Jul 7th, '05, 18:57

Brewing: infuser vs. pot

by Mina » Jul 7th, '05, 18:57

I usually brew my tea in a mesh infuser that sits inside the mouth of my teapot. The advantage to this is that the pot is easy to clean afterwards--just rinse and dry. The disadvantage is that I always have to use enough water to reach the top of the pot, even if I just want a cup or two.

I'm wondering if I'd be happier brewing tea directly inside the pot, and then using a strainer for each cup. The tea house I visit does it this way, and without fail I will forget to strain and pour a bunch of leaves into at least one cup out of three. I'm also concerned that my teapot would be much harder to keep clean (as in unstained) this way. But are there major advantages that leave you to prefer inside the pot over infusers?

Jul 10th, '05, 13:49

by Guest » Jul 10th, '05, 13:49

You should consider using two pots. One to brew the tea, then decant all the tea into the other pot. That way, you don't run the risk of oversteeping the leaves. You certainly wouldn't want the first cup to be perfect, and the next one to be awful.

Jul 15th, '05, 20:48

by Kel » Jul 15th, '05, 20:48

I've seen people use two pots, myself. I've used two pots and found it to be not only a bother, but a hazard!

I'm not the most perfect of people, and I find that sometimes I fill the pot too full since "I'm going to decant it, anyway" and end up making the biggest mess.

What I use is a tea PRESS, rather than a pot or a separate infuser. I enjoy using the infusers, or perhaps a teasac when I just want a little. I do skip a step of the teapot when I want just one cup of tea. But, then, I rarely ever want just one cup of tea.

If you think you're just going to want one single cup of tea, then I'd suggest teasac. They do make infusers that will fit inside of a teacup, if you'd like to do it that way, instead of a bag. I'm not sure of too many places that sell those, but you can get them in steel and that gold-type design.

Good luck!
Nothing is ever lost; only rediscovered.

Jul 17th, '05, 16:21

by PeteVu » Jul 17th, '05, 16:21

I used to use a tea ball for one cup of tea, and i have to say it never really did it for me. The tea leaves have very little room to move around and it kind of stifles the flavor. Of course, im sure it would work fine for certain teas, but ive had only bad experiences in the past.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Jul 24th, '05, 05:05

Re: Brewing: infuser vs. pot

by Guest » Jul 24th, '05, 05:05

I mostly drink very good quality tea and one thing that i will never do is use one of this infuser or press.

I brew tea gong fu style and use porcelain gaiwan for green, yellow, white tea, and to taste any new tea.

For the rest of the tea that i am drinking i have a yixing teapot for each one of them. which means that i have a lot of teapot. But one good thing is that they are piece of art made by hand and they do look great on display, not like a piece of tubic glass. The other good thing is that the more you brew tea in it, the best the brew will be. This is proven and it is like in cooking, all pans make better dish like they say.

A good starting set would be a gaiwan, a pitcher, and 4 cups (add a strainer). This set will allow to taste any type of tea then once you ve found one that you like find him a nice little yixing teapot, use it for many years and someday try the same tea in one of these infuser press and in your yixing...you will see the difference for sure.

Sebastien

Jul 24th, '05, 13:32

by PeteVu » Jul 24th, '05, 13:32

Gaiwans are too small and impractical for me and having multiple yi xing teapots is way too expensive. The only reason it tastes slightly better is that yixing absorbs the tea flavor when you brew it. You wont actually LOSE anything if u brew in other mediums, and you will save yourself a ton of money. I use two pots, one stainless steel for steeping, and one cast iron for drinking. The cast iron keeps the tea VERY hot, and I am very happy with the taste. The tea leaves have full range to move around in the steel pot, and steeping can be stopped immediately by straining into the iron pot. Mina is just starting to give up her mesh infuser, so why would u suggest going straight to a tea setup that would cost hundreds? I highly doubt many people, especially someone who just left her infuser, can taste the difference.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Jul 25th, '05, 05:24

by Guest » Jul 25th, '05, 05:24

PeteVu wrote:Gaiwans are too small and impractical for me and having multiple yi xing teapots is way too expensive.
You can find some gaiwan that are around 250cc which make a pretty decent size tea cup for a westerner. And they are not impractical, or at least not to those who give them a try and a little of practice. But, I agree with you, having multiple Yixing CAN be expensive.

