Want to know strategy to collect puer for drink

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 22nd, '19, 01:58

Want to know strategy to collect puer for drink

by sumpao » Jul 22nd, '19, 01:58

Actually I kind of new in PUER

I try Dayi 7572 I like it

I also try 7542 which is quite nice too

So the question is if I want to buy puer for aging which might not break bang for buck

my limit per year is around 800 USD.

What did you guy think I should buy?

Thanks

Jul 22nd, '19, 23:01

Re: Want to know strategy to collect puer for drink

by TEAMOOD » Jul 22nd, '19, 23:01

Hi sumpao,

I think we're currently share the same stage for Pu'er right now.I tried some samples offered by my friends who are Puer tea farmers during the last three days. Maybe we can exchange some idea on selection.
Joe

Jul 24th, '19, 04:10

by Teasenz » Jul 24th, '19, 04:10

What a great choice to start with 7572 and 7542. These are populair and they're a good reference point for comparing with other pu erh teas.

800$ is a lot of money even per year. Are you planning to buy as an investment? Generally, as an investment it's better to stick to Dayi, Xiaguan and Haiwan factory cakes. These brands have better resale values. CNNP is better to avoid. Small brands are ok, if you buy and store for yourself, but reselling them is harder.

Jul 24th, '19, 05:47

by sumpao » Jul 24th, '19, 05:47

Teasenz wrote: What a great choice to start with 7572 and 7542. These are populair and they're a good reference point for comparing with other pu erh teas.

800$ is a lot of money even per year. Are you planning to buy as an investment? Generally, as an investment it's better to stick to Dayi, Xiaguan and Haiwan factory cakes. These brands have better resale values. CNNP is better to avoid. Small brands are ok, if you buy and store for yourself, but reselling them is harder.
I now 31 year old. I drink tea everyday mostly I consume oolong
But as I try Puer I think I like it.
1 session is around 7g so multiply it with 365 it around 2.5 KG per year if only Puer that 8 cake per year.

I want to biuld an collection to age with me so plus consuming and collecting I think 800 usd/year should be my limit for puer per year.

for ripe and raw.

For Ripe I would go with 7572 I try 2010 version of Yunnan sourcing and it taste great.
I will buy every year 3 cake for new cake to aged in my house.

For Raw puer I super confuse It range from 20 USD per cake to 1000 USD per cake
any suggestion?

Jul 24th, '19, 07:01

by TEAMOOD » Jul 24th, '19, 07:01

Teasenz wrote: What a great choice to start with 7572 and 7542. These are populair and they're a good reference point for comparing with other pu erh teas.

Hi Teasenz,
Learned. Will write it down.

Thanks!
Joe

Jul 24th, '19, 10:44

by sumpao » Jul 24th, '19, 10:44

That budget is to consume only.
Thank for advise.
What is CNNP
For Raw puer it seem range gap is pretty wide

Jul 28th, '19, 14:56

by Shinzo28 » Jul 28th, '19, 14:56

It honestly really depends on your taste. What kind of profiles are you looking for in your PuErh?
Also, is the 800 dollars for how many cakes you are thinking? Do you think you would like to spend 800 on at least a few tongs of different cakes, or of one cake? These are all things that are super important. But mainly it's what kind of PuErh you are most interested in and why this type suites you.

Jul 28th, '19, 19:14

by apache » Jul 28th, '19, 19:14

sumpao wrote: Actually I kind of new in PUER

So the question is if I want to buy puer for aging which might not break bang for buck

Thanks
8 Cakes per year for US$ 800.
So your upper limit is US$ 100 per cake or US 0.30 per gram.
This is a lot of room to have some very decent things as long as you buy no older than 4 or 5 years pu or have some less sought after but very good quality per price tea which does exist.

Stay away from small artisan production till you know how to judge the potential for aging which is a rather difficult skill to learn. My experience tell me processing during production is very very important. You can have top grade material but it was processed incorrectly and after a few years your half decent but correctly processed tea would taste much better than that small production tea from an exotic mountain.

Stick with Dayi 7542 and you would not be that far off. I wish I had bought a tong of 7542 per year right from the beginning and spent less on small productions.

Last, a half decent cake, say costing US $ 30 vs a much sought-after cake costing $ 3000, doesn't mean that the expensive one would taste 100 x better. The cost vs quality graph is not a linear straight line.

Hope this help.

Jul 29th, '19, 22:43

by sumpao » Jul 29th, '19, 22:43

apache wrote:

Thanks
This is a lot of room to have some very decent things as long as you buy no older than 4 or 5 years pu or have some less sought after but very good quality per price tea which does exist.

