Dec 8th 17 4:26 am
Posts: 1
Joined: Dec 8th 17 4:16 am

Where does the dirty rinse of Moroccan Mint come from?

by TheJasmineDragon » Dec 8th 17 4:26 am

In traditional Moroccan mint tea you brew the “spirit of the tea” first. Then the second brew is a rinse and it looks dirty. I’m noticing a lot of parallels to a problem we keep running into at work. At my coffee shop job we often brew Moroccan mint through our espresso machine (I know :? ). Well it always comes out looking like the dirty rinse in traditional Moroccan mint tea. We always have to strain it before serving it to customers. This is the only machine brewed tea that does this.

So does anyone know why this happens? I’m just looking for some sort of explanation.

User avatar
Dec 8th 17 6:17 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Where does the dirty rinse of Moroccan Mint come from?

by jayinhk » Dec 8th 17 6:17 am

TheJasmineDragon wrote: In traditional Moroccan mint tea you brew the “spirit of the tea” first. Then the second brew is a rinse and it looks dirty. I’m noticing a lot of parallels to a problem we keep running into at work. At my coffee shop job we often brew Moroccan mint through our espresso machine (I know :? ). Well it always comes out looking like the dirty rinse in traditional Moroccan mint tea. We always have to strain it before serving it to customers. This is the only machine brewed tea that does this.

So does anyone know why this happens? I’m just looking for some sort of explanation.
I just read up on the spirit thing! I had no idea Moroccan tea was brewed that way. I'm off to Brussels next month and will be drinking a fair bit of Moroccan whiskey, I think, since Brussels has the largest Moroccan community in Europe! Now that I know what's involved I'm going to enjoy it even more. :D

Because of the pressure used with espresso, you're extracting more when pulling then you would with the conventional method, so you're getting both the 'spirit' and the 'rinse.'

Dec 12th 17 6:51 am
Posts: 755
Joined: Aug 4th 14 9:43 am

Re: Where does the dirty rinse of Moroccan Mint come from?

by Bok » Dec 12th 17 6:51 am

Well, the basic tea used for Morrocan tea is Gunpowder. Mostly Camel brand. That is a green tea from such a low grade that you can not even find it in China, but in every Chinatwon, Asiashop around the world. It is a green tea, very dark rolled leaves, a lot smaller than for Taiwanese oolongs. As the appearance is similar to gunpowder it became its name.

I guess a lot of the dirtiness is actually what it seems to be – dirt and dust.

Used to be a staple of my teas, a long time before I knew anything about good teas.

User avatar
Dec 12th 17 7:49 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Where does the dirty rinse of Moroccan Mint come from?

by jayinhk » Dec 12th 17 7:49 am

Bok wrote: Well, the basic tea used for Morrocan tea is Gunpowder. Mostly Camel brand. That is a green tea from such a low grade that you can not even find it in China, but in every Chinatwon, Asiashop around the world. It is a green tea, very dark rolled leaves, a lot smaller than for Taiwanese oolongs. As the appearance is similar to gunpowder it became its name.

I guess a lot of the dirtiness is actually what it seems to be – dirt and dust.

Used to be a staple of my teas, a long time before I knew anything about good teas.
Actually there are high grade gunpowder teas sold in China, and plenty of people there buy the crap stuff too! I once bought a small bag for 12 cents US...and it was pretty unpleasant! :D

Dec 12th 17 9:50 am
Posts: 755
Joined: Aug 4th 14 9:43 am

Re: Where does the dirty rinse of Moroccan Mint come from?

by Bok » Dec 12th 17 9:50 am

jayinhk wrote: Actually there are high grade gunpowder teas sold in China, and plenty of people there buy the crap stuff too! I once bought a small bag for 12 cents US...and it was pretty unpleasant! :D
I stand corrected! Guess lots of people in China, lots of taste profiles, haha

User avatar
Dec 12th 17 11:56 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Where does the dirty rinse of Moroccan Mint come from?

by jayinhk » Dec 12th 17 11:56 am

Bok wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Actually there are high grade gunpowder teas sold in China, and plenty of people there buy the crap stuff too! I once bought a small bag for 12 cents US...and it was pretty unpleasant! :D
I stand corrected! Guess lots of people in China, lots of taste profiles, haha
I thought the same until this thread; then I did some research. The Wikipedia article on it is pretty interesting!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder_tea

It seems all rolled oolongs were inspired by gunpowder tea!

Dec 13th 17 6:30 pm
Posts: 78
Joined: Oct 24th 17 4:41 pm

Re: Where does the dirty rinse of Moroccan Mint come from?

by 12Tea » Dec 13th 17 6:30 pm

Gunpowder tea in China is understood as something else relative to the West. In China it's called 'zhucha' meaning 'pearl tea'. Anything in tight pearl shape is a zhucha. In the West, 'gunpowder tea' refers more to cheap tightly rolled green tea.