Jul 5th, '19, 16:25

Kettle stones?

by Adstadigt » Jul 5th, '19, 16:25

Not sure where this should go, but I guessed that since the ”teaware” in question is ceramic, it may fit here. Anyway, I recently came across a few stoneware/clay “stones” that are apparently meant to be placed into the kettle to boil with the water. These were basically off cuts from other pieces of teaware and rolled into small stones. They supposedly enhance the taste of the water. Has anyone heard of this practice and can you attest to it?

Jul 10th, '19, 21:18

Re: Kettle stones?

by TEAMOOD » Jul 10th, '19, 21:18

I aslo see some of my friends putting them in the kettle here in China as They were told that those stones can ionize the water which will make the water taste better.

Jul 17th, '19, 08:08

by Adstadigt » Jul 17th, '19, 08:08

TEAMOOD wrote: I aslo see some of my friends putting them in the kettle here in China as They were told that those stones can ionize the water which will make the water taste better.
Thanks for the reply. That’s exactly what I had heard. I went ahead and picked several up out of curiosity. Once I get a chance to use them I’ll come back with my findings 😄

Jul 17th, '19, 10:55

by TEAMOOD » Jul 17th, '19, 10:55

Adstadigt,

You are welcome!Just sharing with people what we know here locally.

What we're sure is that zisha teapot will make tea soup taste better. lol!

Need to experience yourself after a story is being told.

Jul 17th, '19, 12:45

by himitsu~ » Jul 17th, '19, 12:45

i've also see natural stones and pebbles used the same way. and charcoal (often made from bamboo).

Jul 17th, '19, 19:56

by TEAMOOD » Jul 17th, '19, 19:56

In Guangdong Province of China, natural stones and pebbles are also used to steam the fish caught in the mountain area by local restaurants.Fish gets cleaned, sliced and placed on the layer of stones/pebbles in a pan/pot. It takes maybe 10minutes to be fully cooked and tatstes amazing.

Jul 20th, '19, 20:21

by Adstadigt » Jul 20th, '19, 20:21

TEAMOOD wrote: In Guangdong Province of China, natural stones and pebbles are also used to steam the fish caught in the mountain area by local restaurants.Fish gets cleaned, sliced and placed on the layer of stones/pebbles in a pan/pot. It takes maybe 10minutes to be fully cooked and tatstes amazing.
Funny you should mention, I’ve used hot rock cooking several times during backpacking trips. I’ve used larger river stones to cook fish and a couple different types of wild game over open flame. It turns out quite well if you can find a stone that’s even in thickness and can keep it suspended over the flame at the correct height.

Tried the clay kettle stones as well, and I have to say I enjoy using them. I placed about 8 inside my kettle and they made a lovely tinkling sound, much like bells as the water boiled. I used the brand of spring water I’m most used to and I think I detect a little bit of additional softness (?) I’m not quite sure what to cal it. It’s subtle and nothing that revolutionized the experience, but I do appreciate it and I would keep using the stones if all I got from them was that satisfying sound 😂

Jul 21st, '19, 01:09

by Spanky » Jul 21st, '19, 01:09

There are these natural stone lined cup things I've sen in shops around here. I bought one (about one Liter) and let water rest inside for a few hours. The taste change is very noticeable. Strong mineral flavor that I like for some teas but dont use it every time

Jul 25th, '19, 12:40

by Adstadigt » Jul 25th, '19, 12:40

I’d be interested in getting my hands on a pitcher like that. I wonder how natural stone would affect flavor. I’m attaching a photo of the “stones” I’m using. https://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k111 ... tknei.jpeg

+ Post Reply