Yangon, Myanmar

Culture, language, tangibles, intangibles from countries known for tea. China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, India, etc...

Oct 29th, '14, 22:08
Vendor Member

Yangon, Myanmar

by jayinhk » Oct 29th, '14, 22:08

Heading there on Saturday night...I see tea salad and green tea in my future!

Nov 6th, '14, 01:02
Vendor Member

Re: Yangon, Myanmar

by jayinhk » Nov 6th, '14, 01:02

What an amazing place, and not just for tea! I'm drinking the local smoky green tea in a white jade cup right now. Just got back this morning. Everyone drinks brown/black green tea, both plain and with sweetened condensed milk. They also eat tea salad, although there has been an issue with chemical dyes in laphet. That stuff is amazing though. I brought back two kinds of laphet from a good store. Spicy and oily and good. They threw in packs of ground dried shrimp to sprinkle on top. I really like the stuff and it tastes like their green tea. Peanuts, peas and tomatoes go great with the stuff. I sat down in the main market and ate with the locals and they all assumed I was local too, just huge and a little eccentric. Lol

Nov 6th, '14, 03:26

Yangon, Myanmar

by mcrdotcom » Nov 6th, '14, 03:26

Sounds like a great time! Would love to visit sometime!

Nov 6th, '14, 09:16
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 6th, '14, 09:16

It's well worth going! I hope to spend more time there soon.

Nov 6th, '14, 10:34
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 6th, '14, 10:34

jayinhk, Once again you make me jealous. I only get into the border towns across from Mae Sot (Mawaddy) & Mae Sai (Takaletc... something like that). I drink the tea w/ condensed milk but eat only roasted chestnuts. I've tried "tea food" in Thailand & will only say that you are blessed to be able to enjoy such a wide range of flavors & blessed even more to have guts that can handle it.

Nov 6th, '14, 15:19
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 6th, '14, 15:19

Ethan, I'd like to get up to the border towns. I can't drink too much milk, so I didn't drink any of the milk tea (I'm lactose intolerant). I can eat pretty much everything else, though, and I do! ;)

+ Post Reply