Grow your own!

For general/other topics related to tea.

Dec 16th, '14, 18:27

Grow your own!

by The Pepper Assassin » Dec 16th, '14, 18:27

I searched for a thread on growing Camellia Sinensis for Amateurs and aside from a few questions about seeds I found nothing.

Do any of you grow your own tea plants? I've been growing my bush for about a year and am looking forward to the results. I'm mostly doing it as a conversation piece and to maybe try a cup or two at some point, but mostly to learn a bit more about tea and to have fun.

The plant is a Camellia Sinensis Sinensis, and is growing in a large container. It is about 18 inches tall and a quick grower. I see lots of lighter green newer leaf appearing frequently. I live in San Francisco and am leaving the plant outdoors year round. I'm using acidic soil, and pine needles and pine cones as mulch. I water about every other day and less if it rains.

You may be laughing now, but in a few years I will be savoring one of the rarest oolongs in the industry today. So rare and exclusive, in fact, that it is even unavailable to royalty!

Any other growers out there?

Dec 17th, '14, 10:34

Re: Grow your own!

by teaformeplease » Dec 17th, '14, 10:34

I wouldn't quite call myself a grower but I have four seedlings on my windowsill in New Jersey. Man do these suckers take forever to grow! They sprouted in June are about 4 inches high now.

+ Post Reply