New to tea, and Adagio

For general/other topics related to tea.


Oct 1st, '06, 12:52

New to tea, and Adagio

by Deleted User #2396 » Oct 1st, '06, 12:52

Well first of hello!
Any other Texas tea drinkers out there?
A while back I heard of Adadgio through diggnation, but never got around to ordering. Finally I have ordered and I just can't wait for my order to arrive.
After a couple of days of trying to decide on what teas to buy i finally decided on getting the black tea starter set, and some herbal tea. the black tea in the mornings and when I get home from school, the herbal for before I go to bed.
I hope to find some teas I like in the samplers, but I also can't wait to get more samplers and discover more flavors.
Along with the starter set and the herbal tea I also ordered a jumbo cup because I couldn't resist how the handle looked, and the all glass design.
I'm hoping to learn and enjoy tea for a long time to come, expanding beyond just the black or green tea my local Starbucks offers.
On a side note I also like to cook, and can't wait to make a chocolate lemon cake to go along with the black teas, although the experimentation on trying to keep the lemon flavor and balancing it with the sweetness of the chocolate has been interesting. (I didn't know lemon skins could catch fire like that!)
Now for some question (I know I'm rambling)
What's a good thermometer to use to measure the temperature of the tea?
Would any 'ol coffee thermos do well to keep tea at a pleasant temperature?
What tea that i have ordered to you guys recommend i try first?
Will the guide to tea that comes with the starter set give me a good foundation of knowledge of tea making techniques etc?
Any other tea wisdom is greatly appreciated

User avatar
Oct 1st, '06, 21:32
Posts: 212
Joined: Feb 12th, '06, 22:30

by Warden Andy » Oct 1st, '06, 21:32

Just a meat thermometer will work. As for a thermos, tea does not do well in a thermos. As it sits in the thermos, it changes color and taste, making it not so good.
The guide to tea book only tells you how to brew tea western style. Although, you can learn about a few different tea brewing methods here: http://chineseteas101.com/brewingmethod.htm.
Gongfu takes some practice and skill, but can make great tea if done right. The large gaiwan or glass brewing works very well for green and white tea in particular, and also works well for other teas.
Super elite tea facist....

User avatar
Oct 1st, '06, 23:04
Posts: 383
Joined: Mar 16th, '06, 20:53
Location: Colorado

by daughteroftheKing » Oct 1st, '06, 23:04

Ruel,
Welcome!

You asked for suggestions about the starter samples you ordered:
The Irish Breakfast is smooth and nice to wake up to, while the English Breakfast has a stronger edge that many like. The Earl Grey Bravo was too strong for me but I gave it to a friend who loves it. The Yunnan Gig is good and almost leans toward a green tea taste/texture (to me, anyway).
Of the herbal starter sampler, I've only had the mint and it mixes well with other teas. Since you like lemon (Did you really set a lemon on fire?? LOL!), you'll probably like the citrusy samplers in there.

You might try using some of the blood orange sampler in your chocolate cake creation.

Thermoses work pretty well for keeping your tea hot for a couple of hours, as long as you remove the leaves right after steeping. If you've used it for coffee, though, you may have to work hard at getting out that lingering coffee taste/smell.

If you spend a little time exploring the TeaChat threads, you'll find a ton of info -- and lots of different opinions on how to prepare it. Hope you enjoy your new tea!
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

User avatar
Oct 2nd, '06, 07:57
Posts: 208
Joined: Jul 26th, '06, 07:53

by Samovar » Oct 2nd, '06, 07:57

I highly reccommend the Nissan Travel Thermos. You can steep loose tea in it and it keeps the tea hot for hours without changing the taste.

http://baldmountaincoffee.com/page/BMCC ... e/00002359

Teatime

Oct 2nd, '06, 16:16

by Deleted User #2396 » Oct 2nd, '06, 16:16

daughteroftheKing wrote:(Did you really set a lemon on fire?? LOL!)
Yes, I did, or rather my oven did. I was baking the cake and I had lemon slivers n it and when I went after a bit to check how it was doing I saw the pieces were on fire!

User avatar
Oct 3rd, '06, 21:42
Posts: 383
Joined: Mar 16th, '06, 20:53
Location: Colorado

by daughteroftheKing » Oct 3rd, '06, 21:42

Since you lived to tell the tale, I hope it's ok if I just say...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
:lol:
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Oct 4th, '06, 17:25

by Deleted User #2396 » Oct 4th, '06, 17:25

YAY!
my packaged arrived and i made my first cup of tea.
pictures to follow.

Oct 4th, '06, 21:17

by Deleted User #2396 » Oct 4th, '06, 21:17


User avatar
Oct 5th, '06, 07:23
Posts: 208
Joined: Jul 26th, '06, 07:53

by Samovar » Oct 5th, '06, 07:23

Nice pictures, ruel. Thank you for sharing!

Teatime

Oct 5th, '06, 12:29

by xfxgeforced » Oct 5th, '06, 12:29

ruel wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruel-bobet ... 313191071/

enjoy bad pictures of good tea
That's really cool that they put the temperature and time on the can. So when you order loose tea from adagio, they just like put it in the can, or is it in a plastic bag or something aswell?

User avatar
Oct 5th, '06, 14:51
Posts: 348
Joined: Aug 17th, '05, 10:50

by LavenderPekoe » Oct 5th, '06, 14:51

It is just in the tin. No plastic.
Teas for trade:

+ Post Reply