Feb 27th, '21, 19:28

Electric kettle vs stove-top

by Jerry9997 » Feb 27th, '21, 19:28

What is better for tea taste? I heard that kettle is bad for tea, so I use glass pot on stove since that. This seems to make sense for me, when I look at the bottom of electric kettle and the sediments. Now I have tested it and I really feels like water from stove has slightly better taste.

I know many people use smart electric kettles and it may be more comfortable than temp meassuring. But I still wonder about the taste. And in electric kettle there will still be steel part in the bottom to heat water and glass should be better for water taste. Moreover that it is good traditional feeling when using old stove method.

What do you think about this and what type of material do you prefer?

May 19th, '21, 16:34

Re: Electric kettle vs stove-top

by Bridgette » May 19th, '21, 16:34

I may be reading your post incorrectly, but do you place your tea in your kettle while the water is boiling/heating up?
Adagio Online Community Manager

May 19th, '21, 18:48

by Jerry9997 » May 19th, '21, 18:48

Bridgette wrote: I may be reading your post incorrectly, but do you place your tea in your kettle while the water is boiling/heating up?
No, I don't. It is only about water taste.

May 20th, '21, 10:24

by Bridgette » May 20th, '21, 10:24

Got it.

Personally, I don't find much of a difference when it comes to the tea kettle itself- it's more about the water quality for me.

May 20th, '21, 15:19

by Jerry9997 » May 20th, '21, 15:19

Bridgette wrote: Got it.

Personally, I don't find much of a difference when it comes to the tea kettle itself- it's more about the water quality for me.
Do you think that the material won´t make a difference in taste? Or this dirt in the bottom that electric kettle often have.

And what water do you find best? I blind tested tea from our tap water 22 ppm and bought bottled water about 100 ppm and I didn´t notice much difference. I read that ideal is between 50 and 150 ppm and something like 17-67 mg/l (ppm) calcium + magnesium total.

May 21st, '21, 11:35

by Bridgette » May 21st, '21, 11:35

Jerry9997 wrote:

Do you think that the material won´t make a difference in taste? Or this dirt in the bottom that electric kettle often have.

And what water do you find best? I blind tested tea from our tap water 22 ppm and bought bottled water about 100 ppm and I didn´t notice much difference. I read that ideal is between 50 and 150 ppm and something like 17-67 mg/l (ppm) calcium + magnesium total.
I don't think I know what you're referring to when you say dirt on the bottom of the electric kettle? Do you mean hard water deposits? These would be minimized by descaling often, but more importantly, using filtered water.

I haven't gone as in depth as you have, as I find the tap water that I filter to be perfectly fine. I have not experienced any taste difference between glass, copper, eletric, etc as far as heating the water.

Yixing teapots may improve the flavor of your tea over time, but you do not heat the water in these.

May 21st, '21, 14:25

by Jerry9997 » May 21st, '21, 14:25

Bridgette wrote:
Jerry9997 wrote:

I don't think I know what you're referring to when you say dirt on the bottom of the electric kettle? Do you mean hard water deposits? These would be minimized by descaling often, but more importantly, using filtered water.

I haven't gone as in depth as you have, as I find the tap water that I filter to be perfectly fine. I have not experienced any taste difference between glass, copper, eletric, etc as far as heating the water.

Yixing teapots may improve the flavor of your tea over time, but you do not heat the water in these.
Yes I mean hard water sediments but sometimes it looks more like rust. I tried to upload picture but it seems like it didn´t work. But it isn´t classic iron rust that has to be grind off. We had it in the kettle and it was able to be cleaned relatively easily. But what about plastic kettle vs glass/steel kettle, it must have the plastic odor, isn´t it?

May 24th, '21, 10:13

by Bridgette » May 24th, '21, 10:13

Hard water can sometimes look like rust, just depends on what's in your water!

It would depend on the quality of the plastic. I've used plastic teamakers in the past and noted no plastic flavor. However, if I've ever purchased say an iced tea in plastic in the past, I certainly notice it then. Of course, this is just my personal experience.

May 24th, '21, 11:36

by Jerry9997 » May 24th, '21, 11:36

Bridgette wrote: Hard water can sometimes look like rust, just depends on what's in your water!

It would depend on the quality of the plastic. I've used plastic teamakers in the past and noted no plastic flavor. However, if I've ever purchased say an iced tea in plastic in the past, I certainly notice it then. Of course, this is just my personal experience.
Thank you for the discussion. To be honest, I bought glass-stainless steel electric kettle maybe a month or two after the main post. I must agree that it is really more convenient. It has plastic lid and it smells slightly plastic, not much. I don´t taste anything in the water. But I didn´t make direct tasting between the kettles so it is only from my taste memory. But the electric one would probably win anyway for its comfort. Honestly, I don´t understand how people can use charcoal water heating. Even with the glass kettle with electric stove I spend to much time only by heating water. I could imagine using charcoal on some special occasions but nor regularly. I must try it once.

+ Post Reply