Aug 31st, '07, 23:57
Scrolling: scrolling

Uniformitea?

by fencerdenoctum » Aug 31st, '07, 23:57

Hullooo all,

I've been looking into snatching up a Yixing and a tokoname pot but I can't seem to find something resembling a set. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

My real question though, with Yixing and Tokoname ware does uniformity (i.e. cups to match) really matter?

The Tea Sipping Swordsman
Fencerdenoctum

Sep 1st, '07, 00:53

by Space Samurai » Sep 1st, '07, 00:53

Japanese Teaism stresses the importance of avoiding uniformity from what I understand. And I can say that I have yet to see a quality Tokoname set.

Of course it goes without saying (but sometimes not with this group :) ) that that is my opinion. Your idea of quality may differ from my own.

As far as Yixing goes, in the end I pieced together my own gong fu set rather than keep trying to find one that came all together. All my pots, Tokoname or Yixing, gaiwans, tea cups and cha wans are all earth tones and go together nicely, so depending on how much uniformtiy you are interested in, its not hard to piece together items that compliment each other.

Sep 1st, '07, 02:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Sep 1st, '07, 02:24

I'd say you're probably better off piecing together your own set, there's no particular reason that they have to be 100% matching. By buying the pieces separately you will probably end up with better quality for each piece, and likely at a similar price. Most of the time that you find sets you'll find some things to be of lesser quality, although I am sure there are exceptions. I would, however, recommend that you look around, as some places are way overpriced. The best prices I've found for most things are on eBay stores; check out Dragon Tea House, Yunnan Sourcing, Chinese Teapot Gallery, and the seller "caleen6". These sellers are well established and reliable tea/teaware vendors, and not just people selling stuff from their basement.

+ Post Reply