PeteVu wrote:The only reason it tastes slightly better is that yixing absorbs the tea flavor when you brew it.
HEHE, you have probably never experienced the same tea brewed in a non-porous vessel and in a yixing teapot that brewed this very same tea for many years because the difference is striking.
PeteVu wrote:I use two pots, one stainless steel for steeping, and one cast iron for drinking. The cast iron keeps the tea VERY hot, and I am very happy with the taste. The tea leaves have full range to move around in the steel pot, and steeping can be stopped immediately by straining into the iron pot.
I am sure that the cast iron pot makes a perfect pitcher. As for the stainless steel teapot, i wouldn't brew my $300/pound Long Jing in that thing... It keeps the heat too well and will just cook the leaves.
PeteVu wrote:Mina is just starting to give up her mesh infuser, so why would u suggest going straight to a tea setup that would cost hundreds?
Why would i suggest that, because if you love tea you will come to this at the end so why take a longer way and ultimately spend more money?

To get a decent gaiwan with 4 cups from Jing de zhen will cost you $50 on the net, you can find a decent Yixing teapot in the same range. Off course, if you look at some of the website from the west, you will be very surprised. I saw some Yixing that were sold for more than $150, while they barelly cost $20!!

-Seb

Jul 25th, '05, 08:28

by PeteVu » Jul 25th, '05, 08:28

You can find some gaiwan that are around 250cc which make a pretty decent size tea cup for a westerner. And they are not impractical, or at least not to those who give them a try and a little of practice. But, I agree with you, having multiple Yixing CAN be expensive.
I have tried a gaiwan, i did not like it. If its too small, you dont get enough tea. If its too big, you lose heat and the tea isnt warm anymore. also, you have to pour all the tea into the cups to stop the steeping process. I would feel quite silly pouring all my tea out into 4 small cups when i only want one for myself, and then have to wash them all. If you leave it in the gaiwan, well there goes your steeping time. Its the real world here, we dont live in a chinese tea cerimony.
HEHE, you have probably never experienced the same tea brewed in a non-porous vessel and in a yixing teapot that brewed this very same tea for many years because the difference is striking.
Thats true, i never have. But i simply dont see such an advantage as to cause me to want to buy yixing pots. Youre the first person ive ever known to rave so much about yixing pots.
I am sure that the cast iron pot makes a perfect pitcher. As for the stainless steel teapot, i wouldn't brew my $300/pound Long Jing in that thing... It keeps the heat too well and will just cook the leaves.
I STEEP in that pot, i do not heat water in that pot. I heat my water using a cooking pot on the stove. The metal is no more hot than the water that goes into it. Its insulting that you think i am dumb enough to do this.
Why would i suggest that, because if you love tea you will come to this at the end so why take a longer way and ultimately spend more money?
Again, this is the REAL WORLD. if youre gonna buy a huge yixing set, you better be committed. And considering she is relatively new to tea, i wouldnt recommend going out and investing in a set when brewing takes practice and skill. Would u like infuse a bitter, poorly brewed tea into a yixing pot and then drink it again and again?

Jul 25th, '05, 10:09

by Guest » Jul 25th, '05, 10:09

PeteVu wrote:also, you have to pour all the tea into the cups to stop the steeping process. I would feel quite silly pouring all my tea out into 4 small cups when i only want one for myself, and then have to wash them all. If you leave it in the gaiwan, well there goes your steeping time. Its the real world here, we dont live in a chinese tea cerimony.
Maybe you could use a single big cup to decant the tea, i think that would work quite well. Here is how i proceed every morning, it is very easy and very fast, i steep the tea in a gaiwan that is 200ml for a few seconds and i decant it in my big cup. Then I can resteep the same tea several time, I do not see where is the hassle? Chinese tea ceremony? which one are you talking about?

