Are you drink tea with milk?

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

May 10th, '17, 22:06

Are you drink tea with milk?

by janet11 » May 10th, '17, 22:06

Hi~
I never try to add milk into tea when I drink tea. What kind of tea will you choose to add some milk to make it taste more smooth? Will it turn into milk tea? And question is coming, Milk in First or Teas in First? Debate continues about whether to put milk in the cup before pouring or after. Originally milk was always added before the tea to prevent the hot teas from cracking the delicate bone china cups. Tea experts agree with this tradition but also state, pouring milk into hot tea after pouring alters the flavour of the tea. I'm really curious what kind of flavor is it, and you? :?:

May 11th, '17, 00:55

Re: Are you drink tea with milk?

by tencats_tea » May 11th, '17, 00:55

janet11 wrote: Hi~
I never try to add milk into tea when I drink tea. What kind of tea will you choose to add some milk to make it taste more smooth? Will it turn into milk tea? And question is coming, Milk in First or Teas in First? Debate continues about whether to put milk in the cup before pouring or after. Originally milk was always added before the tea to prevent the hot teas from cracking the delicate bone china cups. Tea experts agree with this tradition but also state, pouring milk into hot tea after pouring alters the flavour of the tea. I'm really curious what kind of flavor is it, and you? :?:
Almost always.
Only though lately with stronger Assam teas with good malty character. I think of it as a "splash of milk" added to my cup of tea. My tea mug is large holding 10 -12 fluid oz and I add no more than little under 1/2 tbls of whole milk. Just enough milk to color the tea and I think it tweaks the malty hints of a good Assam most favorably. I also enjoy all flushes Darjeeling and a few Ceylon teas. Sometimes I have experimented adding milk to these teas but find it not to my liking. I pour the hot tea, add sweetener, let the cup rest a minute or two and then add milk and stir. Makes for a good cup of tea some would say.

May 11th, '17, 03:16

by janet11 » May 11th, '17, 03:16

tencats_tea wrote:
Almost always.
Only though lately with stronger Assam teas with good malty character. I think of it as a "splash of milk" added to my cup of tea. My tea mug is large holding 10 -12 fluid oz and I add no more than little under 1/2 tbls of whole milk. Just enough milk to color the tea and I think it tweaks the malty hints of a good Assam most favorably. I also enjoy all flushes Darjeeling and a few Ceylon teas. Sometimes I have experimented adding milk to these teas but find it not to my liking. I pour the hot tea, add sweetener, let the cup rest a minute or two and then add milk and stir. Makes for a good cup of tea some would say.
I want to have a try after your description of it.,and will the milk influence the flavor of tea?

May 11th, '17, 09:20
Scrolling: scrolling

by Annabella » May 11th, '17, 09:20

I add milk sometimes to black tea, never to green, i think it's not going well together, beter with lemon/honey. My husband drinks any kind of tea with sugar and milk :D

May 11th, '17, 16:50

by stellarsm » May 11th, '17, 16:50

Hi Janet,

I drink black teas with milk, and have for about 20 years. My grandma being British, she introduced me to drinking tea "English style" -- which is with milk and sugar. Specifically the steps are to pour the hot water over the tea bag and stir. Then remove the tea bag, and add milk and sugar to your desired taste. Stir and enjoy!

I like to make it just a little sweet and add enough milk to be a close to a warm caramel color. Sometimes I find black teas can leave a dryness on the tongue once consumed, but when I add the milk it adds a silkiness to the texture and flavor and I don't have that same dryness.

Give it a try and see what you think!

May 11th, '17, 22:26

by janet11 » May 11th, '17, 22:26

Annabella wrote: I add milk sometimes to black tea, never to green, i think it's not going well together, beter with lemon/honey. My husband drinks any kind of tea with sugar and milk :D
Hi~
The taste of green tea itself is relatively light, and it's real do not need milk. Added will be quite strange. Ha ha ha. :lol:

May 11th, '17, 22:32

by janet11 » May 11th, '17, 22:32

stellarsm wrote:
Hi Janet,

I drink black teas with milk, and have for about 20 years. My grandma being British, she introduced me to drinking tea "English style" -- which is with milk and sugar. Specifically the steps are to pour the hot water over the tea bag and stir. Then remove the tea bag, and add milk and sugar to your desired taste. Stir and enjoy!

