Apr 19th, '20, 13:37

How to Safely Use European-style Antique Teacups that Contain Lead and Cadmium

by AMichaels » Apr 19th, '20, 13:37

By the way, I've found a way to enjoy using my antique teacups which likely contain lead and cadmium, though this won't work for teapots. I have purchased glass gaiwans in various sizes which fit well inside my antique European-style teacups. The lip of the gaiwam extends just a tiny bit higher than the cups which is good because it stops my mouth from touching the cup, and it extends outward, which makes it easier to drink from. Because they are glass gaiwans I'm still able to view the lovely painted designs inside the cup, and overall it doesn't disrupt the aesthetic of the outside of the cup because the lip of the glass gaiwan only extends a small amount over the top of the cup. This one fits most of my cups but I'm still looking for a shallow glass gaiwan for my low-wide teacups. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6 ... UTF8&psc=1

Some may think this an odd solution, but for me it is a godsend. I am so thrilled that I've found a way to enjoy my beloved antique (toxic, lead-and-cadmium-ridden) teacups without any harmful effects to my health. I can even buy more teacups from the 1890's and use them without fear for my health.

This is also a fully work-around but for my antique (and therefore likely toxic) mini creamers, I found white silicone molds on Amazon for chocolate making that are in the shape of strawberries. I cut them out and put them in the creamer and pour the soymilk I use in my tea into the mold. It still runs slightly over the spout of the creamer, but only for a few seconds, and since milk/soymilk aren't acidic and is cold, I'm not too worried about it. Hot, acidic liquids make lead and cadmium leach from old china. The silicone strawberry molds come in a sheet, so I cut them out with an X-Acto knife. You could also use scissors. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WR ... 9NG3&psc=1
Silicone may not be entirely non-toxic either, but I think it's a safer option then toxic china, and is ok for use with cold, non-acidic liquids.

In case this helps anyone else who loves old European-style china but doesn't want to poison themself, I wanted to post it. Happy sipping!

Sep 16th, '21, 16:33

Re: How to Safely Use European-style Antique Teacups that Contain Lead and Cadmium

by browngrace » Sep 16th, '21, 16:33

AMichaels wrote: By the way, I've found a way to enjoy using my antique teacups which likely contain lead and cadmium, though this won't work for teapots. I have purchased glass gaiwans in various sizes which fit well inside my antique European-style teacups. The lip of the gaiwam extends just a tiny bit higher than the cups which is good because it stops my mouth from touching the cup, and it extends outward, which makes it easier to drink from. Because they are glass gaiwans I'm still able to view the lovely painted designs inside the cup, and overall it doesn't disrupt the aesthetic of the outside of the cup because the lip of the glass gaiwan only extends a small amount over the top of the cup. This one fits most of my cups but I'm still looking for a shallow glass gaiwan for my low-wide teacups. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6 ... UTF8&psc=1

Some may think this an odd solution, but for me it is a godsend. I am so thrilled that I've found a way to enjoy my beloved antique (toxic, lead-and-cadmium-ridden) teacups without any harmful effects to my health. I can even buy more teacups from the 1890's and use them without fear for my health.

This is also a fully work-around but for my antique (and therefore likely toxic) mini creamers, I found white silicone molds on Amazon for chocolate making that are in the shape of strawberries. I cut them out and put them in the creamer and pour the soymilk I use in my tea into the mold. It still runs slightly over the spout of the creamer, but only for a few seconds, and since milk/soymilk aren't acidic and is cold, I'm not too worried about it. Hot, acidic liquids make lead and cadmium leach from old china. The silicone strawberry molds come in a sheet, so I cut them out with an X-Acto knife. You could also use scissors. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WR ... 9NG3&psc=1
Silicone may not be entirely non-toxic either, but I think it's a safer option then toxic china, and is ok for use with cold, non-acidic liquids.

In case this helps anyone else who loves old European-style china but doesn't want to poison themself, I wanted to post it. Happy sipping!
Hi there! Just wanted to share this lovely manufacturer of transferware tea sets: Burleigh (Denby Pottery). They seem to be very lead free and made in England! Yay!

May 15th, '22, 23:29

Re: How to Safely Use European-style Antique Teacups that Contain Lead and Cadmium

by Bobblertea » May 15th, '22, 23:29

I would be wary of handling anything containing cadmium and lead, because it can get on your hands.

+ Post Reply