Wannabe monk from Norway

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Dec 14th, '21, 03:45

Wannabe monk from Norway

by The Last Teabender » Dec 14th, '21, 03:45

I have loved loose teas since I was 12, and found a spiced loose teaf tea they called "monk's tea" in a local tea shop. After that, I have been a loose leaf man, and that tea stayed my favourite among spiced teas.

I have later tried out pure teas, but none grabbed me until just a few weeks ago, when I visited Mei Leaf in London and tasted a Pu'Erh. Wow! This (re)awakened my interest in pure teas, and in the few weeks since then I have discovered that the reason white teas were so boring, was that I was steeping them at far too low a temperature. My naive belief that black=90˚, green=80˚, yellow=70˚ and white=60˚ had not served me well!

I am by no means against any flavourings of hot water, be it proper tea, coffee, latte, herbal brews, or hot chocolate. And I love good hot chocolate! But here, of course, I want to explore pure teas, and given my eye opener, the first corner I'll trawl is Pu'Erh. (He said, while sipping a Guan Yin, grandfather style.)

About me personally: 55 y/o, professor of mathematics/statistics, climber, health nut, life-long mystic, among other things. I'm invitable for a game of Go.

Dec 14th, '21, 11:11

Re: Wannabe monk from Norway

by Bridgette » Dec 14th, '21, 11:11

The Last Teabender wrote: I have loved loose teas since I was 12, and found a spiced loose teaf tea they called "monk's tea" in a local tea shop. After that, I have been a loose leaf man, and that tea stayed my favourite among spiced teas.

I have later tried out pure teas, but none grabbed me until just a few weeks ago, when I visited Mei Leaf in London and tasted a Pu'Erh. Wow! This (re)awakened my interest in pure teas, and in the few weeks since then I have discovered that the reason white teas were so boring, was that I was steeping them at far too low a temperature. My naive belief that black=90˚, green=80˚, yellow=70˚ and white=60˚ had not served me well!

I am by no means against any flavourings of hot water, be it proper tea, coffee, latte, herbal brews, or hot chocolate. And I love good hot chocolate! But here, of course, I want to explore pure teas, and given my eye opener, the first corner I'll trawl is Pu'Erh. (He said, while sipping a Guan Yin, grandfather style.)

About me personally: 55 y/o, professor of mathematics/statistics, climber, health nut, life-long mystic, among other things. I'm invitable for a game of Go.
Hello and welcome to TeaChat! Glad to have you join us :)
Adagio Online Community Manager

+ Post Reply