PeteVu wrote:Thats true, i never have. But i simply dont see such an advantage as to cause me to want to buy yixing pots. Youre the first person ive ever known to rave so much about yixing pots.

If you have never experienced, it is very normal that you don't find any advantage. I am not a the only one who rave about teapot. I got introduced into traditional Chinese tea by Chinese people in China and during my journey I was happy to notice that people in the USA and Europe are interested in this way of making tea and share their experiences and learn from other in many tea forums on the net. Today, I understand a little bit more why many Chinese traditions are getting lost.
PeteVu wrote:I STEEP in that pot, i do not heat water in that pot. I heat my water using a cooking pot on the stove. The metal is no more hot than the water that goes into it. Its insulting that you think i am dumb enough to do this.
I never said you heat water in that pot! Re-read what i wrote...I said that steel teapot keeps the heat a lot better than porcelain tea ware. Therefore, it is not good for delicate tea as white, yellow, or green to let the leaves in that type of recipient between brews. But, I am assuming that you are brewing gong fu tea and now i think i am wrong.
PeteVu wrote:Again, this is the REAL WORLD. if youre gonna buy a huge yixing set, you better be committed.
Again, you use adjective like huge, expensive for Yixing... you can find some of decent size and reasonnable prices. By the way, i have never mentioned a complete yixing set: I recommended 1 gaiwan and if you find a tea that you like you might want to get a yixing teapot for it.

PeteVu wrote:And considering she is relatively new to tea, i wouldnt recommend going out and investing in a set when brewing takes practice and skill. Would u like infuse a bitter, poorly brewed tea into a yixing pot and then drink it again and again?
Why bitter tea? just like you decant your tea in the cast iron, you can decant the tea into a pitcher, or another yixing teapot or why not a cast iron pot. Would you infuse a bitter, poorly brewed tea into a iron pot and then drinking it again and again?

I don't know why you jump on me when all i did was to suggest to take a look on how I brew tea. It is how tea is brewed in the real China now and it is how it has been brewed for many year. All you did was coming and making assumption on how this is useless, how that doesn't bring any advantages, how this is an hassle but you admitted yourself that you have no experience. For all the lazy lads, why bother brewing tea when you can just grab a bottle of tazo!

