Rice and Tea

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.


Jul 23rd, '07, 20:50

Rice and Tea

by Deleted User #6680 » Jul 23rd, '07, 20:50

Planning on making some brown rice tomorrow (among other things, of course). I'd like to incorporate tea, as I've read it's a common practice in the East? I have one recipe, but I'd love to view some others. Can anyone help me out here? I've looked around this site, but had a difficult time finding specific references to rice.

Would appreciate any insight or advice, as this won't be my first time cooking with tea, but will be the first time with Rice.

Thanks!

User avatar
Jul 23rd, '07, 21:02
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

by Chip » Jul 23rd, '07, 21:02

...simple matcha rice...

About one teaspoon food grade Japanese matcha per cup dry rice. I would stress the Japanese part since their are other counties producing an inferior product. Mix the matcha into the water before adding rice. You will definately notice the matcha flavor.

For a slightly bolder effect, add the matcha after around 10-15 minutes cooking, but, it can be a little courser in texture.

Gyokuro rice. After brewing gyokuro for 3 steeps, incorporate into either cooking or cooked rice. See the green tea thread labeled "shizuku cha" for a video link.

Jul 24th, '07, 00:21

Thanks

by Deleted User #6680 » Jul 24th, '07, 00:21

chip wrote:...simple matcha rice...

About one teaspoon food grade Japanese matcha per cup dry rice. I would stress the Japanese part since their are other counties producing an inferior product. Mix the matcha into the water before adding rice. You will definately notice the matcha flavor.

For a slightly bolder effect, add the matcha after around 10-15 minutes cooking, but, it can be a little courser in texture.

Gyokuro rice. After brewing gyokuro for 3 steeps, incorporate into either cooking or cooked rice. See the green tea thread labeled "shizuku cha" for a video link.
Appreciate the advice. I've been trying out Matcha powder here and there, as it's becoming somewhat prevalent (smoothies, etc.), but haven't been too pleased with my experiences thus far.

However, for my food tomorrow, I was thinking more along the lines of brewing loose tea, as I've seen with other Rice recipes.

One main concern is maximizing the health benefit. I've often read that loose tea provides more antioxidants than do bags and/or powdered tea (ex. from this website: http://www.adagio.com/info/health_benef ... 6108a59ea9). Nevertheless, and most importantly, I've read that matcha is actually HEALTHIER because we ingest the entire leaf, rather than simply the infused water? I presume this applies to cooking as well.

Is this a false notion? What are the views of the matcha supporters (and sellers :D )?

User avatar
Jul 24th, '07, 00:38
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

by Chip » Jul 24th, '07, 00:38

Matcha maximizes the health potential. And done right, it is awesome tasting. You cannot match the flavor with brewed looseleaf tea.

Perhaps it is the matcha you are using??? Just a thought.

But injesting the leaf if done right is the best.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 24th, '07, 02:42

by Deleted User #6680 » Jul 24th, '07, 02:42

chip wrote:Matcha maximizes the health potential. And done right, it is awesome tasting. You cannot match the flavor with brewed looseleaf tea.

Perhaps it is the matcha you are using??? Just a thought.

But injesting the leaf if done right is the best.
Any particular Matcha suggestions specifically for cooking? Other than getting it online, are Asian markets the best place to find this stuff?

The entire cooking with tea thing has fascinated me, but I've quickly learned how, eh, unpleasant some food/tea combinations can be. Lots of trial and error. :?

Thanks for your help.

+ Post Reply