as a hong ni or not, but in both their experiments, the yielded product fired to different colors, which was probably a mistake of the harvester than anything else.

your reference to zhaozhuang old zhuni's porosity, is it the primary porosity, or the secondary porosity? i tend to think it is secondary, due to workmanship and better experience handling the material.

chrl42 wrote:Note, Shihuang and Shihuang Zhuni are not the same thing. Shihuang mostly refers to what resembles an egg, completely no plasticity.

Shihuang Zhuni is what made up old Zhuni, (I guess older ones referred as Shihuangni?)...it is a very complicated subject.

Plus, Zhaozhuang Zhuni is not the only one soluble into water, many Xiaomeiyao and small amount of Huanglongshan Zhuni can do as well.

For me greatness of Zhaozhuang old Zhuni is color and porosity. Is what Xiaomeiyao Zhuni can't imitate, despite it being more delicate in particles and shrinking than Zhaozhuang one.

According to my source, Fudong Hongni was mostly used for Neizi Waihong pots due to lacking plasticity of the clay, the texture was quite Zhuni-like and crystallized (high ringing sound), the color yet loses to earlier Hongni.

Fudong Hongni was only 'fully' used for some Shuiping teapots (I think 中国紫砂名壶珍赏 also mentioned that?, but correct me if wrong), Shuiping with such traits, 70s Japan-exported SPs come to mind. It was the most Zhuni-like F1 SP I've had...yet no change in color and no porosity, its texture followed quite similar to Neizi Waihong's 'Hongni' part. But....guess is just a guess :mrgreen:

Xu Li wrote a good article '认知红泥 ', but I've had a quite hard time matching actual models to his samples. The most difficult part of clay study is that,

there are many facts around, but no one suggests exemplars..even Gu Jing-zhou and Wang Yin-chun had different understanding on Hongni/Zhuni clay...

Oct 11th, '14, 14:26

by kyarazen » Oct 11th, '14, 14:26

that article has been well replicated across several sites and I've came across it several times, it does bring forward the usage of Xiao Hong Ni since the zhao zhuang materials didnt last past the 50s era according to the article. but the other implication of the article would mean that factory 1 did produce "zhuni" since the article started on zhu-ni, and talked about the extinction of zhuni in 1973. that raises additional questions.

so all in all it will be very interesting to finalize on what was the materials used for the following
1) peng gai 50s and before shuiping
2) sixties nan meng chen
3) sixty five, first generation qing yin zhong guo
4) end 50s early 60s, Si Jiao Xi, Hui Tou Cheng, Xiao Zi Xi, Da Zi Xi, etc etc
5) Japan exported - Fu-Ji end Qing Dynasty, early ROC, to 50s+ san jiao Meng, san dian xi, tang po

but more relevant to the topic perhaps would be the latter translation of the ending paragraph of what you had quoted, which says that end 90s, zhao zhuang produced some shihuang material, of which some believe to be the original old zhuni kuang, but the finished products are thought to be no where near the old pots.

of course wert generally correct more often than not, i'm just hoping that the crouching tigers and hidden dragons would speak up more often than the both of us debating on clay issues.

chrl42 wrote:It got me interested once again, I've found this article....
以前朱泥原礦的主要產區為宜興川埠趙莊村,礦層位於嫩泥和礦層底部。但是到了五○年代,因為礦源隱沒、開採困難,於是就逐漸以川埠查林、濮東小埠頭等地的小紅泥來代替。到了1973年朱泥原礦將近耗竭,一廠的紅泥產品近乎停產。到了八○年時,一廠雕塑車間的趙洪生技師開發出沾漿紅泥,但因製造複雜,不久即停產。到了1982年遂以川埠嫩泥,加入鐵紅粉作為紅泥原料,這時一廠所出產的紅泥壺,台灣玩家稱為紅土壺(紅土罐仔),由彼時起,紅土壺與朱泥壺涇渭分明,各有所值。

