Dec 3rd 18 6:08 pm
Posts: 35
Joined: Feb 9th 12 7:55 pm

Source for Used but not too Expensive Tetsubin

by oolongfan » Dec 3rd 18 6:08 pm

I am looking for a source for used but not break-the-bank Tetsubin pots. I would like to use one to boil water for Gong Fu Cha brewing.

The average price for a used Tetsubin seems to be anywhere from $250-800 USD....is this really the going price?

This is a long term goal..as I don't have the bones in the bank to afford one at the moment ;)

Thanks for your help.
Mary

Dec 4th 18 2:50 am
Posts: 100
Joined: Sep 10th 18 7:09 am

Re: Source for Used but not too Expensive Tetsubin

by FBee » Dec 4th 18 2:50 am

oolongfan wrote:
The average price for a used Tetsubin seems to be anywhere from $250-800 USD....is this really the going price?
From what I gather, 800 is the lower end for a quality Tetsubin. I'd rather wait and go all the way to a really good one, before I compromise.

Dec 4th 18 6:29 pm
Posts: 50
Joined: Mar 25th 18 12:20 pm

Re: Source for Used but not too Expensive Tetsubin

by Puerh3 » Dec 4th 18 6:29 pm

Ask

Hojotea. I bought a brand new one, from Kunzan, cost me around 600$ CAD. Shipping and all included.

Cheers!

Dec 4th 18 11:17 pm
Posts: 35
Joined: Feb 9th 12 7:55 pm

Re: Source for Used but not too Expensive Tetsubin

by oolongfan » Dec 4th 18 11:17 pm

Thank you both for your replies :)

Here I thought good Yixing pots were expensive ;) Having said that, I get it since I also collect and use antique cast iron pans and dutch ovens...and those can cost a pretty penny or two.

Are there any things to look for in getting a Tetsubin? Are there fakes or poor quality Tetsubins out there? I would be using it to boil tea for Gong Fu Cha style tea...using a Yixing pot or Gaiwan to brew the tea.

Dec 5th 18 4:03 am
Posts: 1
Joined: Dec 3rd 18 12:12 am

Re: Source for Used but not too Expensive Tetsubin

by rChrome » Dec 5th 18 4:03 am

I too am looking into my first Tetsubin to replace my electric kettle. I already got a infrared burner to use with a cheap thrift store stainless kettle to get a sense of size and process at least somewhat analogous to how I would use a real Tetsubin.

I have read that infrared heating is the method that most resembles charcoal and is such the best compromise for convenience when brewing in small indoor spaces (as compared to induction or electric). Are these superstitions about induction waves messing with water correct in anyones experience? I use induction with cast iron pots to cook most all of my food and love the convenience but do miss the presence of the element of fire.

Size of the Tetsubin is something I have been wondering about. In the process of using it do people boil the water once and its magic heat retention properties along with low heat keep the water hot for many steeps? Or do others boil water more often. What do people use most; 1 liter or 1.2 or even larger? I mostly make tea alone or for one or two others.

Like the OP I have a budget on the smaller side. Seeing the Hojo list it looks like there are a few beauties available for under $400 that would suit me fine. I enjoy the contrast of humbly cheap teaware with expensive tools, but the deeper I go, the more expensive everything seems to get...

I was reading earlier about using electrolysis to reduce rust on antique models. I am curious, has anyone ever done this?? I would probably start with the less drastic methods of rust removal but I was curious to see electrolysis mentioned here, as the only other place I have seen it referenced was on a motorcycle repair forum!

This post was all over the place but I am excited to participate here. There are so many great threads! This is my first post btw.

Dec 7th 18 1:45 am
Posts: 50
Joined: Mar 25th 18 12:20 pm

Re: Source for Used but not too Expensive Tetsubin

by Puerh3 » Dec 7th 18 1:45 am

I bought my Kunzan from hojotea. It work very good! All hand made. I would suggest him

User avatar
Dec 7th 18 3:22 pm
Posts: 32
Joined: Feb 18th 18 3:51 am

Re: Source for Used but not too Expensive Tetsubin

by OCTO » Dec 7th 18 3:22 pm

rChrome wrote:
Size of the Tetsubin is something I have been wondering about. In the process of using it do people boil the water once and its magic heat retention properties along with low heat keep the water hot for many steeps? Or do others boil water more often. What do people use most; 1 liter or 1.2 or even larger? I mostly make tea alone or for one or two others.
Get a minimum of 1.2L. Do remember that you can only effectively fill 50%-60% of the tetsubin with water. Otherwise boiling water will spew out when it comes to a boil.
rChrome wrote:
Like the OP I have a budget on the smaller side. Seeing the Hojo list it looks like there are a few beauties available for under $400 that would suit me fine. I enjoy the contrast of humbly cheap teaware with expensive tools, but the deeper I go, the more expensive everything seems to get...
Yes. Try out Hojo.. they have a line of reliable tetsubin.

Cheers!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk