Here's my problem. For the first infusion I can pour hot water into the ingenuitea to preheat it, then drain the water into my mug to preheat that. Add the tea to the ingenuitea, add hot water, brew, drink, good times.
When I come back to do a 2nd infusion, generally 30min-1hr later, the ingenuitea has cooled to basically room temperature. Since the tea leaves are already in the ingenuitea, I can't preheat it for the 2nd infusion. I've measured basically a 15F temperature loss pouring hot water into a room temperature ingenuitea.
What should I do to compensate for the temperature loss on subsequent infusions?
I could pour hot water in, wait a couple seconds, drain it, then fill it again. But I think that would take away from my 2nd infusion since I would be throwing out partially brewed tea water. I could heat my water 15F hotter than what I actually want it to be, but I worry that the leaves would be affected by the hotter temperature while the water slowly lowers 15F as it heats the room temperature ingenuitea. Plus, if I was already trying to use boiling water this would mean I would never have a temperature of 212F since I can't get the water 15F higher than 212F.
What to do?
ingenuitea help
Do a lot of people re-use their tea for 2nd infusions?? I understand that on a 2nd infusion you lose the antioxidant, caffeine and/or vitamins in the teas???
Oct 12th, '07, 12:06
Posts: 18
Joined: Oct 8th, '07, 17:16
Location: Sacto, Kalifornia
Contact:
DethChef
I always reinfuse my loose tea. I'm not sure about nutrient loss, but it still has flavor.
As far as pre-heating goes, i'm sure it helps, but really once you have your tea infused you have a lot more working against brew temp besides the container. You have the wet, cold tea itself to cool it. I'd just compensate a little with hotter water.
As far as pre-heating goes, i'm sure it helps, but really once you have your tea infused you have a lot more working against brew temp besides the container. You have the wet, cold tea itself to cool it. I'd just compensate a little with hotter water.
Oct 12th, '07, 13:17
Posts: 1559
Joined: Jan 28th, '07, 02:24
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Contact:
Space Samurai
Re: ingenuitea help
I think many of us aren't particularly concerned with the antioxidants or health value of tea. Sure its an added bonus, but flavor and enjoyment are much more important. And tossing the leaves after the first infusion can often be a waste of some perfectly good tea.jpetty421 wrote:Do a lot of people re-use their tea for 2nd infusions?? I understand that on a 2nd infusion you lose the antioxidant, caffeine and/or vitamins in the teas???
Oct 13th, '07, 01:08
Posts: 552
Joined: Aug 23rd, '07, 00:42
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.
Contact:
skywarrior
Re: ingenuitea help
I generally don't because I feel the tea gets too weak. But I just tried the pumpkin tea and found the first infusion very strong. The second was about right. I suspect I will use less tea with it.jpetty421 wrote:Do a lot of people re-use their tea for 2nd infusions?? I understand that on a 2nd infusion you lose the antioxidant, caffeine and/or vitamins in the teas???