Experimenting with Water

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 16th, '18, 00:02

Re: Experimenting with Water

by Rickpatbrown » Dec 16th, '18, 00:02

mr mopu wrote: Ever add charcoal to your water?
I haven't tried yet. I thought it sounded very similar to the mechanism of action of a Brita filter. I don't think it would hurt.

Do you boil water with the charcoal? Or drop it into the water an sit for a couple days before using?

Dec 18th, '18, 22:00

by mr mopu » Dec 18th, '18, 22:00

Rickpatbrown wrote:
mr mopu wrote: Ever add charcoal to your water?
I haven't tried yet. I thought it sounded very similar to the mechanism of action of a Brita filter. I don't think it would hurt.

Do you boil water with the charcoal? Or drop it into the water an sit for a couple days before using?
I just rinse a piece off and toss it in the kettle.

Jan 4th, '19, 01:49

by bagua7 » Jan 4th, '19, 01:49

My favourite water:

Best water you can have access to + brewed under the full moon light. You'll be pleasantly surprised about the results.

Had a remarkable Alishan Ju Lu oolong the other day with a particular note that I couldn't figure out, it lasted for the entire session. Don't know what exactly was but the full moon water was the obvious reason since it naturally sweetens the water and makes it more Yin. Try and see for yourself. ;)

Jan 8th, '19, 08:37

by trziste » Jan 8th, '19, 08:37

A Chinese friend of mine says that some tea fanatics in China collect the morning dew to make their tea. This sounds interesting, but if the leaves that you collect the dew from are not clean the water will be dirty. I just use filtered tap water.

Mar 6th, '19, 00:00

by LouPepe » Mar 6th, '19, 00:00

Long time no teachat..

Just wanted to report the fantastic results I’ve had with third wave water brewing aged sheng as well as wuyi yancha. Yet to experiment more with greener oolongs and young sheng but my feeling is it should work great with many of those varieties.

But high roasted oolong and 15+ year sheng brewed with third wave come out richly layered and beautifully round, with a pop to boot.

Cheers, happy drinking

+ Post Reply