Hello from a truly green noob!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Dec 18th, '15, 00:44

Hello from a truly green noob!

by src3collector » Dec 18th, '15, 00:44

No pun intended, although I do drink lots of green tea! I've always liked tea, and have always wanted to try some more authentic teas, I just don't even know where to start. I have a tea ball I bought many years ago, but it's still sitting in a kitchen drawer in its original packaging. One day I'll get some tea for it!

To be completely honest though, the real reason I signed up here is to hopefully learn to identify some teaware. I recently acquired some teaware that was part of an auction. There's a couple Yixing teapots (that took quite some time just for me to figure Yixing out!), cups, japanese pottery, etc. I'm from Detroit and Polish, although living in Texas now, so I don't have the faintest idea on how to decipher the characters and marks on this stuff. I found that most of these items were purchased and shipped from Japan and China. The person who originally purchased these had expensive tastes, so I think they may be at least a little valuable, I'm just not sure. Unfortunately there were a bunch of empty boxes so I don't even know what box goes to which piece.

Enough rambling, I have a LOT of digging around to do on these forums. I found one thread on Yixing teapots with almost 200 pages. I think I'll start there. Off I go searching! Wish me luck...no really, PLEASE wish me luck, with all the online searching I've already done I'm feeling like it'll be a miracle if I ever get this stuff identified.

Dec 18th, '15, 00:54
Vendor Member

Re: Hello from a truly green noob!

by jayinhk » Dec 18th, '15, 00:54

Post some pics ;)

Jan 13th, '16, 20:50

by src3collector » Jan 13th, '16, 20:50

Here's a pic of a tea ceremony spoon. This is my first post with a pic so I'm trying it out before I add some more.

Jan 13th, '16, 21:09

by src3collector » Jan 13th, '16, 21:09

Awesome, now that that worked, here's some more! If anyone has any info on these I would greatly appreciate it! So far the only one I think I figured out is the darker blue glaze one with the wood box. If I'm correct it's made by Seigan Yamane. Also interesting is that on the inside of the wood lid it says "TeaChat" and "Magorokodo"

+ Post Reply