Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Feb 26th 18 3:13 pm
Posts: 3
Joined: Dec 1st 16 12:13 pm

Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by Panos » Feb 26th 18 3:13 pm

Hello everyone,
I recently sampled several yancha and dancong oolongs from Wuyi Origin and was blown away by the quality. Particularly for yancha it was a true revelation!
Are there any other vendors you know that offer similar quality tea?

Up to now I love ordering from ( and will continue) from the likes of:
Yunnan Sourcing
Taiwan Sourcing
Taiwan tea Crafts
Jingteashop
Thunderbolttea
What-Cha

Thanks for any suggestions!
Panos

User avatar
Mar 2nd 18 8:07 am
Posts: 218
Joined: Dec 26th 13 3:59 am
Location: bangkok

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by john.b » Mar 2nd 18 8:07 am

I'm a fan of their teas as well. I've not tried any versions better or even completely equivalent to the best of what they produce, but then it's not as if I've done a lot with sampling the entire range of what is out there.

A shop in the Chinatown here (in Bangkok) carries Wuyi Yancha that are almost as good, but they don't match up well with the best versions from Wuyi Origin. It's more that the better versions from that shop are equivalent to the less impressive range from Wuyi Origin, although I've not really tried any bad teas from them, or even average level teas, really. Their Dan Cong seemed pretty solid to me too.

For both tea types (or lots of them, really) in a site like this people tend to continue to make claims that any given version or example of tea doesn't match what they've tried, or drink regularly. I suppose there really could be an endlessly escalating scale of quality levels, always that one more higher version of "tea that never leaves China" out there to try. I doubt their teas are the absolute top of the scale of what is made. Even if input seems like it might potentially be empty bragging it would still be interesting to hear about teas that seem better than those.

Mar 5th 18 11:58 am
Posts: 3
Joined: Dec 1st 16 12:13 pm

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by Panos » Mar 5th 18 11:58 am

john.b wrote: I'm a fan of their teas as well. I've not tried any versions better or even completely equivalent to the best of what they produce, but then it's not as if I've done a lot with sampling the entire range of what is out there.

A shop in the Chinatown here (in Bangkok) carries Wuyi Yancha that are almost as good, but they don't match up well with the best versions from Wuyi Origin. It's more that the better versions from that shop are equivalent to the less impressive range from Wuyi Origin, although I've not really tried any bad teas from them, or even average level teas, really. Their Dan Cong seemed pretty solid to me too.

For both tea types (or lots of them, really) in a site like this people tend to continue to make claims that any given version or example of tea doesn't match what they've tried, or drink regularly. I suppose there really could be an endlessly escalating scale of quality levels, always that one more higher version of "tea that never leaves China" out there to try. I doubt their teas are the absolute top of the scale of what is made. Even if input seems like it might potentially be empty bragging it would still be interesting to hear about teas that seem better than those.
Thanks for your comments!
And btw I discovered WuyiOrigin form your blog! So thanks for this :)
I would definitely be interested if anyone knows other similar sources. I still haven't tried Essence of Tea, so this will be my next stop. And I am checking out Postcard Teas this weekend, so curious to taste if their high price is justified!

Thanks,
Panos

Mar 6th 18 12:45 am
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 8th 18 3:46 pm

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by Kale » Mar 6th 18 12:45 am

Panos wrote: Hello everyone,
I recently sampled several yancha and dancong oolongs from Wuyi Origin and was blown away by the quality. Particularly for yancha it was a true revelation!
Are there any other vendors you know that offer similar quality tea?

Up to now I love ordering from ( and will continue) from the likes of:
Yunnan Sourcing
Taiwan Sourcing
Taiwan tea Crafts
Jingteashop
Thunderbolttea
What-Cha

Thanks for any suggestions!
Panos
oldwaystea premium stuff are really fantastic and very decently priced. Try the 2016 Laocong Shui Xian and the Premuin Rou Gui. IMO these are comparable to WuyiOrigins and better than the ones you mentioned

Mar 6th 18 3:20 pm
Posts: 53
Joined: Oct 24th 17 4:41 pm

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by 12Tea » Mar 6th 18 3:20 pm

I can highly recommend Teasenz' Wuyi Yancha sampler, I find particularly their Qilan excellent:
https://www.teasenz.com/wuyi-oolong-rock-tea-sampler

Mar 7th 18 10:11 am
Posts: 3
Joined: Dec 1st 16 12:13 pm

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by Panos » Mar 7th 18 10:11 am

Thank you for the oldwaystea and Teasenz recommendations.
I hadn't heard of oldwaystea even. So I'm happy to discover a new vendor for me, that is focused on WuYi teas. Their shipping costs are a bit high for UK where I'm located ( 15$ )but will give it a try.
As for Teasenz, I haven't tried yet but I'm just placing an order now :) Their super low shipping makes it easy to sample.

Thank you!
Panos

Mar 7th 18 3:40 pm
Posts: 2
Joined: Mar 7th 18 3:33 pm

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by ujio » Mar 7th 18 3:40 pm

Im extremly impresssed with the tea from Tea Hong. Little bit pricy but more than worth it, ive yet to find a vendor with better tea quality and their support is legendary. Yea im a fanboy 8)
Never heard from wuyi origin tho. Ill surely check them out soon :)

Mar 9th 18 12:22 am
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 8th 18 3:46 pm

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by Kale » Mar 9th 18 12:22 am

Panos wrote: Thank you for the oldwaystea and Teasenz recommendations.
I hadn't heard of oldwaystea even. So I'm happy to discover a new vendor for me, that is focused on WuYi teas. Their shipping costs are a bit high for UK where I'm located ( 15$ )but will give it a try.
As for Teasenz, I haven't tried yet but I'm just placing an order now :) Their super low shipping makes it easy to sample.

