What kind of first teapot for gyokuro and sencha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 27th, '19, 19:53

What kind of first teapot for gyokuro and sencha?

by Väinämöinen » Feb 27th, '19, 19:53

Hello everybody! Im new to "real tea" since I stopped drinking coffee and got interested in world of tea. Especially Japanese greens like sencha and gyokuro. I've been googling a lot about tea's and different types of teaware and many of those searches ended up to this site, so I think this is the right place to ask this question. :)

What kind of teapot would be good to start? I have pretty low budget at the moment. I could maybe invest only like 50-60euros (around 65-70 usd) and that includes some gyokuro and sencha since Im running out. :lol: So lets say I buy 100g of gyokuro for around 20usd and some 5-10usd 50g of sencha and It would leave me 30-40usd for teapot. First I was tempted to buy just Gaiwan to try different teas, but since I propably dont go too much for chinese ones for now (I guess Japanese is more reliable when it comes to pollution for example) I would propably be drinking sencha (mainly asamushi) and gyokuro.

I've read some topics around this subject and these few teapots have come across:

https://www.o-cha.com/fukamushi-teapot- ... ory_id=164

http://www.yuuki-cha.com/teaware/japane ... hin-teapot

https://www.o-cha.com/arita-teapot-kohi ... ory_id=169

Also.. Propably I could go for some kyusu that is able to handle gyokuro too now for starters and just buy shiboridashi or houhin later. Or just Houhin that can also brew some sencha. I quitted drinking coffee very recently since Im a writer and I need that sip of focus, but I drank it too much and found organic gyokuro from one local teashop (it was expensive, but on sale), had some strong brews and it made me super relaxed and focused. Almost like being littlebit high. :roll: Tea seems to suit writing better as focus enchaser. Coffee makes me too restless.

And just one more thing, I would prefer this ceramic filter if its possible to find from cheap kyusus. Im happy to take thoughts and links to some affordable kyusus. Also, I would like to order all things from same site (teapot, gyokuro, sencha) since I live in europe and those costs and hassle.

Thank you!

Mar 4th, '19, 08:57

Re: What kind of first teapot for gyokuro and sencha?

by JRS22 » Mar 4th, '19, 08:57

If you can stretch your budget this shib is made from a good clay. It’s also a good size for one person since quality teas allow for multiple steeps. I use it with o-cha kariganes and gyokuro.

https://www.o-cha.com/mogake-shiboridas ... ory_id=164

Mar 20th, '19, 14:59

by Väinämöinen » Mar 20th, '19, 14:59

JRS22 wrote: If you can stretch your budget this shib is made from a good clay. It’s also a good size for one person since quality teas allow for multiple steeps. I use it with o-cha kariganes and gyokuro.

Thank you! I ordered porcelain gaiwan as my first brewing vessel since I learned its versatility to brew so many different types of teas to begin the tea journey. Kyusu and shiboridashi are next things on my list. I consider that one which you linked!

Apr 1st, '19, 00:11

by dmourati » Apr 1st, '19, 00:11

Väinämöinen wrote:
JRS22 wrote: If you can stretch your budget this shib is made from a good clay. It’s also a good size for one person since quality teas allow for multiple steeps. I use it with o-cha kariganes and gyokuro.

Thank you! I ordered porcelain gaiwan as my first brewing vessel since I learned its versatility to brew so many different types of teas to begin the tea journey. Kyusu and shiboridashi are next things on my list. I consider that one which you linked!
Hi, I'm in the same boat and ordered a small (140ml) kyusu from kettl for this purpose. I think it should be a good all purpose vessel. Still waiting to receive the shipment from Japan. Until then, I am just drinking matcha.

Apr 2nd, '19, 08:17

by Solman636 » Apr 2nd, '19, 08:17

Väinämöinen wrote:

After all the clay pots and porcelain etc. I have tried my favorite is a $10 gaiwan that holds 150 ml when filled to overflowing that is described as celadon and has a simple lotus bud art that I ordered on eBay and came from China in USPS! I use the saucer for a tea cup. Haha, but I do use a small glass teapot to pour the tea into so it won't steep too long in the gaiwan. The little teapot was $12 on eBay and has a little infuser bowl which catches any spilled leaves.

Sometimes expensive is unnecessary. My expensive Oribe bowl is just decoration now. Haha! Enjoy!

Apr 4th, '19, 09:58

by dmourati » Apr 4th, '19, 09:58

Solman636 wrote:
Väinämöinen wrote:

After all the clay pots and porcelain etc. I have tried my favorite is a $10 gaiwan that holds 150 ml when filled to overflowing that is described as celadon and has a simple lotus bud art that I ordered on eBay and came from China in USPS! I use the saucer for a tea cup. Haha, but I do use a small glass teapot to pour the tea into so it won't steep too long in the gaiwan. The little teapot was $12 on eBay and has a little infuser bowl which catches any spilled leaves.

Sometimes expensive is unnecessary. My expensive Oribe bowl is just decoration now. Haha! Enjoy!
Here's my kyusu. I quite like it. I was surprised how small it is.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=12989
Attachments
IMG_2575.jpg

Apr 26th, '19, 09:22

by Väinämöinen » Apr 26th, '19, 09:22

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice one! Im perfectly happy with my 10$ gaiwan too (from teavivre).

Im yet to buy kyusu or clay pot, but I have really not felt any rush since Gaiwan is so versatile.. And when having this double layered mesh filter it kinda gives me possibility to also drink even fukamushi without actually buying kyusu with fine mesh filter. I rather use money to dry different teas especially now when most of tea's are totally new to me. I can get clay pots and kyusus later. Gaiwan and Glass teapot seem to work just fine for now. I bought this cheap, I think it was like 5$ 300ml glass teapot from yunnan sourcing. It's good for greens and such.

Apr 26th, '19, 09:24

by Väinämöinen » Apr 26th, '19, 09:24

[/quote]

Here's my kyusu. I quite like it. I was surprised how small it is.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=12989
[/quote]

Nice little kyusu! That's what people seem to always say, that they are surprised about the kyusus actual size. :lol:

+ Post Reply