Mar 8th, '23, 18:37

where to buy real yixing teapot

by lotustea » Mar 8th, '23, 18:37

Hello,

Does anyone know which websites sell teapot make from real yixing clay?
Has anyone buy real yixing teapot from
https://www.teavivre.com/heart-sutra-xi ... eapot.html

Mar 10th, '23, 11:54

Re: where to buy real yixing teapot

by Bridgette » Mar 10th, '23, 11:54

lotustea wrote: Hello,

Does anyone know which websites sell teapot make from real yixing clay?
Has anyone buy real yixing teapot from
https://www.teavivre.com/heart-sutra-xi ... eapot.html
Hey there! We sell real Yixing on Adagio and Masters Teas!
Adagio Online Community Manager

May 3rd, '23, 10:52

by 12Tea » May 3rd, '23, 10:52

Personally have a very positive experience with Teasenz. The most Yixing teapots they offer are within 100-300USD range, and given the quality of the pots they are great value. I always receive them in a good box with the artist's certificate.

May 4th, '23, 14:35

by lotustea » May 4th, '23, 14:35

12Tea wrote: Personally have a very positive experience with Teasenz. The most Yixing teapots they offer are within 100-300USD range, and given the quality of the pots they are great value. I always receive them in a good box with the artist's certificate.
Thanks for the suggestion. Teasenz does has some nice teapots. I do not think cheap zisha teapots are semi-handmade or fully handmade. However, if the teapot look nice and the clay has no chemical add to it then it is ok for some customers.

May 15th, '23, 22:06

by bagua7 » May 15th, '23, 22:06

Modern Yixing but quality is good. Vendor is based in HK:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_ ... lukevecent

May 17th, '23, 12:30

by lotustea » May 17th, '23, 12:30

bagua7 wrote: Modern Yixing but quality is good. Vendor is based in HK:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_ ... lukevecent
Thank you. The price is very nice for good quality clay handmade teapot. How does he do it??? I’m looking for bigger teapot than what he has right now. I will regularly check his listing for bigger teapot.

May 18th, '23, 23:36

by bagua7 » May 18th, '23, 23:36

I have several of his pots and no issues or whatsoever with them after brewing tea in them for about 10 years now. Purchased a couple more in 2016-2017.

No idea where he sources his pots at that lower cost. He normally sells in the range of 75-120mL capacities.

May 23rd, '23, 13:17

by lotustea » May 23rd, '23, 13:17

12Tea wrote: Personally have a very positive experience with Teasenz. The most Yixing teapots they offer are within 100-300USD range, and given the quality of the pots they are great value. I always receive them in a good box with the artist's certificate.
hello,

What do you think of their yixing teapot clay quality? They have some nice teapot but the price is rather low to be pure yixing clay.

May 23rd, '23, 13:22

by lotustea » May 23rd, '23, 13:22

I like this one they have. Lu ni should be very expensive and rare. I’m wary this one is not real luni.
https://www.teasenz.com/mo-lu-ni

Jun 1st, '23, 23:38

by bagua7 » Jun 1st, '23, 23:38

It's modern Yixing clay, legit too. They brew tea nicely without adding anything extra (funky stuff) to the tasting notes.

That "mo luni" pot is modern coloured clay with cobalt oxide. Nothing wrong with that but quality mo lu ni have a different shade like the one depicted here:

https://www.christies.com/features/A-gu ... 709-3.aspx

And it's not dark green as stated by Teasenz but "dark blue."

Old Luni is still coloured though but they used better clays and superb craftsmanship. Factory pots had access to top clay whereas craftsmanship wasn't that good, still Factory 1 pots are highly desirable due to clay quality.

Here's one "luni" I have, an early 80s factory pot:

You can also find genuine YX pots here:

https://essenceoftea.com/collections/yixing-teapots

And whenever available (as this vendor runs out of stock pretty fast) here too:

https://www.jingteashop.com/collections/yixing-teapot

Jun 2nd, '23, 15:57

by lotustea » Jun 2nd, '23, 15:57

bagua7 wrote: It's modern Yixing clay, legit too. They brew tea nicely without adding anything extra (funky stuff) to the tasting notes.

That "mo luni" pot is modern coloured clay with cobalt oxide. Nothing wrong with that but quality mo lu ni have a different shade like the one depicted here:

https://www.christies.com/features/A-gu ... 709-3.aspx

And it's not dark green as stated by Teasenz but "dark blue."

Old Luni is still coloured though but they used better clays and superb craftsmanship. Factory pots had access to top clay whereas craftsmanship wasn't that good, still Factory 1 pots are highly desirable due to clay quality.

