New to Pu-Erh with a couple questions

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 25th, '19, 18:17

New to Pu-Erh with a couple questions

by bstacy19 » Sep 25th, '19, 18:17

Hi-

I'm new to Pu-Erh, have ordered some but haven't actually had it yet. Waiting for it and my tea pot to arrive. :D

I've read up on it a bit, and am trying to figure out what would be the best storage option for us would be. I don't think we (hubby and I) would ever go super-purist on it, but we would like to treat the tea as correctly as we can without going to extremes. Right now it is a toss up between the top shelf of a sliding door closet (with it open on the far side) in the game room, which has a 75 gallon freshwater fish tank (which I think would help buff humidity if it gets too dry?)- or on top of the bookshelf in our bedroom, which has 1 regular sized north facing window, so not much light at all, and no direct sunlight. We live in Indiana, and have humidifiers for when it gets too dry in the winter (hardly used them last winter, we used to live in Wisconsin, lol). It looks like the average monthly humidity here does keep within the 50% to 75% range. We generally keep the house temp between 68-72 F.

Also, I haven't seen anything about if I would be able to store a Pu Erh cake for several years, but breaking off chunks every so often to use. I ordered the 7 tea Shou sample pack from Crimson Lotus, and was thinking about ordering full cakes of our favorites and let them age a bit, sampling every now and then, adding new cakes to our collection/rotation every now and then. Is it OK to do this?

Thanks!

Sep 28th, '19, 08:39

Re: New to Pu-Erh with a couple questions

by mr mopu » Sep 28th, '19, 08:39

Shou won't change much since it is an already finished process. I would just buy mylar bags and store it in there. Sheng is another animal altogether since it will actually change quite a bit over time.

Sep 29th, '19, 05:35

by 12Tea » Sep 29th, '19, 05:35

I'm not a purist either, but I found that the rules of thumb in this article work really well for me:
https://www.teasenz.com/chinese-tea/how ... h-tea.html
My Shengs are aging nicely. Not sure about ripe, because I don't like ripe pu erh.

Oct 1st, '19, 08:03

by andresito » Oct 1st, '19, 08:03

If you just have samples, I wouldn't worry too much about storage. Protection should be more a priority than aging them properly. Protect them by keeping them sealed, away from strong aromas, and out of direct light/sun. Like mr mopu said, get some mylar bags.

I would suggest sticking to samples and try a lot of puerh before buying any cakes. Honestly, spend a year or two just sampling. Your palate will change as you drink more sheng puerh, and what you thought you liked today you will likely find unimpressive after a year or two of sampling. Then you'll look at that cake and be like...why'd I buy you? Your funds are better spent on samples than cakes initially, IMO

Nov 8th, '19, 12:56

by thommes » Nov 8th, '19, 12:56

bstacy19 wrote: I ordered the 7 tea Shou sample pack from Crimson Lotus
Hi... I'm looking for some shou sample packs as well. I went out to Crimson Lotus and couldn't find this sampler. I saw other samplers that were sold out but still listed on the page. Wondering if they discontinued it or if I just don't know how to use a computer. :) Any chance you have the URL for the product?

Nov 8th, '19, 19:09

by mr mopu » Nov 8th, '19, 19:09

thommes wrote:
bstacy19 wrote: I ordered the 7 tea Shou sample pack from Crimson Lotus
Hi... I'm looking for some shou sample packs as well. I went out to Crimson Lotus and couldn't find this sampler. I saw other samplers that were sold out but still listed on the page. Wondering if they discontinued it or if I just don't know how to use a computer. :) Any chance you have the URL for the product?
Here you go.
https://crimsonlotustea.com/collections ... ample-pack

Nov 9th, '19, 09:02

by thommes » Nov 9th, '19, 09:02

Thank you so much. NO clue how you found that. I looked a while for it.

Nov 11th, '19, 20:32

by mr mopu » Nov 11th, '19, 20:32

thommes wrote:
Thank you so much. NO clue how you found that. I looked a while for it.
No worry at all. Glad I could help out :D

+ Post Reply