Jul 7th, '16, 09:22

Help Identify New Pot?

by Dai-Cha » Jul 7th, '16, 09:22

Hi Guys,

I'm new here but not new to tea. I purchased an interesting 200-300ml pot today from a kind old Chinese man at my local market.
He assured me that it was an authentic Yixing pot and said he purchased it in China for quite a hefty price (I purchased it from him for £32). It is quite heavy for a pot and has thick walls. I haven't brewed in it yet but I will let you know results once I do.

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on it from the markings:

Thanks in advance!

Jul 7th, '16, 10:16
Vendor Member

Re: Help Identify New Pot?

by jayinhk » Jul 7th, '16, 10:16

Looks like a decent modern pot. You paid a very fair price given the value of the GBP today. :D It's a pretty big pot. What are you planning on brewing in it? Looks like it would make a good pu erh pot, particularly shu pu erh.

Jul 8th, '16, 05:13

by Dai-Cha » Jul 8th, '16, 05:13

jayinhk wrote:Looks like a decent modern pot. You paid a very fair price given the value of the GBP today. :D It's a pretty big pot. What are you planning on brewing in it? Looks like it would make a good pu erh pot, particularly shu pu erh.
Thanks for the reply. I thought it was a pretty decent price so went for it.

It's funny you mention Shu Pu-erh because that's exactly what I plan on brewing in it! :D
More specifically, 2005 Menghai 7592 501 Ripe Pu-erh.

Jul 8th, '16, 07:08
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 8th, '16, 07:08

Sweet. Rinse it out well, scrub any loose clay/polishing compound out and then run boiling water through it. You may want to brew some tea in it and leave it overnight. I would rinse the shu twice, and then leave it filled with boiling water. It won't be boiling by the morning, of course. You could do this twice in a row to help get the pot started. Enjoy!

Jul 8th, '16, 07:59

by Dai-Cha » Jul 8th, '16, 07:59

jayinhk wrote:Sweet. Rinse it out well, scrub any loose clay/polishing compound out and then run boiling water through it. You may want to brew some tea in it and leave it overnight. I would rinse the shu twice, and then leave it filled with boiling water. It won't be boiling by the morning, of course. You could do this twice in a row to help get the pot started. Enjoy!
Amazing tip! Thank you.

Jul 8th, '16, 08:04
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 8th, '16, 08:04

No problem! I'd brew for longer with less leaf if you're using that pot entirely for yourself, or just do flash infusions. My biggest shu pot is around 500ml and I only ever grandpa brew with it.

+ Post Reply