Green tea Troubles

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 10th, '20, 05:58

Green tea Troubles

by Sandi » Jul 10th, '20, 05:58

I fell in love with a green tea sample I got from YS.
Its a 2019 Yunnan "Early Spring Silver Strands" Green Tea of Simao.

So I order more green tea from YS but got the 2020 batch thinking the fresher the better. But so far I am quite disappointed. I get the high notes and all but the infusion was not as much as I would like it to be. Also, the aftertaste was not as wonderful as the tea sample given.
This was the tea I tried so far.
Spring 2020 "Yu Luo" High Mountain Pure Bud Green Tea
Spring 2020 Yunnan "Early Spring Silver Strands" Green Tea of Simao
When brewing I think I am rather generous with the amount. 4/5 cup unfurl leaves in a normal gaiwan (120ml ). But that only got me 3 rounds before the notes drop off and "nothing returning" :lol:
With the 2019 sample, there is a lovely creaminess aftertaste that I crave that I could not find in these two teas.

So I was just thinking maybe I need to age the tea for awhile?
or that my expectation was really unfair as I was expecting the same kinda experience I get from jin jun mei black tea or puer or oolong.

Jul 13th, '20, 04:54

Re: Green tea Troubles

by 12Tea » Jul 13th, '20, 04:54

You can't age green tea. Green tea leaves aren't sun-dried, and still contain a high % of water. The flavor will just deteriorate over time. On the other hand, raw pu erh teas are sun-dried, and when exposed to air and a certain level of humidity, it would benefit the flavor.

I would mainly rely on YS on their pu erh teas, when you live outside of EU. In EU, I would order from puerhtea.eu though.

Jul 13th, '20, 07:19

by Sandi » Jul 13th, '20, 07:19

12Tea wrote: You can't age green tea. Green tea leaves aren't sun-dried, and still contain a high % of water. The flavor will just deteriorate over time. On the other hand, raw pu erh teas are sun-dried, and when exposed to air and a certain level of humidity, it would benefit the flavor.

I would mainly rely on YS on their pu erh teas, when you live outside of EU. In EU, I would order from puerhtea.eu though.
Thanks for your advice. I have been getting lots of puer from YS so I thought I try their green since the sample was delicious. Now I am going to get 100g of the 2019 sample instead, as the taste is unforgettable. Gonna giving the rest of the greens I dun like to someone else. Keke :lol:
It's not bad teas in fact it have some really impressive high notes. Just that it's different from the sample I have tasted and that was the taste that got to me. :D

Jul 16th, '20, 02:43

by Bruckner74 » Jul 16th, '20, 02:43

Sandi wrote:I fell in love with a green tea sample I got from YS.
Its a 2019 Yunnan "Early Spring Silver Strands" Green Tea of Simao.

So I order more green tea from YS but got the 2020 batch thinking the fresher the better. But so far I am quite disappointed. I get the high notes and all but the infusion was not as much as I would like it to be. Also, the aftertaste was not as wonderful as the tea sample given.
This was the tea I tried so far.
Spring 2020 "Yu Luo" High Mountain Pure Bud Green Tea
Spring 2020 Yunnan "Early Spring Silver Strands" Green Tea of Simao
When brewing I think I am rather generous with the amount. 4/5 cup unfurl leaves in a normal gaiwan (120ml ). But that only got me 3 rounds before the notes drop off and "nothing returning" Image
With the 2019 sample, there is a lovely creaminess aftertaste that I crave that I could not find in these two teas.

So I was just thinking maybe I need to age the tea for awhile?
or that my expectation was really unfair as I was expecting the same kinda experience I get from jin jun mei black tea or puer or oolong.
Hi! I'm a green tea lover. What you are telling is not so strange. Each production, each year, each batch and even each terroir in a very tight land extension can change the flavor of the same tea. I had the same felling with Bi luo Chun from YS.

+ Post Reply