但是到了九○年代末期,由趙莊山開挖出石黃礦,某些人認為這就是古朱泥的原礦,由其所煉燒成的壺品,就稱之為「朱泥壺」,主張這種新朱泥壺就是古朱泥壺的延續,然而有某些人認為這種新石黃礦並非舊時所產的朱泥原礦,或者認為這種新石黃礦所製成的壺,其煉製、結燒、質感、色感等等各個方面,都與古朱泥壺相去甚遠,根本不能作為古朱泥壺的延續。於是,戰火升起……
summary goes....before Zhuni was mined in Yixing Chuanbu Zhaozhuang village and after 50s due to scarcity of the mine, they continued to use Chuanbu Chalin and Fudong Xiaofu's Xiao Hongni. After 1973 Zhuni ores almost depleted, Factory-1 Hongni products were almost stopping producing, and in 1980, Factory-1 worker, Zhao Hong-sheng tested Neizi Waihong but shortly stopped. After 1982, they mixed in iron oxide powder to Chuanbu Nenni and made pots..during this time, the Taiwanese called Factory-1 Hongni as Hongtu...blah blah.

Why I posted this is because of the usage of the term 'Chuanbu'. Chuanbu village covers quite a large area, for example, Zhaozhuang also belongs to Chuanbu. Above statement's Chalin and Xiaofu's usage during 50s can quite accord with Zhu Ze-wei's book.

But according to 认知红泥, it was 6~70s Zhao Hong-sheng sought for replacement clays for testing Neizi Waihong. And Han Qi-lou's book said they found out Chuanbu Hongni in mid-70s and and the products made of ii have come out since 80s.

Regardless of correcting dates, it seems it's accurate they mixed in iron oxide powder to Chuanbu Nenni to make later products of Hongni. And 'Chuanbu Hongni' can imply quite a large context (you can check Yixing map at how Chuanbu covers a large volume)..but what I disliked was that boring iron oxide Hongni of later Factory-1 years....and wert is quite correct, terms only make things more complicated than before :lol:

Oct 11th, '14, 21:55

by chrl42 » Oct 11th, '14, 21:55

1) peng gai 50s and before shuiping
-50 Peng Gai (not ROC Peng Gai), used somewhat 'Fen Tai'-like Hongni which its seasoning ability is comparable Nian Gao Tu. Different from later Hongni products.

2) sixties nan meng chen
-I have one at home, it's Fen Tai (meaning quite tender clay, orange-ish color and excellently porous). But why did you seperate Nan Meng Chen? Do you think they used different clay according to seal? Not all 60s used Fen Tai clay, but selected ones.

-It's one batch of most typical Hongni used during the CR. A trait is quite noticeable 'grits', somewhat dense and heavy, I have some models thought to be made with the similar clays but Qing Yin and other SPs during that period (75) had a higher firing, sometimes iron dots are seen.

I heard Qing Yin also used Fen Tai. my emphasis is Qing Yin just followed the same mould and clay of the period, no special treatment.

- Early 6-letter SPs are becoming rarer, I don't have enough models to be affirmed. From what I know, they had a few batches per period, one of my 大字溪 SP (early-60s) thought to have the same batch of the clay as late-70s SPs.

5) Japan exported - Fu-Ji end Qing Dynasty, early ROC, to 50s+ san jiao Meng, san dian xi, tang po
-this, I don't think seals have much meaning. Like Factory-1, it's a period that defines the clay used. Late-Qing had a very nice Zhaozhuang Zhuni, a typical one, used mostly by Fuji/Changji and other SPs as well.

Early-ROC also used them (like my Meng Chen Hui Ji), but due to the rarity of the clay, early-ROC also used lots of Hongni, Neizi Waihong to replace etc

BTW, I think this discussion is going nowhere. I mean, it's time 'higher level' collectors should chime in.... :oops:

Oct 11th, '14, 23:01

by kyarazen » Oct 11th, '14, 23:01

chrl42 wrote:1) peng gai 50s and before shuiping
-50 Peng Gai (not ROC Peng Gai), used somewhat 'Fen Tai'-like Hongni which its seasoning ability is comparable Nian Gao Tu. Different from later Hongni products.

2) sixties nan meng chen
-I have one at home, it's Fen Tai (meaning quite tender clay, orange-ish color and excellently porous). But why did you seperate Nan Meng Chen? Do you think they used different clay according to seal? Not all 60s used Fen Tai clay, but selected ones.

-It's one batch of most typical Hongni used during the CR. A trait is quite noticeable 'grits', somewhat dense and heavy, I have some models thought to be made with the similar clays but Qing Yin and other SPs during that period (75) had a higher firing, sometimes iron dots are seen.

I heard Qing Yin also used Fen Tai. my emphasis is Qing Yin just followed the same mould and clay of the period, no special treatment.

