Mar 2nd, '17, 10:56

How to prevent yellow teeth from drinking tea

by Juju » Mar 2nd, '17, 10:56

I like to drink tea so much and I drink it every day, but I'm afraid that drinking too much tea can lead to yellow teeth. Do you have any tips to against this?

Mar 2nd, '17, 11:42

Re: How to prevent yellow teeth from drinking tea

by Fuut » Mar 2nd, '17, 11:42

Juju wrote: I like to drink tea so much and I drink it every day, but I'm afraid that drinking too much tea can lead to yellow teeth. Do you have any tips to against this?
A colleague of mine fears the same. She sometimes drinks hot water and no tea. Personally i don't feel these fears are grounded, as in i drink so much coffee, if it could change the color of my teeth they would be pitch black.

If you still want to do something to try and see if it helps, i would suggest starting making less strong tea, perhaps use a better filter (if you make it with lose leaves).
Last edited by Fuut on Mar 2nd, '17, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 2nd, '17, 14:26

by pedant » Mar 2nd, '17, 14:26

yellowing seems to be different for different people. some people's teeth are more susceptible than others'.

you can try rinsing your mouth with water after you drink tea to slow the process.

i say don't sweat it. teeth always get a bit yellow over time. if and when they get too yellow for you liking, then whiten them.

Mar 2nd, '17, 15:56
Adagio
Scrolling: scrolling

by Emily@Adagio » Mar 2nd, '17, 15:56

Juju wrote: I like to drink tea so much and I drink it every day, but I'm afraid that drinking too much tea can lead to yellow teeth. Do you have any tips to against this?
I've personally heard that yellowing happens more with darker teas, like Black tea, because of staining. On the other hand, I've also heard that Green tea can be really helpful for the health of your teeth, and I've seen recipes using Green tea as an ingredient in all-natural mouthwash. So it seems like there might some conflicting information on that topic.

Either way, as long as you're taking care of your teeth (brushing, rinsing, etc.) I don't think tea should have too much of a negative effect on their color.

Mar 3rd, '17, 01:01

by Bok » Mar 3rd, '17, 01:01

Don’t drink tea… :mrgreen:

That green tea is a mouth wash doesn’t mean it leaves teeth whiter, it only means that in previous times people didn’t care much for white teeth and that tea (=cooked water) was healthier and cleaner than standard water.

White does not equal healthy, it is purely cosmetic.

Same reason that back in the days people in Europe drank wine and beer instead of pure water – less contamination.

Mar 3rd, '17, 01:03

by Bok » Mar 3rd, '17, 01:03

pedant wrote: you can try rinsing your mouth with water after you drink tea to slow the process.
that won’t work, just look at well used teapots, only rinsed with water. After a few months deposits start to show.

Mar 3rd, '17, 11:43

by pedant » Mar 3rd, '17, 11:43

Bok wrote:
pedant wrote: you can try rinsing your mouth with water after you drink tea to slow the process.
that won’t work, just look at well used teapots, only rinsed with water. After a few months deposits start to show.
it's a function of exposure time.
i know that when i rinse out teacups immediately after use, they stain more slowly.
also, teapots get much more exposure time than teeth.
having a drink of water (or even brushing your teeth) after tea could only help.

Apr 21st, '17, 17:05

by LooseLeafTeaMarket01 » Apr 21st, '17, 17:05

I brush my teeth with tea tree oil mixed into my toothpaste. You can also drip it onto your dental floss. Its really good for your gums and appears to help remove stains from your teeth.

https://looseleafteamarket.com/collecti ... ential-oil

+ Post Reply