What is DaYuLing Tea?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 22nd, '19, 05:52

What is DaYuLing Tea?

by youchenhe » Jun 22nd, '19, 05:52

I am DaYuLing 95k tea farmer.
And I have a responsibility to let everyone know about DaYuLing tea.

There are a lot of questions about DaYuLing tea, but my conscience suggests that no matter what area of tea, what kind of tea, if you have the ability, you should go to the production area and go first.
Even if you go to the place to buy tea, there is still a high chance that you will encounter a liar, not to mention the fact that you did not go to the place to buy tea.

Because we buy tea, we must first know where the place of production is, where the characteristics are.
These two things are very important. Because if you don't understand its environment, hydrology, management methods, manufacturing processes, you can never connect the tea you drink with that area, and you can't know whether the tea you drink is the tea of that place.

First of all, most people go to pick the area when they buy tea. Then you can't help but know whether it is DaYuLing tea or some part of Lishan tea, the number of kilometers is used as a benchmark in Provincial Highway No. 8.

For example, I am a 95K tea farmer. My address is 95 kilometers from the Provincial Highway No. 8.
Our village of chief lives in 103 kilometers, so his tea is called 103K DaYuLing Tea.
As long as you are on the Provincial Highway No. 8, you can use the number of kilometers as a title.

Well, knowing this, we can begin to divide the DaYuLing and Lishan tea producing areas! Located 92 to 114 kilometers from the provincial road, I basically call it the DaYuLing Tea Area. The water source is the Bilv River, and the place below 92 kilometers (with the Mulan Bridge as the boundary) is the Lishan Tea Area. The water source used is Hehuan Creek, and the water sources used in these two places are different.

But what everyone needs to know is that the central mountain range of Taiwan is located at the junction of the plates, and we are here in the earthquake-breaking zone and the terrain is rugged. It may be a few hundred meters, and the sunshine conditions, wind field, and soil structure will be different. Therefore, even the tea produced in the same production area has different characteristics.

So what is the taste of DaYuLing Tea?
Because everyone has different opinions, there is no explanation here.
Just let you know that when you buy tea, know more about the place of production, and won’t suffer a great loss.

----------------------------------------------------
This is a photo of this spring tea picking tea.After the harvest of autumn tea, I will share with you the experience of tea management and manufacturing process.

Jun 28th, '19, 05:29

Re: What is DaYuLing Tea?

by Teasenz » Jun 28th, '19, 05:29

Cool that you're using the KM from highway as way to communicate the origin. It's the first time I heard of this. I've seen similar ways of communication, but it's mainly use inside the industry, and to a lesser extend to consumers.

Jun 28th, '19, 06:14

by youchenhe » Jun 28th, '19, 06:14

Teasenz wrote: Cool that you're using the KM from highway as way to communicate the origin. It's the first time I heard of this. I've seen similar ways of communication, but it's mainly use inside the industry, and to a lesser extend to consumers.
Because on our side, the address does not necessarily know where it is. So gradually evolved into the number of kilometers + name to replace the address.

Aug 24th, '19, 17:15

by 1000Gaiwans1Lid » Aug 24th, '19, 17:15

That was a very insightful read! I had to pull up the maps to get a bearing.

Aug 27th, '19, 17:36

by danclinton » Aug 27th, '19, 17:36

Thank you youchenhe for sharing this information. I have been on the end of trying to source teas from exporters from Taiwan, and have seen teas on their offerings that claim to be DaYuLing tea, but are selling for under 200/kilo. I am not sure whether to trust, although I did sample and taste was sweet. If you know of any good, trusted supplier to work with from Taiwan please let me know. My email is: danclintonco@gmail.com. Thank you.

Sep 15th, '19, 03:23

by bagua7 » Sep 15th, '19, 03:23

1. Tea Masters run by Stephane.
Top quality DYL

2. Teamountains. As above.

Sep 17th, '19, 07:57

by Benheld » Sep 17th, '19, 07:57

May I know the origin of it 'DaYuLing tea'?

Oct 31st, '19, 12:17

by youchenhe » Oct 31st, '19, 12:17

Benheld wrote: May I know the origin of it 'DaYuLing tea'?

To talk about the origin of DaYuLing tea, we must first trace back to the Republic of China government retreating to Taiwan, a large number of soldiers are homeless, and because of strategic needs, opened up the Zhongheng Highway.

There were several main purposes at the time:

1. In order to meet the needs of national defense, open up the Central Mountain Range and  build a convenient transportation line that runs through Taiwan and East.
2. Cooperate with national economic construction to facilitate the development of mountain resources.
3. Place the retired officers and men for employment.

Of course, there are deeper reasons, and there is not much to explain here. Some things are better when you don't know.

Originally, the DaYuLing area was planted with alpine fruits and vegetables, but planting fruit in the DaYuLing area is a business model that is not economically viable. Due to the typhoon, the terrain of the DaYuLing area could not stop the severe winds, resulting in the inability to harvest fruits.

In 1969, Chiang Kai-shek (former President of the Republic of China) encouraged
Mr. Chen JinDi to replant tea trees. This is also the beginning of DaYuLing Tea.

Since ancient times, tea trees have been compatible crops that allow the economy to maintain soil and water.
In the past, fruit trees and tea trees were in line with the definition of land afforestation, but more than a decade ago, the government changed this definition. Fruit trees and tea trees no longer met the scope of land afforestation. A large number of state-owned forest classes were recovered. Also led to the disappearance of many alpine tea areas.

Of course, there are political and private interests in it.

Jan 13th, '20, 07:19

by dayulingteaa » Jan 13th, '20, 07:19

youchenhe wrote:
Benheld wrote: May I know the origin of it 'DaYuLing tea'?

To talk about the origin of DaYuLing tea, we must first trace back to the Republic of China government retreating to Taiwan, a large number of soldiers are homeless, and because of strategic needs, opened up the Zhongheng Highway.

There were several main purposes at the time:

1. In order to meet the needs of national defense, open up the Central Mountain Range and  build a convenient transportation line that runs through Taiwan and East.
2. Cooperate with national economic construction to facilitate the development of mountain resources.
3. Place the retired officers and men for employment.

Of course, there are deeper reasons, and there is not much to explain here. Some things are better when you don't know.

Originally, the DaYuLing area was planted with alpine fruits and vegetables, but planting fruit in the DaYuLing area is a business model that is not economically viable. Due to the typhoon, the terrain of the DaYuLing area could not stop the severe winds, resulting in the inability to harvest fruits.

In 1969, Chiang Kai-shek (former President of the Republic of China) encouraged
Mr. Chen JinDi to replant tea trees. This is also the beginning of DaYuLing Tea.

Since ancient times, tea trees have been compatible crops that allow the economy to maintain soil and water.
In the past, fruit trees and tea trees were in line with the definition of land afforestation, but more than a decade ago, the government changed this definition. Fruit trees and tea trees no longer met the scope of land afforestation. A large number of state-owned forest classes were recovered. Also led to the disappearance of many alpine tea areas.

Of course, there are political and private interests in it.
thanks for the information

+ Post Reply