Xiaguan help

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 1st, '15, 06:35

Xiaguan help

by stockman » Nov 1st, '15, 06:35

Hi!

I had the chance to taste the 2009 boxed jia ji tuo and I like it. I want to buy 500gr of this tea and I have seen that there's a 'no boxed' version. Anyone knows if it's the same receipe, and as a consequence has the same taste?

The price difference is around a 50% for the non boxed...

And, I have read some opinions about the 'tibetan flame' bricks and some people say that it's too strong and other people say that is really sweet and a good tea. I hate bitter/strong smoky tea, do you recommend me any xiaguan tibetan flame?

Nov 1st, '15, 09:37

Re: Xiaguan help

by mr mopu » Nov 1st, '15, 09:37

Would this be the one you are looking for?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xia-Guan-Jia-Ji ... Xi-VpG6V0w

Nov 1st, '15, 13:22

by Jaymo » Nov 1st, '15, 13:22

mr mopu wrote:Would this be the one you are looking for?
That is what they said they bought already.

I'm not sure about a difference between the boxed and unboxed versions, as I've never really gotten into Xiaguan. Even if they start out the same, I'd imagine there could be variation simply due to storage of product available from different sellers.

Nov 1st, '15, 16:23

by stockman » Nov 1st, '15, 16:23

That's the one that I have and I want to know if the non boxed version it's equal to the boxed one.

Nov 1st, '15, 17:33

by mr mopu » Nov 1st, '15, 17:33

Jaymo wrote:
mr mopu wrote:Would this be the one you are looking for?
That is what they said they bought already.

I'm not sure about a difference between the boxed and unboxed versions, as I've never really gotten into Xiaguan. Even if they start out the same, I'd imagine there could be variation simply due to storage of product available from different sellers.
Yeah, that's the one he wanted to buy. The tea should be the same I would expect.

Nov 4th, '15, 22:43

by toby » Nov 4th, '15, 22:43

I haven't tried but I heard there is a slight difference.

Poor with the one in the bag. They have been sealed since day 1. In terms of aging might not be as good as ones in paper boxes.

Nov 5th, '15, 11:22
Vendor Member

by honza » Nov 5th, '15, 11:22

Every year is produce more than only one batch of this green box Jiaji tuo, you should check the date of your tuo on the box and look for the same date. Normally the first batch is more value and tasty than others from summer or autumn time.

Nov 8th, '15, 08:33

by stockman » Nov 8th, '15, 08:33

I didin't know that are produced more than one batch... How can I know which batch is a tuo?

I have tasted a 2009 boxed and a 2010 not boxed and the 2009 boxed it's mellower and more complex, maybe because of the best ageing as the other one (not boxed) has been sealed since day one.

So, if I buy a tong of not boxed tuos and I keep it in a cardboard box as the boxed ones are, the result will be the same right?

Nov 9th, '15, 09:19
Vendor Member

by honza » Nov 9th, '15, 09:19

there is date - year, month and day. Some tuos was produced and dated in few days like 2009.3.20 but you can find also 2009.3.21 or 22 . But then there is also often 7.month and 11. or 12. in the same year and the tea not must be the same quality.
Jiaji grade in green box and jiaji tuo is paper tong is often not the same quality. Paper tong one is often not made in the spring but in 7. , 9. or late months in the year. The price and collectors value is also different.

Jiaji is some recipe and should be similar quality but if you find some green box 2003 4.month or 12. month and then compare with 2007 production of Jiaji green box, you will think is completly different tea from different factory and area...

Nov 9th, '15, 10:04

by kyarazen » Nov 9th, '15, 10:04

honza wrote:there is date - year, month and day. Some tuos was produced and dated in few days like 2009.3.20 but you can find also 2009.3.21 or 22 . But then there is also often 7.month and 11. or 12. in the same year and the tea not must be the same quality.
Jiaji grade in green box and jiaji tuo is paper tong is often not the same quality. Paper tong one is often not made in the spring but in 7. , 9. or late months in the year. The price and collectors value is also different.

Jiaji is some recipe and should be similar quality but if you find some green box 2003 4.month or 12. month and then compare with 2007 production of Jiaji green box, you will think is completly different tea from different factory and area...

any really delicious ones to recommend?

Nov 9th, '15, 12:36

by stockman » Nov 9th, '15, 12:36

honza wrote:there is date - year, month and day. Some tuos was produced and dated in few days like 2009.3.20 but you can find also 2009.3.21 or 22 . But then there is also often 7.month and 11. or 12. in the same year and the tea not must be the same quality.

so then the first production dates will always be spring ones?

Nov 10th, '15, 01:02
Vendor Member

by honza » Nov 10th, '15, 01:02

No, they use blend of different previous years , is never only fresh tea inside. But like the 2007 one, there may only summer rainy seasson tea inside, the tuo is pretty bad, astringency is too strong, just taste pretty bad.

Nov 10th, '15, 02:59

by PurplePotato » Nov 10th, '15, 02:59

kyarazen wrote:

any really delicious ones to recommend?
He may be reluctant to quote his own shop, but my guess is some of these qualify: http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/ca ... an&x=0&y=0. This one in particular has a description that almost makes me salivate: http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/20 ... -100g.html. Maybe Honza will mention one of his favorites that he sells.

Nov 10th, '15, 04:12

by stockman » Nov 10th, '15, 04:12

honza wrote:No, they use blend of different previous years , is never only fresh tea inside. But like the 2007 one, there may only summer rainy seasson tea inside, the tuo is pretty bad, astringency is too strong, just taste pretty bad.
there's any way to know which year is good to long term storage? (other way than having to buy a sample of each year)

And, for long storage, do you think that it's worth the money to buy the boxed te ji or it will be better to buy a tong of non boxed and keep it in a cardboard box to emulate the boxed storage environment? (despite knowing that the boxed has better quality leaves).

Nov 10th, '15, 05:50

by theredbaron » Nov 10th, '15, 05:50

stockman wrote:
honza wrote:No, they use blend of different previous years , is never only fresh tea inside. But like the 2007 one, there may only summer rainy seasson tea inside, the tuo is pretty bad, astringency is too strong, just taste pretty bad.
there's any way to know which year is good to long term storage? (other way than having to buy a sample of each year)

And, for long storage, do you think that it's worth the money to buy the boxed te ji or it will be better to buy a tong of non boxed and keep it in a cardboard box to emulate the boxed storage environment? (despite knowing that the boxed has better quality leaves).

To store the non-boxed tuos you just open the bag in which they come and store them that way. Some sellers sell the tuos in an already open bag.

+ Post Reply