Apr 25th, '20, 01:33

What's this inside my Yixing Teapot?

by Sunyatea » Apr 25th, '20, 01:33

Fairly new to brown clay Yixing Sisha Clay Pot's!! Bought this Yixing Sisha Clay Teapot about two weeks ago. Just noticing these marks inside which seem like glaze marks? Is it natural to have this shiny mark on parts of the inside? There about two to three spots like this (might be due to poor craftsmanship)>?!

Anyone have an idea what it could be and if it is safe for me to continue to use this Teapot?

Big thanks to anyone for any advice!!
Attachments
20200424_221945_2.jpg
20200424_221837_2.jpg

Apr 25th, '20, 16:13

Re: What's this inside my Yixing Teapot?

by sporad » Apr 25th, '20, 16:13

Can you tell us if this the same pot with the filter issues that you bought on Amazon for 20? If not, is it new or is it used?

I think it might be hard to tell from the pictures what the marks are. Are they whitish or are they reflecting the flash?

In any case, Yixing pots made out of zisha are not glazed and are not that cheap...

Apr 25th, '20, 23:04

by FBee » Apr 25th, '20, 23:04

Probably a glazing if some sort to make this pot more red. I would not use it. That is what you get if you pay 20$...

Apr 26th, '20, 01:32

by Sunyatea » Apr 26th, '20, 01:32

sporad wrote: Can you tell us if this the same pot with the filter issues that you bought on Amazon for 20? If not, is it new or is it used?

I think it might be hard to tell from the pictures what the marks are. Are they whitish or are they reflecting the flash?

In any case, Yixing pots made out of zisha are not glazed and are not that cheap...

Hey brother, thank you for your kind and informative reply!!

Yes, this is the same pot that was bought on Amazon for 20$. When I inquired to the seller why the pot was so cheap he mentioned to me that his shop were the direct importers for the yixing pots for 30 years and that their business closed 5 years ago. This was one of the pots left over in their old inventory that they are selling for wholesale prices.

I have used many types of Yixing pots when I worked at a Teahouse and I know what a real Yixing pot looks and feels like. This by far is not a cheap clay. Not painted on and does not produce a bad flavor but brews Puerh teas the way they ought to be brewed and tasted. It just so happens that the spout craftsmanship is sadly poor..

The marks in there you see are very shiny spots, not white. It looks like a glaze of some sorts, as if the maker of the pot accidentally touched his brush inside lol

The pot has been building some very nice patena and odor just in the two weeks of use. No toxic smell when brewing and shows all the markings of a genuine Yixing teapot. (high pitch noise when tapping, building patena etc etc). Not sure if the pot is glazed but did look quite shinny when I first received it (which may mean it was glazed?)..

Anyways, I plan on continuing to use it until my good friend ships me my old Purple Clay Yixing Sisha Teapot which was a gift to me given by my Tea master. I suppose that pot is older than me.. lol

Thanks for your questions and kindness. Cheers!

Apr 26th, '20, 01:34

by Sunyatea » Apr 26th, '20, 01:34

FBee wrote: Probably a glazing if some sort to make this pot more red. I would not use it. That is what you get if you pay 20$...
It seems you have much more experience than me brother. This is a temporary pot until I get my original back from my friend. Thanks for you advice! Cheers and happy Tea drinking!

May 7th, '20, 19:10

by Youzi-遊子 » May 7th, '20, 19:10

Sunyatea wrote: Fairly new to brown clay Yixing Sisha Clay Pot's!! Bought this Yixing Sisha Clay Teapot about two weeks ago. Just noticing these marks inside which seem like glaze marks? Is it natural to have this shiny mark on parts of the inside? There about two to three spots like this (might be due to poor craftsmanship)>?!

Anyone have an idea what it could be and if it is safe for me to continue to use this Teapot?

probably clay spray remnants to give the clay a good color and look on the outside.
Similar technique what F1 used when they ran out of Hongni and started "painting" the outside and inside of their zini teapots, to look like Hongni teapots.

Jun 27th, '20, 18:59

by viv8tea » Jun 27th, '20, 18:59

Do you mind dropping the seller link? I’m curious to see if they still have any teapots left in stock!

Nov 7th, '21, 16:51

by Sunyatea » Nov 7th, '21, 16:51

Nov 30th, '21, 04:34

by Xyldor » Nov 30th, '21, 04:34

Sunyatea wrote: Fairly new to brown clay Yixing Sisha Clay Pot's!! Bought this Yixing Sisha Clay Teapot about two weeks ago. Just noticing these marks inside which seem like glaze marks? Is it natural to have this shiny mark on parts of the inside? There about two to three spots like this (might be due to poor craftsmanship)>?!

Just a point of order here. The pot is not Zi Sha (紫砂) which is a much darker almost purple colour. Yours is what is called a Zhu Sha (朱砂) pot which is a cinnabar colour. There are a lot of pots on the market which claim to be from YiXing, but are not. Generally the authentic YiXing pots are to a higher quality standard, but this is not always the case now that factory one has closed and many freelance potters use the place.

Dec 5th, '21, 04:00

by Sunyatea » Dec 5th, '21, 04:00

Xyldor wrote:

Just a point of order here. The pot is not Zi Sha (紫砂) which is a much darker almost purple colour. Yours is what is called a Zhu Sha (朱砂) pot which is a cinnabar colour. There are a lot of pots on the market which claim to be from YiXing, but are not. Generally the authentic YiXing pots are to a higher quality standard, but this is not always the case now that factory one has closed and many freelance potters use the place.

Hello Sir, this is good to know! Yes, I understand now the difference of clay names. When I made this post I did not know the difference. To my knowledge and experience this is a Zhu Sha pot and, is actually quite efficient in its ability to make delicious brew of Puerh Tea. Thank you again for clarifying. Take care

+ Post Reply