New Look, Work in Progress...

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Mar 15th, '16, 14:59

Re: New Look, Work in Progress...

by Balthazar » Mar 15th, '16, 14:59

I can't find for the life of me figure out how to send a personal message anymore. That it, I can start composing it, add recipients, etc., but the button to send or save what I have written seems to be gone.

And i really agree regarding the readability. Not at all comfortable for the eyes.

Good to have Teachat back, though :)

Mar 15th, '16, 15:53

by Midwinter_Sun » Mar 15th, '16, 15:53

Yes, I can't find the quote feature, hard usability on the private messages.

And clicking on the private messages box gives broken css in latest firefox :mrgreen:

Mar 15th, '16, 17:25

by chingwa » Mar 15th, '16, 17:25

Forum page lists need to be shown at the top of the page as well as the bottom. Please don't make me scroll all the way to the bottom of a page in order to be able to go to the next page.... so many forums get this basic useability wrong in their march toward 'progress'.

Also the font, as others have mentioned is a bit on the light side, and the purple (which is a color that has nothing to do with tea as far as I can tell) makes it even harder to read the text. I will come back with more feedback as I use the site.

Mar 15th, '16, 17:34

by chingwa » Mar 15th, '16, 17:34

OK More... the 'Post Reply' button should also be at the top and the bottom... right now I have to scroll all over the place to do basic forum functions.

The 'view' box next to thread names is completely superfluous... people will click on the title of the thread in order to go to that thread. Getting rid of this will allow you more space for more usable features, such as having a page list right next to the thread/topic (like you used to do) so I can go right to the last page if I want. Currently I have to click a topic, then scroll all the way down the page to get to the page list before I can click to the last page. Insane.

Also perhaps change the 'submit' button when responding to be 'Post Reply' instead. Submit is a bit too bureaucratic and I feel like I'm filling out a form at the DMV or something.

Mar 15th, '16, 17:38

by chingwa » Mar 15th, '16, 17:38

And Another one... underneath the user boxes at the right side you list the 'Joined' date and time. I would argue you don't need to list the time someone joined, get rid of it and you'll both be able to have a bit more space for actual thread content as well as remove the extra unused space caused by the time formatting to the right of the user avatar pictures.

Mar 15th, '16, 17:41

by thirst » Mar 15th, '16, 17:41

Did the option to view the active threads go away? I’d wager it’s one of the most commonly used ways to browse this forum.

Mar 15th, '16, 17:45

by chingwa » Mar 15th, '16, 17:45

the footprints (meaning the 'Home > Welcome > TeaChat Announcements...' links) are inconsistent in placement. On some pages they are skewed all the way over to the right side. Consistency please.

I do like the new teachat logo though :)

Mar 15th, '16, 17:52

by chingwa » Mar 15th, '16, 17:52

Also there's no longer any way to edit a post. :shock:

in addition to the other notes I made above about the user bar on the right, it makes much more sense to bold the user name, rather than less important info such as the number of posts, or date that someone joined.

I think these are all my comments for one day... to be brutally honest the new forum is missing important features, and the design is missing enough basic useability/readability cues that make a casual visit to teachat unenjoyable.

Mar 15th, '16, 18:07

by BW85 » Mar 15th, '16, 18:07

There used to be, after clicking on a thread, a button at the top that said "see unread posts.". ...

Mar 15th, '16, 18:14

by pedant » Mar 15th, '16, 18:14

i agree with what others have said. what i especially care about is:
  • layout could be better optimized to make better use of space (on desktop, idk about mobile).
    i like the old font more.
    i miss the green color scheme, but purple isn't the end of the world i guess.
    editing and PMing really don't work? oh no
    chat
    view active threads / view active topics!!
something else to add:
i think on the old forum, when you're in a forum/subforum view (viewing a list of topics), there were page number links below each topic. IIRC you could, for example, click on the final page number to jump directly to the most recent page of a thread instead of having to first enter the thread and then navigate to the last page. if you could add that back in, that would be cool.

also, i don't remember seeing a notice about this happening. maybe i missed it (my mistake), but advance notice in the future would be much appreciated.

finally, it's not surprising to see that some functionality is (initially) lost after transitioning to a new board/theme. i know you're hard at work, so thanks for the upgrade. i bet it will be better than ever. also thanks for putting the new board up quickly instead of leaving us hanging forever. a board-in-progress is better than no board.

Mar 15th, '16, 18:18

by pedant » Mar 15th, '16, 18:18

also can you please fix the http://teachat.com redirect? it goes to a 403 page http://ww1.teachat.com/index.php

Mar 15th, '16, 18:20

by CWarren » Mar 15th, '16, 18:20

Edited
Last edited by CWarren on Mar 25th, '16, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 15th, '16, 18:48

by BW85 » Mar 15th, '16, 18:48

Aside from all this consecutive feed back, I'm sure everyone is happy that teachats disappearance was only temporary! It would have been sad had it just been gone forever

Mar 15th, '16, 19:05

by pedant » Mar 15th, '16, 19:05

yes, thank you for hosting and for continuing to host teachat!!

Mar 15th, '16, 21:39

by Jaymo » Mar 15th, '16, 21:39

I agree with most of the constructive criticism above.

First and foremost for me, having to scroll to the bottom to go to the next page is already a huge pain in the @## and I've only been back on for a few minutes. Coupled with this is the "REPLY" button only being at the TOP!

Also, the new color scheme is more difficult to read by far. I'm happy to see Teachat is back, but all these little things add up and I see myself checking in less often when there are other comfy venues for puerh discussion also. (Sorry if that comes off overly grumpy or anything. I just liked the old Teachat *much* better!)

+ Post Reply