Stay away from small artisan production till you know how to judge the potential for aging which is a rather difficult skill to learn. My experience tell me processing during production is very very important. You can have top grade material but it was processed incorrectly and after a few years your half decent but correctly processed tea would taste much better than that small production tea from an exotic mountain.

Stick with Dayi 7542 and you would not be that far off. I wish I had bought a tong of 7542 per year right from the beginning and spent less on small productions.

Last, a half decent cake, say costing US $ 30 vs a much sought-after cake costing $ 3000, doesn't mean that the expensive one would taste 100 x better. The cost vs quality graph is not a linear straight line.

Hope this help.
Thanks for your tip for ripe I would go with 7572 for 3 cake/ year
For raw I will think a tong of 7542 is not that expensive.
I will have some money to spare to explore more in may be mountain small sample that provide by many website thanks for tips

Jul 31st, '19, 00:07

by sumpao » Jul 31st, '19, 00:07

sumpao wrote:
apache wrote:

Thanks

Hope this help.
Thanks for your tip for ripe I would go with 7572 for 3 cake/ year
For raw I will think a tong of 7542 is not that expensive.
I will have some money to spare to explore more in may be mountain small sample that provide by many website thanks for tips
Updated I now buy a tong of 2017 7542 price is quite good 33 USD/cake

I plan to buy a tong of 2019 7542 also

Jul 31st, '19, 15:43

by apache » Jul 31st, '19, 15:43

sumpao wrote: Updated I now buy a tong of 2017 7542 price is quite good 33 USD/cake

What is your storage condition? e.g. average temperature and RH?

I store mine around 20 C with RH around 70% and the ageing process is less than half the rate of it would be in Hong Kong or southern China. If RH is less than 50% the ageing process might grind to a halt.

Jul 31st, '19, 23:49

by sumpao » Jul 31st, '19, 23:49

apache wrote:
sumpao wrote: Updated I now buy a tong of 2017 7542 price is quite good 33 USD/cake

I store mine around 20 C with RH around 70% and the ageing process is less than half the rate of it would be in Hong Kong or southern China. If RH is less than 50% the ageing process might grind to a halt.
I live in Bangkok. Temp here is around 30-34 C all year round sometime in winter it will go down to 25 C.

Humidity in Bangkok is 50%-70% (raining season)

Yesterday I prepared my storage room which I think ok to store puer.
I cleaned the room due to it very dusty. and have some smell of not fresh air.

I will go back to my room today to check is the smell is gone after I cleaned it.

My first Tong should arrive this Friday so I will take a picture for you to see.

My question is firstly I plan to store Puer in my bed room but I not sure about the air condition
If I use air condition temp would be around 24-26 C in the night and 30-33 C in day time which I not sure it good for puer?

Jul 31st, '19, 23:49

by sumpao » Jul 31st, '19, 23:49

apache wrote:

I live in Bangkok. Temp here is around 30-34 C all year round sometime in winter it will go down to 25 C.

I will go back to my room today to check is the smell is gone after I cleaned it.

My first Tong should arrive this Friday so I will take a picture for you to see.

My question is firstly I plan to store Puer in my bed room but I not sure about the air condition
If I use air condition temp would be around 24-26 C in the night and 30-33 C in day time which I not sure it good for puer?

Aug 1st, '19, 18:12

by apache » Aug 1st, '19, 18:12

sumpao wrote:
apache wrote:

The climate in Bangkok should be ideal to store puerh. Make sure there is no odd smell including air-freshener, moth-ball etc. in the place you store them. I don't think it would be matter than much with or without air conditioning but one thing you need to be careful is make sure there is no condensation or the tea would become damp and mould would be a problem. When you see mould, it is often too late! Also insects could be a problem too in the tropic.

I would suggest to use cardboard boxes and fill them with tongs and cakes. You don't need the box to be sealed and it would act like a buffer and regulates the changes of temperature and HR and creates a micro-climate inside the box. One very important thing is never mixing raw with ripe but keep them separate in different boxes apart. Ideally, only raws with similar age are keep together in the same box e.g. 1 to 3 years old in one box and 4 to 6 years old in another etc. Check them and inspect them and airing them at least twice a year or every 3 to 4 months.

Aug 3rd, '19, 09:36

by Teobazbo » Aug 3rd, '19, 09:36

Hello Sumpao I will be in Bkk the 7august for few days. Where you get your 7542? Is a trustable source?

+ Post Reply