- Early 6-letter SPs are becoming rarer, I don't have enough models to be affirmed. From what I know, they had a few batches per period, one of my 大字溪 SP (early-60s) thought to have the same batch of the clay as late-70s SPs.

-this, I don't think seals have much meaning. Like Factory-1, it's a period that defines the clay used. Late-Qing had a very nice Zhaozhuang Zhuni, a typical one, used mostly by Fuji/Changji and other SPs as well.

Early-ROC also used them (like my Meng Chen Hui Ji), but due to the rarity of the clay, early-ROC also used lots of Hongni, Neizi Waihong to replace etc

BTW, I think this discussion is going nowhere. I mean, it's time 'higher level' collectors should chime in.... :oops:
i'm not a seal freak, but there is fun in studying the evolution/ontology of seals and the word play of the chinese.

I can think of at least 2 other people whom can chime in on this. although this seems off topic, based the different opinions of people on the clays of each genre, it also mean that they will end up with different pots. it will also influence their purchase decisions on what is "real" and not. very few experts are willing to go public on this knowledge. but maybe this knowledge will be irrelevant anyway, since so many of the real pots dont come to the market at low prices nor in large volumes.

the type of things are only popular in taiwan and its influence in south east asia (which will undergo even more inflation due to scarcity in this area). in mainland china everyone's playing much more with artisan and ming-jia pots. its only a matter of question, how far can a factory made pot go since its "molded", mass produced. its survival is because of its good clay quality and the practicality in tea usage. high level collectors are busy swimming in premium stuff than swim in 商品货

Oct 12th, '14, 23:17

by bagua7 » Oct 12th, '14, 23:17

steanze wrote:I don't know about muo lvni, but since we're asking questions about it... :D does this look like min guo muo lvni?

It's the same pot as posted here and mentioned by chrl42 here.

Thanks to chrl42 & kyarazen for providing all this additional info in such a complex subject. :)

Oct 12th, '14, 23:33

by kyarazen » Oct 12th, '14, 23:33

steanze wrote:Thanks kyarazen! In your study of hong-ni, did you happen to stumble upon 查林红泥 (chalin hong ni)? Do you have any information about it? I heard it is a specific type of xiao hong ni mined in the '50s but I don't know much more about it...
oops i was surprised that i missed this post. perhaps because of the long debates with chrl42 that occluded this little post.

yes. its the chuan-bu (chalin) hong ni that we had debated about in some posts. the current stance of the dissagreement is just on the period of time this material started being used. i've been collecting a small database of images for a while but its insufficient to make any major conclusion till i find the time to analyse them.

Oct 14th, '14, 12:38

by steanze » Oct 14th, '14, 12:38

bagua7 wrote: It's the same pot as posted here and mentioned by chrl42 here.
Thanks bagua! I did see chrl42's post but I had missed the one in your first link. It's not actually the same pot but the clay does look similar.

Oct 14th, '14, 12:50

by steanze » Oct 14th, '14, 12:50

kyarazen wrote: oops i was surprised that i missed this post. perhaps because of the long debates with chrl42 that occluded this little post.

yes. its the chuan-bu (chalin) hong ni that we had debated about in some posts. the current stance of the dissagreement is just on the period of time this material started being used. i've been collecting a small database of images for a while but its insufficient to make any major conclusion till i find the time to analyse them.
No problem - it was great to learn from you and chrl42. Thanks for your reply, I did notice the mention of chuan-bu chalin :)
Looking forward to the results of your analysis!

Oct 15th, '14, 00:55

by bagua7 » Oct 15th, '14, 00:55

Yes you are right, when I said pot is really clay, just a word mix-up. Btw, lovely clay (and pot even though the pic only shows a section of it). It's not one one comes across that easily. Immortalitea mentioned in the other thread that he matched that pot successfully with aged raw puerh amongst a couple of others. What's your personal experience with it?

Oct 15th, '14, 00:58

by Tead Off » Oct 15th, '14, 00:58

kyarazen wrote:
Lao Ni, produced from Tuan Shan, after firing white sandy grains will appear, like pearl jade brightness, if you add some tian qing clay and shi huang clay, after firing you will get light orange deep old color.

Bai-Ni - white clay (chao shan origin) blahblahblahblah
What is Bai ni? Is it a Yixing clay or is it mined in another area? There are relatively few Yixing pots made of this clay. I wonder why?

+ Post Reply