Nov 20th, '20, 10:46

Tetsubin with urushi glaze

by tonyav214 » Nov 20th, '20, 10:46

I just purchased a testubin that has urushi lacquer in it for rust inhibiting. I’ve rinsed it several times to get rid of the off taste it has in it. It seems clear now. My question is will the urushi flake off after use and is it harmful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 7th, '21, 17:26

Re: Tetsubin with urushi glaze

by Knjitea » Jan 7th, '21, 17:26

tonyav214 wrote: I just purchased a testubin that has urushi lacquer in it for rust inhibiting. I’ve rinsed it several times to get rid of the off taste it has in it. It seems clear now. My question is will the urushi flake off after use and is it harmful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If the urushi is a gray coating on the inside, you should not remove it unless you know what you're doing. This type of coating is done for some modern ironworks as a base layer to protect the iron before you can develop a proper calcium coat on the inside. The urushi if gray/white will generally not flake off. However, if if its a mixture of urushi and iron used to seal cracks, it is possible. Though urushi is harmless to most humans once fully cured, some extremely sensitive people have reported allergic reactions to urushi even after a full cure (10 years plus curing time).

+ Post Reply