Jul 25th, '05, 10:56

by PeteVu » Jul 25th, '05, 10:56

Maybe you could use a single big cup to decant the tea, i think that would work quite well. Here is how i proceed every morning, it is very easy and very fast, i steep the tea in a gaiwan that is 200ml for a few seconds and i decant it in my big cup. Then I can resteep the same tea several time, I do not see where is the hassle? Chinese tea ceremony? which one are you talking about?
so how would that be better than using two pots, where u have the advantage of making one cup or many cups? when drinking I prefer using a smaller cup because it looses alot of heat to my hands and the enviroment. If u use a large gaiwan and decant into a large cup, you lose heat, and i personally, hate lukewarm tea. I also resteep my tea. I said tea cerimony because usally outdated things like a gaiwan are used only for show, and in this case i think it is true. Decanting isnt as perfect as pouring through a strainer. why make things difficult when its just as easy and pleasureable to use a pot?
If you have never experienced, it is very normal that you don't find any advantage. I am not a the only one who rave about teapot. I got introduced into traditional Chinese tea by Chinese people in China and during my journey I was happy to notice that people in the USA and Europe are interested in this way of making tea and share their experiences and learn from other in many tea forums on the net. Today, I understand a little bit more why many Chinese traditions are getting lost.
everyone knows u went to china etc. you keep dropping hints of that to imply that u know more about tea than anyone else simply because u went to china. But the fact of the matter is that if i, an american, brew chinese tea in america, its still gonna be chinese tea. The authentic way may be favored by some, but only the method is different. tea is still tea even if the flavor infused into the pot isnt there.
I never said you heat water in that pot! Re-read what i wrote...I said that steel teapot keeps the heat a lot better than porcelain tea ware. Therefore, it is not good for delicate tea as white, yellow, or green to let the leaves in that type of recipient between brews. But, I am assuming that you are brewing gong fu tea and now i think i am wrong.
a steel pot does not hold heat better than a porcelain pot. When you touch a steel pot after brewing, it is hot. when u touch a porcelain pot it is not hot, but warm. Why? because porcelain is an insulator and steel is a conductor. Steel allows for the easy travel of heat to dissipate out of the pot, while porcelain keeps the heat in. This is simple chemistry, although it is unintuitive because if u touch the pots u think "oh it must be hot inside because it feels hot" while the fact of the matter is that the heat inside the pot is the opposite of what u feel on the outside. and the inside of the pot, where the tea leaves are, is all that matters.
Again, you use adjective like huge, expensive for Yixing... you can find some of decent size and reasonnable prices. By the way, i have never mentioned a complete yixing set: I recommended 1 gaiwan and if you find a tea that you like you might want to get a yixing teapot for it.
buying a yixing pot for your favorite teas is not practical to me. Even the cheapest ones u say are 20 dollars, and that is quite expensive to me! I would rather spend more money on tea than the teaware.
Why bitter tea? just like you decant your tea in the cast iron, you can decant the tea into a pitcher, or another yixing teapot or why not a cast iron pot. Would you infuse a bitter, poorly brewed tea into a iron pot and then drinking it again and again?
im saying that if you make a mistake (we all make mistakes at one time or another) and pour poorly brewed tea into a yixing pot, you have just infused poor tea into a medium that absorbs everything that goes into it. If i infuse bitter tea into my iron pot, i can just pour it out. you cant cleanse a yixing pot so easily.
I don't know why you jump on me when all i did was to suggest to take a look on how I brew tea. It is how tea is brewed in the real China now and it is how it has been brewed for many year. All you did was coming and making assumption on how this is useless, how that doesn't bring any advantages, how this is an hassle but you admitted yourself that you have no experience. For all the lazy lads, why bother brewing tea when you can just grab a bottle of tazo!
if you really think that tazo compares to tea brewed without a yixing pot then you have obviously never tried my methods. China this and china that; simple technology like pots and strainers are here so why not take advantage of them? Tea is tea and there are many methods to get the same result. A gaiwan does not have magical powers that makes my tea taste better. I do have experience with a gaiwan, and i saw no advantages to it. A yixing may bring your tea to a different flavor, but not necessarily a much better one. the tea i brew is flavorful and fresh, and an aged yixing pot may add to the flavor, but i doubt the money for the pot is worth the extra taste. I say that because Tea is tea, and it cant get better than the best. if you put a perfectly brewed tea into a yixing pot over and over again, you get good absorbed flavor that can only augment, not improve, on perfect tea. If i drink a perfect brew from two pots, its still the best, and i would rather not augment it with flavor from a yixing pot.

Jul 25th, '05, 11:02

by chris » Jul 25th, '05, 11:02

Dear Seb,

Please sign in so we can avoid posting confusion!

This is a great thread -- full of good insights on both sides. There is a large, unresolved rift in the tea community about traditional v. contemporary brewing methods. I'd like to see what other folks think!

However, I don't think any tea afficianado should want to or have to suffer with Tazo's bottled teas.

