Mixing Oloongs?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Oct 3rd, '18, 13:10

Mixing Oloongs?

by Teobazbo » Oct 3rd, '18, 13:10

Hy everybody I Chinese friend usually add a bunch of tieguayin to his yan cha / da Hong pao gaywan and brewing them together ! He suggested to me to try, I did it and I found this mix interesting, floral greenish note of one is mixing with the earthy chocolate mineral note of the other, plus is more gentle with the stomach.
What do you think about this?
Pardon me for my poor English.

Oct 3rd, '18, 21:34

Re: Mixing Oloongs?

by FBee » Oct 3rd, '18, 21:34

Teobazbo wrote: Hy everybody I Chinese friend usually add a bunch of tieguayin to his yan cha / da Hong pao gaywan and brewing them together ! He suggested to me to try, I did it and I found this mix interesting, floral greenish note of one is mixing with the earthy chocolate mineral note of the other, plus is more gentle with the stomach.
What do you think about this?
Pardon me for my poor English.
Sounds like a bad idea to me. If the tea needs to be blend it is not good enough by itself. I'd rather buy better tea instead of blending...

Oct 4th, '18, 01:02
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 4th, '18, 01:02

This appears to be an increasingly common thing now, and I am about to offer a mixed tieguanyin/shuixian offering. Mixed blends of this type are now offered at dim sum restaurants in HK (not the same quality as the blend I'm about to offer, obviously)! It does indeed make for an interesting and 'balanced' brew. Well worth trying, but I wouldn't use very high grade tea for this kind of thing.

Oct 4th, '18, 10:10

by Teasenz » Oct 4th, '18, 10:10

Sounds a bit strange, I wouldn't try it with good oolong. Also, I would expect a dark oolong to pretty much overwhelm a light oolong.

If you do try it, I would first brew the dark oolong several steeps and just enjoy the pure flavor, then add a light oolong to it at later stages (to better match intensity).

+ Post Reply