Here's one "luni" I have, an early 80s factory pot:

You can also find genuine YX pots here:

https://essenceoftea.com/collections/yixing-teapots

And whenever available (as this vendor runs out of stock pretty fast) here too:

https://www.jingteashop.com/collections/yixing-teapot
Thanks. I know these websites. I recently bought 2 teapots from realzisha.com and The Chinese Tea Company. I think they are pure zisha, but I have not use them long enough or experience enough to say definitely that they are pure zisha.

Jun 3rd, '23, 06:09

by bagua7 » Jun 3rd, '23, 06:09

The shiny pots from The Chinese Tea Company avoid; they are low quality and overpriced. And in some instances fake zisha.

No idea about the first link but certificates mean nothing in this business.

I linked well-known sources on this forum recommended by regular and highly knowledgeable users in the past who are now inactive.

Jun 4th, '23, 19:10

by lotustea » Jun 4th, '23, 19:10

bagua7 wrote: The shiny pots from The Chinese Tea Company avoid; they are low quality and overpriced. And in some instances fake zisha.

I linked well-known sources on this forum recommended by regular and highly knowledgeable users in the past who are now inactive.
Yeah, the certificate mean little. If the teapot can be fake then the certificate can be fake even easier. I bought 1 yixing teapot before with cerificate and it smell. How do you know the shiny teapot on The Chinese Tea Company is fake or low quality? Do you have experience with them or know someone who has experience with them or do you judge by looking at their pictures. Shiny yixing teapot does raise suspicion. Maybe it just the picture. The one I bought from The Chinese Tea Company is not shiny and it appear to have all the quality mention by mudandleaves. I don’t have a reason to suspect them of selling low quality or fake pot. However, I’m not experience so who know. I was looking at those two links you gave before, but didn’t find what I like. I think they are old teapots. They are mostly small in size. I don’t think teapots on The Chinese Tea Company are overprice because they are not simple and plain teapot like essenseoftea. I think it is a matter if they are real and good quality. I don’t mind paying higher for a prettier and bigger teapot, I just don’t want to pay for the fake stuff, especially fake stuff with chemical.

Jun 5th, '23, 18:29

by lotustea » Jun 5th, '23, 18:29

bagua7 wrote: The shiny pots from The Chinese Tea Company avoid; they are low quality and overpriced. And in some instances fake zisha.

What do you mean by low quality? Do you mean a clay that is not zisha, or a chemical enhance clay or zisha clay that is mix with other clay or clay that is not mine in Yixing? Is there low quality zisha clay that is 100% pure zisha? Does pure zisha clay have different quality level?

does lao/age zisha clay better than new clay by improve tea quality? I read that lao zisha allow artist to make the teapot easier, but don’t know what benefit the clay give to us tea drinker. It only cost more.

Jun 5th, '23, 22:27

by bagua7 » Jun 5th, '23, 22:27

Maybe you were lucky and managed to score a good pot from TCTC, but trust me what I saw didn't impress me.

Old pots brew better because they use better clay with little or no extra chemicals to enhance the look of the pot.

But also old pots are not cheap and are difficult to find and almost impossible online.

Yes;

1. Little zisha used.
2. No zisha at all. Who knows what the dodgy Yixing potters (or outside Yixing region most likely) are really using. Lots of chemicals involved ---> ruin your tea.

I pretty much use now gaiwan to avoid damaging my pots, also easier to clean, manage the tea you put in without adding too much and ending up with an overbearing amount of leaves; and also out (easier to clean up the vessel); plus you also truly get all the notes and taste of the tea.

Do not get distracted by the looks of a pot. Better pots aren't shiny. Plain and simple shui ping shape is the most enjoyable and practical pot shape for brewing gong fu tea.

I noticed no difference between brewing tea using the Factory 1 pots I have and the HK seller's pots listed on eBay.

I have a couple of smaller (85mL) modern zhuni pots I purchased from him and they truly brew excellent gaoshan tea (Taiwan high mountain oolongs). I doubt an old zhuni pot from the 1960s worth several grand would brew better tea than my two pots. But for the sake of convenience I still use a 100mL porcelain gaiwan to brew those teas and to be honest don't care too much about the pots. It's only an artistic and cultural experience. What matters the most is good tea and quality (and if possible from spring sources) water.

Hope this all makes sense now.

Note: there are many grades of zisha used by YX potters and like in any business the higher the grade the more you pay.

There is another vendor I forgot about I purchased from him premium puerh tea and the quality is very high. The pots listed are nice and in the biggest sizes you prefer.

https://globalteahut.org/collections/al ... ware,Books

+ Post Reply