Oct 1st, '22, 14:37

Kettle doesn't have correct settings for my teas

by magicbob » Oct 1st, '22, 14:37

Hi -

I am new at becoming serious about my tea and recently bought a highly rated kettle with many settings but the settings don't match the settings required on the Adagio teas I purchased.

For example, The Mocha Nut Mate setting is 150F.

The closest settings on my kettle are 140 and 158.

I purchased this kettle specifically for black teas that need less than a boiling temperature which I can manage just with my usual whistling kettle.

Some other teas also don't match it's settings exactly.

So I am thinking if I can't set the accurate temp listed on each tea (in some cases) do I really need a kettle like this?

Should I just get a water temperature thermometer, let it whistle, take it off the stove and then check the temp in a certain amount of time later? How much later?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Oct 3rd, '22, 10:04

Re: Kettle doesn't have correct settings for my teas

by Bridgette » Oct 3rd, '22, 10:04

magicbob wrote: Hi -

I am new at becoming serious about my tea and recently bought a highly rated kettle with many settings but the settings don't match the settings required on the Adagio teas I purchased.

I purchased this kettle specifically for black teas that need less than a boiling temperature which I can manage just with my usual whistling kettle.

So I am thinking if I can't set the accurate temp listed on each tea (in some cases) do I really need a kettle like this?

Should I just get a water temperature thermometer, let it whistle, take it off the stove and then check the temp in a certain amount of time later? How much later?

Thanks for your help.

Bob
Hey Bob! You can compensate different steeping times to adjust for different temperatures. For example, for the mate - instead of 150 for 3-5 minutes, you could do 158 for 3-4 minutes to your taste.

I find playing around with recommended temperatures and steeping times is key to making your perfect cup, even if your kettle has every temperature setting you can think of. Some teas I prefer more heat, shorter time - others less heat, longer time, and even some teas, less heat, less time. It also depends if you're going for one infusion or multiple. Tea is an art and a science. There's no one right answer, but you can be scientific to produce the results you enjoy best.
Adagio Online Community Manager

Oct 4th, '22, 19:37

by magicbob » Oct 4th, '22, 19:37

Bridgette wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Bob
Hey Bob! You can compensate different steeping times to adjust for different temperatures. For example, for the mate - instead of 150 for 3-5 minutes, you could do 158 for 3-4 minutes to your taste.

I find playing around with recommended temperatures and steeping times is key to making your perfect cup, even if your kettle has every temperature setting you can think of. Some teas I prefer more heat, shorter time - others less heat, longer time, and even some teas, less heat, less time. It also depends if you're going for one infusion or multiple. Tea is an art and a science. There's no one right answer, but you can be scientific to produce the results you enjoy best.
Hi Bridgette,

Based on whether I will do only one steep or two, does that mean less time for the first steep if doing a 2nd? If not, enlighten me :-)

Thank you.

Oct 5th, '22, 09:56

by Bridgette » Oct 5th, '22, 09:56

magicbob wrote:
Bridgette wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Hi Bridgette,

Based on whether I will do only one steep or two, does that mean less time for the first steep if doing a 2nd? If not, enlighten me :-)

Thank you.
It depends on the tea itself and if you're brewing gongfu style.

In general, if you're steeping like a typical western-er (in an infuser/mug or cup, or in a teapot) and a unflavored black tea, I would say it wouldn't effect your first infusion. Subsequent infusions might need higher temperatures or longer steep times.

It all depends on your taste, the style of infusion, and the tea itself. Each tea might require different finessing.
Adagio Online Community Manager

Oct 28th, '22, 13:30

by DragonPriestess » Oct 28th, '22, 13:30

I do mine a very simple way.

I just use a very small pot, pour in about 14oz of water, and turn up the heat. Just use an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature until it's where you need it. I usually take it off about 2 degrees off from the ideal temp, because of residual heating. If it gets too hot, just let it sit until it cools down to desired temp.

+ Post Reply