Thank you!
Panos
If you order from OldWaysTea - you MUST try their wild style black tea...really special

User avatar
May 8th 18 10:12 am
Posts: 21
Joined: Nov 28th 17 1:19 am
Location: NYC

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by ShuShu » May 8th 18 10:12 am

Don’t forget to report back!

User avatar
May 8th 18 6:32 pm
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 31st 17 5:17 pm
Location: UK

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by villagezoo » May 8th 18 6:32 pm

I'm also on the search for a highly regarded vendor of wuyi teas. I'm based in EU and am deciding whether to buy from an EU shop, or from China. On my list are:

China:
Jing Tea Shop
Hou De
Wuyi Origin

EU:
Essence of Tea

Are there any other very high quality vendors in EU or China you would recommend?
If you had to pick only one vendor in China and one in EU, which would you pick and why?

P.S. Shipping from US/Canada to EU is just too high. You guys in North America are very lucky to have such a selection of quality shops.

May 8th 18 6:47 pm
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 8th 18 3:46 pm

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by Kale » May 8th 18 6:47 pm

villagezoo wrote: I'm also on the search for a highly regarded vendor of wuyi teas. I'm based in EU and am deciding whether to buy from an EU shop, or from China. On my list are:

China:
Jing Tea Shop
Hou De
Wuyi Origin

EU:
Essence of Tea

Are there any other very high quality vendors in EU or China you would recommend?
If you had to pick only one vendor in China and one in EU, which would you pick and why?

P.S. Shipping from US/Canada to EU is just too high. You guys in North America are very lucky to have such a selection of quality shops.
As for China - I would definitly go for WuyiOrigin (ordered from them many times). And there is also Lazy Cat Teas which offers premium stuff.
As for EU: I heard people talking about a teashop in poland nanmed thetea.pl.

User avatar
May 8th 18 10:52 pm
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 31st 17 5:17 pm
Location: UK

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by villagezoo » May 8th 18 10:52 pm

Thanks for the tips, Kale!

As you seem to be a regular customer of Cindy's, have you tried the dancongs from her husband's family's farm? Would you recommend them as highly as their wuyi teas?

Funny you mention Lazy Cat - I just discovered this site earlier today. And I've bought a few wuyis from TheTea in the last months which I've enjoyed.

May 9th 18 12:40 am
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 8th 18 3:46 pm

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by Kale » May 9th 18 12:40 am

villagezoo wrote: Thanks for the tips, Kale!

As you seem to be a regular customer of Cindy's, have you tried the dancongs from her husband's family's farm? Would you recommend them as highly as their wuyi teas?

Funny you mention Lazy Cat - I just discovered this site earlier today. And I've bought a few wuyis from TheTea in the last months which I've enjoyed.
I have tried a few of their dancongs. I really enjoyed all of them. I am not such a big fan of dancongs so its hard for me to compare them, but they are very pleasing. I should also note that her wuyi are all medium roasted and because she is a skillful roaster that makes her teas very special and fruity (hard to imagine they are even roasted), though very different than other vendors.

User avatar
May 9th 18 9:55 pm
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 31st 17 5:17 pm
Location: UK

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by villagezoo » May 9th 18 9:55 pm

Kale wrote:
villagezoo wrote: Thanks for the tips, Kale!

As you seem to be a regular customer of Cindy's, have you tried the dancongs from her husband's family's farm? Would you recommend them as highly as their wuyi teas?

Funny you mention Lazy Cat - I just discovered this site earlier today. And I've bought a few wuyis from TheTea in the last months which I've enjoyed.
I have tried a few of their dancongs. I really enjoyed all of them. I am not such a big fan of dancongs so its hard for me to compare them, but they are very pleasing. I should also note that her wuyi are all medium roasted and because she is a skillful roaster that makes her teas very special and fruity (hard to imagine they are even roasted), though very different than other vendors.
You've sold me! Gotta order some of Cindy's leaves :)

May 9th 18 10:18 pm
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 8th 18 3:46 pm

Re: Any vendors with quality similar to WuYi Origin?

by Kale » May 9th 18 10:18 pm

villagezoo wrote:
Kale wrote:
villagezoo wrote: Thanks for the tips, Kale!

As you seem to be a regular customer of Cindy's, have you tried the dancongs from her husband's family's farm? Would you recommend them as highly as their wuyi teas?

Funny you mention Lazy Cat - I just discovered this site earlier today. And I've bought a few wuyis from TheTea in the last months which I've enjoyed.
I have tried a few of their dancongs. I really enjoyed all of them. I am not such a big fan of dancongs so its hard for me to compare them, but they are very pleasing. I should also note that her wuyi are all medium roasted and because she is a skillful roaster that makes her teas very special and fruity (hard to imagine they are even roasted), though very different than other vendors.
You've sold me! Gotta order some of Cindy's leaves :)
Be sure to try the RouGui Fruit Style! It is a great tea and won many titles