Other teas that taste like Yerba Mate, good substitute?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Feb 10th, '19, 15:28

Other teas that taste like Yerba Mate, good substitute?

by katherines » Feb 10th, '19, 15:28

Hi all, apologies for a repeat of this topic if it already exists, but here goes. I fell in love with yerba mate (Gauyaki and Nativa brands) around a decade ago. Coffee consumer prior to that and was just looking for something with less jitteriness but equally complex in flavor. Mate totally delivers on all fronts and has plenty of great added components like antioxidants etc. I drink it sweetened with honey, brewed for a while in a french press. For years I have been concerned over the over consumption of it due in part to the studies on head, neck, throat cancers especially since I drink about a liter a day of it and so I feel like enough is enough. I really enjoy but am eager to find a healthier alternative. Taste is my main goal along with zero cancer risk would be nice, ha. I've read matcha can be rich and grassy? Or long steeped rooibos? Any ideas would love! Thank you!

Feb 18th, '19, 03:30

Re: Other teas that taste like Yerba Mate, good substitute?

by 12Tea » Feb 18th, '19, 03:30

Perhaps you can try buckwheat tea (also known as soba tea).

Feb 19th, '19, 15:55

by twiggysiren » Feb 19th, '19, 15:55

katherines wrote: Hi all, apologies for a repeat of this topic if it already exists, but here goes. I fell in love with yerba mate (Gauyaki and Nativa brands) around a decade ago. Coffee consumer prior to that and was just looking for something with less jitteriness but equally complex in flavor. Mate totally delivers on all fronts and has plenty of great added components like antioxidants etc. I drink it sweetened with honey, brewed for a while in a french press. For years I have been concerned over the over consumption of it due in part to the studies on head, neck, throat cancers especially since I drink about a liter a day of it and so I feel like enough is enough. I really enjoy but am eager to find a healthier alternative. Taste is my main goal along with zero cancer risk would be nice, ha. I've read matcha can be rich and grassy? Or long steeped rooibos? Any ideas would love! Thank you!
Hi, maybe a roasted green tea like Hoji-cha or Genmaicha would do the trick. I'm a mate lover and these teas are similarly satisfying to me.

Aug 16th, '19, 09:46

by JoonasJ » Aug 16th, '19, 09:46

I recommend that you try Guayusa Tea. It is similar to Yerba Mate Tea but it does not have any carcinogens so there is no risk of cancer. Actually, Guayusa Tea helps with fighting carcinogenic cells.

You can read more about Guayusa here: https://yerbamateculture.com/what-is-guayusa-tea/

Oct 26th, '19, 18:32

by GM701 » Oct 26th, '19, 18:32

Yaupon tea may be a good substitute for Yerba Matte. Interesting beverage:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilex_vomitoria

Nov 29th, '19, 10:43

by 1j2i3l4l » Nov 29th, '19, 10:43

katherines wrote: Hi all, apologies for a repeat of this topic if it already exists, but here goes. I fell in love with yerba mate (Gauyaki and Nativa brands) around a decade ago. Coffee consumer prior to that and was just looking for something with less jitteriness but equally complex in flavor. Mate totally delivers on all fronts and has plenty of great added components like antioxidants etc. I drink it sweetened with honey, brewed for a while in a french press. For years I have been concerned over the over consumption of it due in part to the studies on head, neck, throat cancers especially since I drink about a liter a day of it and so I feel like enough is enough. I really enjoy but am eager to find a healthier alternative. Taste is my main goal along with zero cancer risk would be nice, ha. I've read matcha can be rich and grassy? Or long steeped rooibos? Any ideas would love! Thank you!
hi!!
just wondering if you ever found a decaffinated yerbe mate substitute? I’m looking for the same thing?

Nov 29th, '19, 11:01

by 1j2i3l4l » Nov 29th, '19, 11:01

does anyone know a good decaf substitute
for yerbe mate? i’m looking for something with a similar taste!!

thank you
j

Sep 15th, '20, 05:32

by RitasSkeeter » Sep 15th, '20, 05:32

1j2i3l4l wrote:
hi!!
just wondering if you ever found a decaffinated yerbe mate substitute? I’m looking for the same thing?
Well, maybe guayusa? I like it more than yerba mate, it's more grassy and subtle. And you don't feel the hint of smoke because it's dried with air. You can find it on https://www.matemundo.co.uk/ and read about it if you want to make sure it's safe for you.

+ Post Reply