Speaking of Tazo, I got this letter today from a happy Adagio customer-- just wanted to share with everyone!
If Adagio Tea were a person, and that person was a guy, and Adagio Tea and I lived in Vermont -- then I would totally marry Adagio Tea in a gay wedding ceremony. And I would tell everyone about our delicious Citron Green love. And I would have a pony. But seriously -- I love the tea. I love the service. I can't stop raving about Adagio Tea to my friends and random strangers ("Is that a nasty Tazo tea you're drinking, sir or madam as the case may be? Might I convince you to trade in your ass-tastic Tazo tea for a tea of a much higher quality? Why are you running away from me?"). Thanks for bringing loose leaf tea into my life.
Best,

Chris
Citron Green Love Maestro

Jul 25th, '05, 11:06

by PeteVu » Jul 25th, '05, 11:06

If Adagio Tea were a person, and that person was a guy, and Adagio Tea and I lived in Vermont -- then I would totally marry Adagio Tea in a gay wedding ceremony. And I would tell everyone about our delicious Citron Green love. And I would have a pony. But seriously -- I love the tea. I love the service. I can't stop raving about Adagio Tea to my friends and random strangers ("Is that a nasty Tazo tea you're drinking, sir or madam as the case may be? Might I convince you to trade in your ass-tastic Tazo tea for a tea of a much higher quality? Why are you running away from me?"). Thanks for bringing loose leaf tea into my life.
that should be some kind of adagio tea mascot. hero to the masses of those who drink tazo and arizona. swooping down to cast away their useless bottles of inferior tea and replace it with a nice cup of loose leaf tea. While we're at it, might as well get rid of coffee too. ^^

Jul 25th, '05, 12:03

by Mike B » Jul 25th, '05, 12:03

Speaking of Tazo, I got this letter today from a happy Adagio customer-- just wanted to share with everyone!
Hey, that was me! (Or "That was I!" if my high school English teacher Mr. Kielsmeier is reading this.) I'm the Citron Green lover! I've been quoted! Oh, and Citron Tea and I will register at Adagio and Crate & Barrell. Citron would like the utiliTEA kettle and I need this couch like a fat kid needs cake.

I'd also like some cake, please.

If I looked better in tights, I'd totally sign up to be the Adagio Tea mascot. Oh, and if I could fly. If I looked good in tights and could fly and were at all menacing (rather than quaintly befuddled) I would totally sign on. You could pay me in Citron Green and maybe some Apricot Green. The pony? Totally negotiable.

Jul 25th, '05, 12:18

Infuser discussion

by Lana Y » Jul 25th, '05, 12:18

What is a Gaiwan.....and where can I get a Yixing Teapot for $20
A Women is like TEA...You don't know how strong she is until you put her in hot water...

Jul 25th, '05, 12:40

by Guest » Jul 25th, '05, 12:40

Peter, I have the feeling that this conversation is going nowhere. We are holding different point of view on tea. I appreciate tea preparation and tea drinking in Chinese old fashion...And by what you are saying I have the feeling that you are simply a tea drinker, no offense.

Tea is a part of my life and it is also a way of life. I have tried many ways of preparations, experiencing is part of the pleasure in tea and I found out that the best way for me to enjoy tea is the traditional brewing method...I am sorry for you if you found this method difficult with non sense. But remember "kung fu", or gong fu, doesn't only refer to the art of kicking ass. It does mean "great skills and patience" litterally, and maybe you didn't take the time to acquire these skills to feel the difference between western way of brewing tea and traditional way. All I can say is that at the end the best tea is the one that fits you, so cheers.
PeteVu wrote:everyone knows u went to china etc. you keep dropping hints of that to imply that u know more about tea than anyone else simply because u went to china.
Again you make assumption but allow me to clarify something for you, I didn't go to China...I LIVE in China and how blessed I am, all I have been doing for the last 2 years is learning Chinese tea in China everyday, every week, participating in harvest in Anxi and more.

SEb

Ps: if you are of Chinese decendence, you should be happy that there are some people like me that fights to keep Chinese traditions alive.

+ Post Reply