Is anybody an expert on Darjeelings?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Dec 5th, '07, 03:37
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 21st, '05, 17:40

Is anybody an expert on Darjeelings?

by jashnew » Dec 5th, '07, 03:37

Is anybody out there an expert on Darjeelings? I got this new book called the Little Black Book of Tea. They stated that Darjeelings from the Arya estate is considered the best Darjeeling. I went ahead and bought a sample. It was the first flush. It was good. Light, fruity and fresh. Overall very good. Not astringent even for a first flush. Anybody have any thoughts on Arya Estate tea.
There are two things I love, tea and rooibos http://www.teacontent.com/

User avatar
Dec 5th, '07, 04:34
Posts: 1598
Joined: Jan 11th, '07, 21:13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

by scruffmcgruff » Dec 5th, '07, 04:34

I don't think any one estate is "the best" per se, but Arya is supposed to be very good. Organic too, IIRC. Glad you liked it! :)
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

User avatar
Dec 5th, '07, 04:49
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd, '06, 00:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

by Chip » Dec 5th, '07, 04:49

I seem to get Arya and Makaibari exclusively from Darjeeling. I am not an organic fanatic, but I still feel good about these 2 organic estates. Plus I have only had good experiences with their teas.

Darjeeling tea really rocks, but I prefer it occasionally instead of everyday. When I drank blacks everyday, I used to favor a more approachable Keemun.

Dec 5th, '07, 19:26
Posts: 50
Joined: Nov 29th, '07, 22:29
Location: Washington, DC

by divintea » Dec 5th, '07, 19:26

This makes me want to travel to India and visit the estate! I bet the smell is outta this world... mmm.

Dec 9th, '07, 19:46
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 21st, '05, 17:40

by jashnew » Dec 9th, '07, 19:46

This weekend I got some Darjeeling from the Arya Estate. It was their Topaz blend. It had a very light floral tatse and was very naturally sweet. Good but I wouldn't get it again. If anybody is a Darjeeling fan and hasn't tried Darjeeling from the Singbulli Estate try that one. I also reccommend getting the second flush. It's less astringent.
There are two things I love, tea and rooibos http://www.teacontent.com/