Oct 26th, '14, 23:24

Why no direct fire with cast iron kettle?

by gunbuster363 » Oct 26th, '14, 23:24

I have been wanting to buy a cast iron kettle because some say it would give better taste to water, however I only have gas stoves at home.

http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... cts_id=203

In this item description it said:

- If you use gas, never place the kettle in direct contact with the fire.

I want to ask why not? We have been boiling water in metal kettle ( don't know what is the material, it was shiny one, maybe aluminium ) since I was borned. Later we switched to electric kettle for boiling water because fire stoves have too much energy loss when boiling water with metal kettle.

Any one know about this?

Oct 27th, '14, 00:02

Re: Why no direct fire with cast iron kettle?

by kyarazen » Oct 27th, '14, 00:02

gunbuster363 wrote:I have been wanting to buy a cast iron kettle because some say it would give better taste to water, however I only have gas stoves at home.

I want to ask why not? We have been boiling water in metal kettle ( don't know what is the material, it was shiny one, maybe aluminium ) since I was borned. Later we switched to electric kettle for boiling water because fire stoves have too much energy loss when boiling water with metal kettle.

Any one know about this?
because it will rust. cast iron is not resistant to rusting unlike stainless steel.

Oct 27th, '14, 03:56

by Tead Off » Oct 27th, '14, 03:56

kyarazen wrote:
gunbuster363 wrote:I have been wanting to buy a cast iron kettle because some say it would give better taste to water, however I only have gas stoves at home.

Any one know about this?
because it will rust. cast iron is not resistant to rusting unlike stainless steel.
Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. You are saying using fire with a tetsubin creates rust? I thought the rust was caused by the water inside of the vessel that is left when not being used. What did the Japanese do for centuries when nothing but fire was available? They learned to dry the tetsubin completely to avoid rusting.

Oct 27th, '14, 04:12

by Jaymo » Oct 27th, '14, 04:12

Tead Off wrote:
kyarazen wrote:

Any one know about this?
Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. You are saying using fire with a tetsubin creates rust? I thought the rust was caused by the water inside of the vessel that is left when not being used. What did the Japanese do for centuries when nothing but fire was available? They learned to dry the tetsubin completely to avoid rusting.
John Baymore explains it in this post: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 60#p263479

There are some applicable posts before & after it as well. I recommend reading the whole thread if you haven't. I was just reading it yesterday, as I'm considering buying a tetsubin soon, and found it extremely worthwhile to read the thread in its entirety.

Oct 27th, '14, 04:30

by Tead Off » Oct 27th, '14, 04:30

OK, thanks. I see where the moisture is coming from.

I'm wondering if using a metal plate between tetsubin and flame would eliminate the possibility of rusting, or at least minimizing.

Oct 27th, '14, 04:44

by kyarazen » Oct 27th, '14, 04:44

using a hotplate is ok, but will take longer to boil. the thermal gradient in the kettle will be larger.

halogen heating is still the closest to that of coal.

+ Post Reply