I like to make it just a little sweet and add enough milk to be a close to a warm caramel color. Sometimes I find black teas can leave a dryness on the tongue once consumed, but when I add the milk it adds a silkiness to the texture and flavor and I don't have that same dryness.

Give it a try and see what you think!
HI~
First of all, thanks for your suggestion.
Black tea with milk is a British habit for a long time, I think it's another kind of flavor.
I will try and share with others!

May 15th, '17, 09:25

by SakuraTraveler » May 15th, '17, 09:25

Black tea can support milk. Green and white are too light and not astringent for milk to do them any good. I add milk if my black tea has gotten too astringent and bitter. And when I make chai as that is designed for milk.
I don't think it makes any difference, which is added first.. When chai is made in my country the milk and water are boiled at once with the tea for a couple of minutes. I add a teaspoon of milk powder to the black tea if I think I can't drink it straight.
Absolutely agree to the alteration of flavor. Its completely different- mellow and spice are two words I'd use, besides smooth-bodied. Milk cuts through a lot of strong flavors, famously capsaicin spice.

May 15th, '17, 18:33

by dshu » May 15th, '17, 18:33

I usually go no milk and sugar, but I've found I like a splash of almond milk when I'm stuck with cheaper bagged tea.

Oh and I'm a fan of chai too

May 15th, '17, 21:30

by janet11 » May 15th, '17, 21:30

SakuraTraveler wrote:
Black tea can support milk. Green and white are too light and not astringent for milk to do them any good. I add milk if my black tea has gotten too astringent and bitter. And when I make chai as that is designed for milk.
I don't think it makes any difference, which is added first.. When chai is made in my country the milk and water are boiled at once with the tea for a couple of minutes. I add a teaspoon of milk powder to the black tea if I think I can't drink it straight.
Absolutely agree to the alteration of flavor. Its completely different- mellow and spice are two words I'd use, besides smooth-bodied. Milk cuts through a lot of strong flavors, famously capsaicin spice.
I know most of people add milk just want to reduce the bitter taste of black tea, maybe some would like to search another kind of drink ? And what kind of black tea would you like?

May 15th, '17, 21:33

by janet11 » May 15th, '17, 21:33

dshu wrote: I usually go no milk and sugar, but I've found I like a splash of almond milk when I'm stuck with cheaper bagged tea.

Another kind of dilicious?

May 15th, '17, 23:21
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 15th, '17, 23:21

janet11 wrote:
dshu wrote: I usually go no milk and sugar, but I've found I like a splash of almond milk when I'm stuck with cheaper bagged tea.

Oolong and green tea are often mixed with milk at bubble tea places, so it can totally work. Here in HK, we even get green tea frappuccinos at Starbucks.

May 16th, '17, 04:10

by Rui » May 16th, '17, 04:10

No, never. I never add milk or sugar to my tea.

If I did I might be one of very few who do so by adding them to pu'er tea. :? :shock: :o :o

May 17th, '17, 01:04

by Muel » May 17th, '17, 01:04

jayinhk wrote:
janet11 wrote:

Oolong and green tea are often mixed with milk at bubble tea places, so it can totally work. Here in HK, we even get green tea frappuccinos at Starbucks.
Most of the bubble tea place they don't use really tea leaves to make their tea. They use tea essence (artifical tea favourite) 茶精, which is very harmful to our body.

I added milk and sugar in the black tea when I was in Hong Kong (Hong Kong style milk tea). But since I become a tea lover I stopped doing that. Instead I rather enjoy a good quantity black tea, with using a gaiwan and control the steeping time.

May 17th, '17, 05:54
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 17th, '17, 05:54

Muel wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
janet11 wrote:

Most of the bubble tea place they don't use really tea leaves to make their tea. They use tea essence (artifical tea favourite) 茶精, which is very harmful to our body.

I added milk and sugar in the black tea when I was in Hong Kong (Hong Kong style milk tea). But since I become a tea lover I stopped doing that. Instead I rather enjoy a good quantity black tea, with using a gaiwan and control the steeping time.
I don't drink bubble tea or HK milk tea either. lol. I do drink iced tea with lemon, HK style, which is made with teabags I believe. We smash the lemon into the glass and stir it up, sugar and all. I could go for one now...

+ Post Reply