Feb 7th, '07, 01:24

Is this tea press any good?

by snuvidkid » Feb 7th, '07, 01:24

I have the ingenuiTea tea mug, but I came across a tea press that looked intriguing. Does anybody know anything about this one? http://www.shop.com/op/~French_Press_Tr ... sourceid=3

Wouldn't it still leave the leaves in the liquid causing it to become bitter or does it remove the leaves from the liquid and still keep them in the cup? Hope that makes sense.

Any input is welcome.

Feb 7th, '07, 02:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Feb 7th, '07, 02:14

From the picture it looks as though there is a mesh screen on the plunger, which leads me to believe that the tea will not be separated from the water when it is pushed down to the bottom. So, yes it would probably get quite bitter. Still, I'd have to see it to know for sure.

I have a bodum tea press/pot that has a solid plastic plunger, and even that isn't perfect at separating leaves from the water, so I'd keep looking if I were you.

I've heard of travel mugs that keep tea leaves in a top portion of the mug, which seems like a better method. The leaves are infused with hot water at the top of the mug, and at the push of a button the liquid filters down into the main reservoir, away from the leaves. I don't have any experience with these, but I've seen them posted here and there on the forum-- I don't remember where, though (sorry). Just search around for a bit-- you might find something. Good luck!

Feb 15th, '07, 10:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Feb 15th, '07, 10:31

I just found one of those infuser mugs I was talking about. Again, I haven't tried it, but in theory it seems to be the best option. Here you go: Easy Steep Tea Cup

Hope this helps!

Feb 16th, '07, 10:45

by earlgreyrooibos » Feb 16th, '07, 10:45

I think I need to get one of these; it's just what I need! I've been looking for something like this for months.

Feb 16th, '07, 15:05

by procarel » Feb 16th, '07, 15:05

I have one just like the one pictured in the link scruffmcgruff provided. I purchased it through pu-erhtea.com and it cost about 15.00 including shipping. It works real good and makes about 6 ounces of tea at a time. Just right for personal use. They sell it for 9.95 and I figure the shipping to be about 5.00 or close to that. It takes about 3 or 4 weeks to get since it ships direct from China so if you're not in a big hurry it will save you at least ten or fifteen dollars.

+ Post Reply